Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

chicken thigh advice needed

Mark Backer
Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We are looking to do some chicken thighs for dinner tonight. Any advice on time/temp/setup would be great.[p]I'd also consider doing some "lo and slo" thighs if anyone's got some advice there too...[p]Thanks and Happy Fathers Day to all the Dad Eggers out there...[p]Todd

Comments

• Mark Backer,[p]Do the Dizzy Pig wing recipe you wont be sorry. Works great for thighs....You'll never do thighs any other way.
    [ul][li]http://www.bamaque.com/images/beef/beef short ribs.JPG[/ul]
  • Mark Backer,[p]Helps when you get the link right huh?
    [ul][li]http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/recipesWings.html[/ul]
  • GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    Mark Backer,[p]I rub'm in olive oil and Tsunami Spin, then place em on a raised grid at 250 for 3 hours, turning every 30 minutes. Raise the temp at the end to crisp the skins if you want or sauce em down.[p]I also toss in a nice chunk of Guava wood for it's delicate smoke. [p]I'm starting my batch later today.[p]Cheers,[p]GM

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • Mark Backer,
    One of my favorites is Bourbon Thighs.

[p] Bourbon Chicken[p]Recipe By :Bob Chrisp
    Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :[p] Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thigh
    1/2 cup soy sauce
    1/2 ounce bourbon
    1 clove garlic -- minced fine
    2 teaspoons fresh ginger -- grated
    2 tablespoons onion flakes
    1/2 cup dark brown sugar
    1/4 teaspoon hot chili paste, Tabasco or red pepper -- to taste
    2 teaspoons cornstarch
    2 tablespoons water[p]Mix Bourbon, soy sauce, brown sugar,garlic, ginger, (and hot stuff if desired!) in a small bowl. Let sit several minutes to let sugar to dissolve.
    Place chicken in 1 gal zip-lock bag. Add chicken, press air from bag and seal. Massage well to distribute marinade. Place in refrigerator to marinade overnight. Turn several times and massage each time.
    Prepare grill with a med. hot fire. Remove chicken from marinade and reserve marinade. Grill chicken for about 10 min./side. While chicken is cooking; place reserved marinade in a small pan and bring to a boil. Boil for at least 3 minutes. Lower heat; mix cornstarch and water and add to marinade to thicken. Just before chicken is done; spoon thickened marinade on thighs and turn one more time. Watch carefully, they burn easily.[p]CB[p]
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Mark Backer,[p]Here is a technique Danny Gaulden uses, very yummy![p]~thirdeye~[p]Gang,
    Here's a nice side dish if you are bbq'ing for a large group, or can be the main meat dish if it's just the family. It's my variation on
    "Doc Holiday's BBQ'd Chicken Thighs"[p]Take as many thighs as you need and skin them. Then cut a slit along the bone, and remove it. Stuff the now made pocket, from removing the bone, with about a 2 or 3 inch long, pencil thick piece of Monteray Jack cheese, a few diced onions and diced jalepeno peppers that have been seeded and ribed. If you want it with a little more kick, don't take the ribs out of the jalepenos. I prefer to leave the ribs. If you have room left, add more cheese, cut anyway you need to do it to get it into the pocket. Now take a toothpick and use it to close the pocket. Wrap each thigh with a strip of bacon and pin the bacon to the thigh with another toothpick. Place thighs in pan and drizzle with Italian salad dressing until at least half covered. Let marinade for at least 2 hours. Turn thighs over in marinade every hour. Cook indirect with medium smoke at 250 to 300 degree till done, then place thighs directly over low fire to brown and crisp up bacon, if this isn't accomplished during the cooking process. Or, Q thighs directly over the coals till done. Caution: If Q'ing directly over the coals, DON'T make a big fire. A small one will work best, and not burn the bacon and thighs. If cooking directly over the coals, make sure you chunk in a small piece or two of green wood for smoke.
    I have done these at the store a couple of times for "something extra" on fancy orders, plus a few times at home. We really enjoy them and hope all of you do to.
    Danny [p]

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery