Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mem Day Brisket Cook takeaways and what was learned

Options
hey all.  Thanks to everyome who participated and posted your processes and results.  special thanks to shane at srf for the generous award of a prime packer brisket to a lucky winner in @minniemoh.

So last week was a tune up for this week when some buddies came over.   I decided to make one brisket and one bone in shoulder for last nites party.  Both were a hit based on what i learned last week.   I would havetaken picta but i killed so many brain cells last nite i think my cell phome is at thr bottom of my pool i havebeen too scared to go look....

What i learned last week from all of you is the following:

Trim hard fat off but dont trim too much interior fat off

Dont panic when it stalls, and the ftc getsyou thru the stall, and the stall is caused by the meat sweating and carrying off heat

Its ok to cook at a higher heat, like 250 or even more on brisket

Last week we observed National Brisket Day

Monitor internal temperature 

And the most important takeaway from last week was that EggNation has a lot of skilled dudes and gals who love making great briskets!

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    I will offer that one astute cook mentioned that the care and feeding of a brisket cook can be more demanding than a pork butt.  I am wondering if you saw that during your time with functioning brain cells and the brisket and butt cook.  
    For the win... it's all about the feel...  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    One thing that I learned for sure is that a 38 pounder will not fit on the large  =)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    @lousubcap.   I definitely see the more maintenance intensiveness with brisket.  Shoulder is more or less let er go until shes done.  On brisket it is a checking for the stall and wrapping but man when it is done it is oh so worth it....

But in both cases it is all about how they feel.   A nice jiggly brisket and fall apart pork shoulder have that wow factor when you cook for a party.  BGE makes it that much better and over the top.....

And i put a few beers down and i did find my cell phone, thankfully it was not in the pool but i didmt get picts last nite.  Both meats were home runs tho!

• lousubcap
    Options
    @westernbbq - Thanks and great save with the phone-better to be lucky than good any day ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • westernbbq
    Options
    Amen brotha!  I started drinking beer at 5 last nite. Took mea
    T off at 730 and by then i was 4 beers into a 9 beer bender.  All is good tho!
  • lousubcap
    Options
    I have some BGE house adult beverage rules that can seriously contribute to a dark and stormy day/night:  light the BGE (time independent) time for an adult beverage; food on means time for an adult beverage.  Once thru steps 1 and 2 then as desired to reach and sustain the requisite level of adult supervisory oversight for the duration.   To each their own-

• Mama Roneck
    Mama Roneck Posts: 386
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Thanks again @westernbbq for organizing and inspiring so many of us to bring it on for Memorial Day.  

And thanks again to SRF for your low-key generosity.  Been on this forum for a long time (mostly lurking!), and that approach seems to go a long way around here.

We cooked a wagyu for pretty great results and the takeaway from my cook is that I don't think I'll bother with choice or select briskets anymore.  In my experience with those grades, you're much more likely to get a sub-par result unless you get lucky and nail every part of the cook.  And especially in my neck of the woods where a select can be > $5/lb, there's just no point in anything less than prime.

Others on the forum have pointed this out several times - some times it takes a while to sink in!
    Mamaroneck
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I have a some very, very picky eaters at my house when it comes to brisket. First, the window for victory is wide open, however, the strike zone for My Beautiful Wife and our lovely children is about the size of the opening of a coffee cup.
    This last brisket seemed to be the one that worked for everybody. First, temperature is nothing but a guideline and should never be used to determine whether the brisket is done. I did a prime and I pulled at 183F IT. It was perfect. I wrapped in BP at 165F,  and my temp in the grate was 235F and dome was around 275F. The injection was key. Cherry smoke gave it a full and beautiful ring.
    It will be done this way in the future.
    Still learning, but this was got me hero status.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • westernbbq
    Options
    most excellwnt @YukonRon.    I agree that there is no one way that applies every time, eg the temp serves as a guide.  But when you go by feel, and practice will get you there, consistent brisket results that appeal to everyome you do them for is likely.
  • BBQBuddy
    BBQBuddy Posts: 275
    edited June 2016
    Options
    In the future, I will definitely do only prime.  My "choice" was good, I'm sure prime will take it over the top.  And, I just realized I live only 1/2 hr. from the FOGO warehouse in Miami.  I think I'll be trying FOGO this week!!   It's all good...
    2 Large BGE, MiniMax, Miami, FL

