Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Offset smoker tune up?

Options
bgeaddikt
bgeaddikt Posts: 503
My apartment complex has this smoker but i've never seen anybody use it. Is there any way to clean it or before i were to use it? maybe dump a ton of hot coals in it and let it hight heat burn? Feedback please!
Kinda grosses me out since its so rusted so i may not mess with it.

Austin, Tx

Comments

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    What does it look like on the inside?
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Looks sweet.  Get a can or two of hi temp black grill paint and it will look good as new.

Looks only like surface rust from here, but as @SciAggie has asked, what DOES the inside look like?

Looks like a giant mailbox on the outside.  The stack looks like it would pull a pretty good draft.  @SGH  could give a good analysis of firebox size as related to cook chamber size to smoke stack diameter and height ratio so you would know what to expect.

I wish i could find a smoker like that in my backyard to play with.

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • bgeaddikt
    Options
    I'll get more pictures tonight. Its surface rust, nothing corroding. But i do have to inspect the inside chamber. I didn't even think about the science behind building a perfect smoker with the correct dimensions like @kl8ton mentioned. Firebox seems a bit bigger then most i have seen, but i dont have much experience with offset smokers. Bet this would fit that 38lb monster brisket @SGH cooked
    Austin, Tx
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Depending on if the racks are still good, if the firebox isn't rusted out, if the door seals properly, stovepipe isn't falling off etc. Personally I would get a fire going in it and see if it will draw. If she will draw and the temp will stay consistent, I would take a brush on a grinder to it, paint it and park it closer to my back door. Even if the racks are shot, if everything else is solid, a local fab shop can make some expanded grates pretty cheap. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I am no expert like @SGH, but the firebox looks pretty low and maybe that is why it is so big to keep the fire low?  See if there is a way to control the flow where the firebox and smoker meet. I can't tell from the photo.  Heck if it is good on the inside, get some wood or charcoal and try it out. 
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Handy feature on the right for L&S overnighters.. You can put a padlock on.. =)
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • bgeaddikt
    Options
    The pit is 4ftx2x1ft4inch.

Austin, Tx
  • bgeaddikt
    Options
    Dampener/air vent is rusted shut/immobilized. 
    Austin, Tx
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    I'm a slob, so I would just clean it out and cook on it.  Start a big fire initially and get it really hot to 1) sterilize/clean everything and 2) get a good bed of coals.  Then when the temp comes down, throw some meat on it.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• NonaScott
    NonaScott Posts: 446
    Options
    Could probably take a little WD-40 and spray it and tap with a hammer a few times to break it loose.
    Narcoossee, FL

LBGE, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter, Ash Tool. I'm a simple guy.
  • busmania
    busmania Posts: 414
    Options
    bgeaddikt said:
    Dampener/air vent is rusted shut/immobilized. 

Easy to fix.  Spray with some penetrating oil, let sit for a day or two and then hit it with a hammer.

Foghorn said:
    I'm a slob, so I would just clean it out and cook on it.  Start a big fire initially and get it really hot to 1) sterilize/clean everything and 2) get a good bed of coals.  Then when the temp comes down, throw some meat on it.

This is what I would do too.  I'd be all over that thing using it!  Tending fire is fun.
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    edited June 2016
    Options
    From the pics it seems your neighbors have used it as both a "Charcoal Grill" and a "Stick Burner". Nice of them to leave their ashes.

Clean out all of the ash, inspect for any holes. If none, get it going!
    Doesn't look like there is an charcoal basket for the fire box. You could improvise one of sorts. Would be a bonus if there were a few tuning plates under all that ash!
    Do you have a weed burner? It helps to get all that iron up to temp.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • bgeaddikt
    Options
    I plan on getting some oak preferably with lump to get it going as hot as i can get it and see where the leaks are, if any. There's a ton of ash in there...ughhhhh. Might do a brisket to start or a butt since they are cheaper and i cant go wrong? Gauge is shot, needs to be replaced. Should be a fun project.
    Austin, Tx
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Looks like it is made of about 1/4" steal?  Should be a fun project.  Will the apartment complex pony up any money for you to get to going again.  I but you start cooking on it, people will come.

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • bgeaddikt
    Options
    Its thicker then 1/8" but no more then 1/4".
    Austin, Tx
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    Don't do it. You're gonna end up cooking ribs for the whole apartment complex when they see how good they turn out. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options

bgeaddikt said:
    Its thicker then 1/8" but no more then 1/4".
    3/16?
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.