Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Slot Dog Millionaire

Options
I like gadgets.  There, I said it.  I ordered a new thermo from Smokeware and added the SlotDog gadget to scratch my gadget itch.  So what hot dog to use it on?  We decided to employ the scientific method.  

The Koegel Viennas (our usual hot dog) have a skin and the Slot Dog gadget pretty much mashed it.

Settled the egg in at 500.

Done.

We we cut them in thirds so we all can sample each one.  Mustard & dill relish for me.

The skinless dogs worked better.  As advertised, they made carmelized edges that turned crispy and the condiments gripped it better.

More experiments are needed before I can tell if it was worth the $20.  We had fun tonight though.  Thanks for looking.
Flint, Michigan

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Fred, I gave one of those to one of my customers. Picked it up a couple months ago. Please follow up when you do them again. Thanks. $20 seems steep, but if you're cookin a bunch, maybe? Dishwasher safe, right?
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Top rack safe.  We had fun playing scientist.  After using it more, we'll have a better feel of its worth.  
    Flint, Michigan
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,361
    Options
    Looks painful  
    Jacksonville FL
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    I got one down at the BBQ convention and use it all the time now.  I buy the natural casing hot dogs out of the deli at the market.  They're hard to pierce, but at 350-400 on the perimeter for about 3 minutes on each side, they come out awesome.  Any longer than that and they'll dry out--any hotter and they burn.

I tried it with some of the cheapy hot dogs someone brought over and the results were not as good.  It crushed them if I wasn't careful.

I've had it in the dishwasher dozens of time.....no worries.  Great toy, love it!
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I got one down at the BBQ convention and use it all the time now.  I buy the natural casing hot dogs out of the deli at the market.  They're hard to pierce, but at 350-400 on the perimeter for about 3 minutes on each side, they come out awesome.  Any longer than that and they'll dry out--any hotter and they burn.

I tried it with some of the cheapy hot dogs someone brought over and the results were not as good.  It crushed them if I wasn't careful.

I've had it in the dishwasher dozens of time.....no worries.  Great toy, love it!
    Thanks for the review Jonathon. 
  • BBQBuddy
    BBQBuddy Posts: 275
    Options
    I'd really like to know if that gadget works on my favorite dog, a Maverick Ranch Buffalo hotdog.  They are really good.
    2 Large BGE, MiniMax, Miami, FL

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I had to google it to see what the heck it was. 
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    BBQBuddy said:
    I'd really like to know if that gadget works on my favorite dog, a Maverick Ranch Buffalo hotdog.  They are really good.
    I'm no expert, but I think this thing works best on a skinless dog.  So if your buffalo dog is skinless, it should work great.  The Koegel Vienna is a more slender dog in a casing.  The Slot Dog gadget mashed it.  Perhaps there's a trick to using it on a natural casing dog that I don't know.  Also because the Vienna is more of a slender dog, that certainly contributed to getting mashed.
    Flint, Michigan
  • nhk19
    nhk19 Posts: 151
    Options
    LOL....I also bought one when I ordered my smokeware cap and roasting rack.  I'm a gadget guy too.  It works for me as advertised.  I like that it holds the condiments better....less dripping.
    XLBGE
    Lewisburg, PA
  • HoustonEgger
    HoustonEgger Posts: 616
    Options
    Love my slotdog. Originally thought it was just a gimmick but it does really perform and makes for a prettier dog
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • nhk19
    nhk19 Posts: 151
    Options
    I used it yesterday albeit, I used the gas grill in the garage as the rain was pouring.  But you get the idea. I'd buy another if it broke.  My wife made chilli sauce and everyone thought they held it better with them slotted.
    XLBGE
    Lewisburg, PA
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Been doing this for years with....a knife. Any knife. I'm sure this single purpose gadget does it faster but..... 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Been doing this for years with....a knife. Any knife. I'm sure this single purpose gadget does it faster but..... 
    @NPHuskerFL I think you just saved me 20 bucks 

Options
    @paqman
    Bet it doesn't do octopus dogs :wink:
    Heck, like I told the wife...I wanna be the cool Gpa when our Son gets married and blesses us with Grandchildren. 

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Picked up one of those spirals slicers for dogs at a kitchen outlet shop for about $10, it does the spiral trick from both ends of the wiener. I like this thing Fred - might just order one, saw it on Amazon (after reading your post) for <$20. 

@NPHuskerFL - love the octopus dogs - big hit with my grandkids, during non-egg days they like hairy wieners, where you put 1/2 sticks of pasta thru wiener slices....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • BBQBuddy
    Options
    Just heard from Maverick Ranch.  Their Buffalo Hotdogs are skinless!  On to Amazon....$$$$.....

• BBQBuddy
    Options
    Here they are - Maverick Ranch Buffalo dogs!  Slotdog worked great - I love it! Hubby still laughing at me...

• stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    kinda reminds me of the spiral cut dogs...same concept