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,746
    Options
    I was extremely happy with how my first brisket turned out, but I do have a question for anyone who can answer my question. I pulled out after the FTC and it sat for a few minutes before I started slicing. It sliced pretty good, but when I would pick up a slice it would fall apart. I was literally unable to do the pull test because it would break in half when I picked up a slice. I had no complaints because it was tender, juicy and delicious, but just wondering if maybe I should have waited longer to slice or if it was a sign I overcooked, over-FTC'd or god knows what else. Definitely nit-picking here, but just wondering if anyone knows what the "issue" might have been?
    Stillwater, MN
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    I was extremely happy with how my first brisket turned out, but I do have a question for anyone who can answer my question. I pulled out after the FTC and it sat for a few minutes before I started slicing. It sliced pretty good, but when I would pick up a slice it would fall apart. I was literally unable to do the pull test because it would break in half when I picked up a slice. I had no complaints because it was tender, juicy and delicious, but just wondering if maybe I should have waited longer to slice or if it was a sign I overcooked, over-FTC'd or god knows what else. Definitely nit-picking here, but just wondering if anyone knows what the "issue" might have been?
    Falling apart sounds like a little overcooked, though "tender, juicy and delicious " sounds like a win in any event. 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,746
    Options
    Thanks 20stone. I suspected that might be the case. Knowing that, I'm feeling fortunate that it didn't dry out.
    Stillwater, MN
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    I've only done a very few briskets so far, but this last on was a home run for me.  I injected and wrapped for the first time and will definitely continue to do that.  My bride usually doesn't care for brisket or chuck ribs (too much fat), but she loved this one.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    I had the same issue with mine. I took it off the egg and then second-guessed myself and put it back on for another hour or so. Mine was tasty but it was overcooked. If I had gone with my gut and just FTC'd without overthinking it, I believe I would have hit my mark.

At any rate, congrats on your first brisket cook! Im sure yours was delicious. Even the subpar ones are still worth eating.  =)
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • 20stone
    Options
    Thanks 20stone. I suspected that might be the case. Knowing that, I'm feeling fortunate that it didn't dry out.
    Happy to help, though I am not much more experienced at brisket than most.

Two other things that I do, that I think make a difference:
    • I am pro-water pan.  I understand that high humidity helps smoke adhesion and powering through the stall
    • I am a butcher paper wrapper, typically at 165ish, to facilitate powering through the stall
    That being said, the real key is "feeling the wobble" and pulling it at the right time.  My game benefited immeasurably from Brisket Camp I (thanks @nolaegghead) and groping CenTex's and SGH's briskets. 

(now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    SGH said:
    One thing that I learned for sure is that a 38 pounder will not fit on the large  =)

And will cause a fella to go MIA for days....
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    20stone said:
    Happy to help, though I am not much more experienced at brisket than most.

Two other things that I do, that I think make a difference:
    • I am pro-water pan.  I understand that high humidity helps smoke adhesion and powering through the stall
    • I am a butcher paper wrapper, typically at 165ish, to facilitate powering through the stall
    That being said, the real key is "feeling the wobble" and pulling it at the right time.  My game benefited immeasurably from Brisket Camp I (thanks @nolaegghead) and groping CenTex's and SGH's briskets. 

CenTex and @SGH have wobbly pecs?

I guess it happens to the best of them...

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• 20stone
    Options
    Foghorn said:

In a word, yes.  The upside is that if you close your eyes....
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    20stone said:
    Foghorn said:

In a word, yes.  The upside is that if you close your eyes....

I guess I have nobody to blame but myself for the depth to which this thread has sunk....

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    ... I did a prime and I pulled at 183F IT. It was perfect. I wrapped in BP at 165F,  and my temp in the grate was 235F and dome was around 275F. The injection was key. Cherry smoke gave it a full and beautiful ring....
    I'm no brisket expert, have never seen a packer in my area, have only cooked a few flats.  But I've pulled them only when they probed done, regardless of temperature.  You said you pulled yours at 183°, and I am positive I've never pulled one that "cool."  However, I've usually just let mine sit on the counter for 20 minutes or so before slicing, not hours of FTC at 140°, so maybe that's the difference.  Did yours "cook" longer in the FTC?

