Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken versus the Rain

Options
I was a bit oblivious as to when the rain was going to be sweeping through the area (Columbia, Maryland). I knew it was heading our way, I just thought it would be later tonight.

As I was putting a chicken on, the clouds were quickly getting dark and and the wind started to pick up. Ruh roh!

Not wanting the rain water to enter the egg through the top/daisy wheel, I had to think of a high tech solution. Turns out, a little foil goes a long way and actually held up well against the wind.  LOL

Set the Large BGE up for an indirect cook, apple wood chips soaked for 45 minutes and were added to BGE lump coal, and apple juice/water in the drip pan. Interior: Cut lemons and garlic were stuffed in the cavity and the chicken was trussed (poorly I might add - I need to practice that). Exterior: I put olive oil and a store bought rub (Virginia Coastal Premium Poultry Rub) all over the outside of the chicken.  The chicken cooked at 350'ish F for a bit over 1 hour and 20 minutes until the internal temp hit 170 F.  Pulled it off and let it rest for 10 minutes before shredding and serving up to the wife person and Minis.

The wife and kids approved of the end result. Me thinks... it's good; but, I can improve on this...

Until next time, happy cooking!

Low Country EggHead
Charleston, South Carolina
Large BGE (2016-05) & XXL BGE (2016-11)

Comments

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,359
    Options
    Looks great! I spatchcocked one this week and pulled it for some salad. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Looks good from here. My smell o vision is broken, so I'll stop to verify
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Looks good from here. Nice new gasket! Fwiw, there is no need to add the liquid in the drip pan. The egg is an extremely moist environment. Although it doesn't appear to have hurt your efforts at all. 
  • Great_EGGspectations
    Options
    Fwiw, there is no need to add the liquid in the drip pan. The egg is an extremely moist environment. Although it doesn't appear to have hurt your efforts at all. 
    Appreciate the feedback!  It was a little water with mostly apple juice in the drip pan.  I have it in my head that apple juice is a good thing.  Maybe it helps, maybe not... either way... tasted really good!  
    Low Country EggHead

• leemschu
    leemschu Posts: 609
    Options
    I spatchcocked on yesterday. I like to pull mine at 140 breast temp. Usually thighs are around 160 then.
    Dyersburg, TN
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    Or you can get your egg a bonnet.....I've had some condensate in the temp gauge for the last 30 days...thinking about drilling a verrrry small hole on the bottom in the 6 o'clock position.
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • 1move
    1move Posts: 516
    Options
    Yeah I like my Smokeware cap for that exact reason

XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • Great_EGGspectations
    Options
    Being relatively new, I have yet to pick up the eggcessories that'll help prevent the rain from entering the dome through the daisy wheel.  All in good time...  Thanks for sharing your set-up, Gunnar and 1move!
    Low Country EggHead