The main thing I'm curious about is what told you that it was ready to pull at that point?  (NOT arguing!  Hoping to learn more.)
  • SGH
    Options
    That is simply not true. I never responded to my own thread. But look on the "whatever are you doing now" thread. Also look on a couple of Rons threads. I did not miss a single day posting. Folks just kept looking for me on that particular thread. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    SGH said:
    That is simply not true. I never responded to my own thread. But look on the "whatever are you doing now" thread. Also look on a couple of Rons threads. I did not miss a single day posting. Folks just kept looking for me on that particular thread. 
    Kinda weird that you'd abandonall that theead, but whatever floats your boat. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • SGH
    Options
    No, it's really not. I explained that I simply did not want to say anything that may discourage folks from buying meat from Cen Texs friend. I was trying to do what I believed to be the right thing. Rather I was right or wrong it seemed like the right choice. 

Status- Standing by.

• yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    SGH said:
    No, it's really not. I explained that I simply did not want to say anything that may discourage folks from buying meat from Cen Texs friend. I was trying to do what I believed to be the right thing. Rather I was right or wrong it seemed like the right choice. 
    I'm all in on what you said. Cooked a few of the recipes you have posted. Starting my diet this Friday. Wow....the best but damn you must have a fast metabolic system. :|   
  • SGH
    Options
    yljkt said:
    SGH 
    I'm all in on what you said. Cooked a few of the recipes you have posted. Starting my diet this Friday. 
    I'm honored my friend. Certainly hope that you  enjoyed them. Sorry to hear about the diet though ;)

Status- Standing by.

• FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    SGH said:

As someone who has to be careful about what I say online on a few sites, and about certain things.. It's pretty telling when someone stops talking about something, good or bad.. it's generally bad.

Not trying to bark up the wrong tree- but right or wrong, it would have done more justice to the rancher, and his beef to explain what someone else was able to do just as well in your place.
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Theophan said:
    YukonRon said:
    ... I did a prime and I pulled at 183F IT. It was perfect. I wrapped in BP at 165F,  and my temp in the grate was 235F and dome was around 275F. The injection was key. Cherry smoke gave it a full and beautiful ring....
    I'm no brisket expert, have never seen a packer in my area, have only cooked a few flats.  But I've pulled them only when they probed done, regardless of temperature.  You said you pulled yours at 183°, and I am positive I've never pulled one that "cool."  However, I've usually just let mine sit on the counter for 20 minutes or so before slicing, not hours of FTC at 140°, so maybe that's the difference.  Did yours "cook" longer in the FTC?

The main thing I'm curious about is what told you that it was ready to pull at that point?  (NOT arguing!  Hoping to learn more.)
    I started checking after it came out of the stall. It was odd, to say the least. It went from around 165F IT to 180 in minutes. I did a quick probe, and there was no resistance. I pulled then BPTC for a couple hours. Then served. I am sure the residual heat took it further, the cooler was very warm when I opened it. It may had to do with it completely untried while cooking. I have done that twice,and both were top notch. They were both a real mess to trim afterwards too.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    yljkt said:
    SGH said:
    I'm all in on what you said. Cooked a few of the recipes you have posted. Starting my diet this Friday. Wow....the best but damn you must have a fast metabolic system. :|   
    Good luck. I've been "eating healthy" for a while now. It sucks. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    I started checking after it came out of the stall. It was odd, to say the least. It went from around 165F IT to 180 in minutes. I did a quick probe, and there was no resistance. I pulled then BPTC for a couple hours. Then served. I am sure the residual heat took it further, the cooler was very warm when I opened it. It may had to do with it completely untried while cooking. I have done that twice,and both were top notch. They were both a real mess to trim afterwards too.
    Again, I haven't cooked many briskets, and only flats, but I don't think I've had one probe to no resistance at 180-something.  I might be wrong, but I think I've always needed 190 or more before it really felt very soft.

And since my last brisket (a year or so ago, I think), I've gathered that the hotshots apparently think it's really important:
    • Not to FTC (or BPTC) until the temp has dropped back down to 140, because of a risk of overcooking in the cooler, but
    • To FTC (or BPTC) at that point for a few hours, because mellowing at 140 or below for at least a few hours apparently makes a big difference in how good it is.
    I've never held a brisket warm for very long.  I've always just let them rest on the counter for 20 minutes, half an hour maybe, but then sliced and ate.  I'm going to have to try another brisket, one of these days, and plan to do the cooler thing.

Thanks for the information!