Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Sides

Options
Battleborn
Battleborn Posts: 3,359
I have always believed that the meat is the star of good BBQ, however, my wife is all about the sides. The thing that makes it difficult is we both have different taste in the sides. I like the traditional "full fat" sides and she wants me to make "healthy" sides. So, my question is, do any of you make sides that are on the healthier side that taste as good as regular?
Las Vegas, NV

Comments

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    There is almost no such thing as a healthy side that tastes as good as regular full fat sides.  :-)

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • kl8ton
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Your wife sounds like my wife.  Can you compromise?  You get your meals and she gets her meals?  We have mostly healthy meals for every day life.  Green smoothies, oatmeal, home made soups with little to no meat, salads, etc.  I don't feel guilty for eating a fully loaded meal when I get to use the egg.

Grand Rapids MI
  • Battleborn
    Options
    Absolutely, I am the cook in this relationship. My wife could burn rice in a full pot of water. I try my best to accommodate her. I think I am going to try to grill some cauliflower tonight to go with our ribs. Hopefully it turns out well. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• kl8ton
    Options
    Ahhh.

My wife makes most everything as she is home with the kids all day.  I have the weekends.  I usually do a big breakfast Saturday and some kind of meat for a dinner here or there.  We are not good at coordinating meat with sides unless it is a fully planned out party.  I think our kids are lucky that we both like to cook.

Grand Rapids MI
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    Options
    We seem to do well with this kind of side... I eat it as a stand alone for lunch or dinner sometimes...

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/213638/southwestern-quinoa-salad/

If your wife likes this kind of thing the possibilities with Quinoa, or Cous Cous, or Orzo are endless.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• Battleborn
    Options
    We use quinoa a lot these days. I actually made a Mediterranean chicken breast on top of some flavored quinoa last night. Turned out pretty good. I need to try Cous Cous. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    edited June 2016
    Options
    "Healthy" has come to mean low fat. Turns our, low fat is not "healthy." Healthy is low sugar and carbs. Trad sides like mac-cheese and corn bread are probably not the best choice if you want to limit weight gain.

Beans and greens, pretty good, but no best reason to Egg them.

I've been working on grilled onions (leeks etc.), carrots, celeriac, daikon (radishes) seem like they should eventually turn out nice.

Yeah, grilled cauliflower is currently a favorite. I've been massively unimpressed by my attempts at grilled Romain, but have seen some nice pics of grilled Napa and Savoy cabbage done the same way.

Tried spaghetti squash 1 time. Not a total failure. May do it again.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    A few sides we do: 

Braised kale
    Saute spinach
    Braised cabbage
    Roasted broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots
    Sous Vide sweet potatoes or baked or roasted
    Salad 
    Vinaigrette style slaw
    Qunioa 
    Brussels sprouts 
    Mushrooms/stuffed
    Tomatoes
    Peppers/stuffed
    Asian brown rice
    Saute zucchini, squash, and onion
    Stewed zucchini
    Stewed squash
    Roasted butter nut squash 
    Spaghetti squash 

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    lots of vinegar coleslaws out there, i dont like sugar in my slaw. shrimp lejon with prosciutto instead of bacon would be healthier right, tastes better too. something different would be roasted fresh beats and fennel. i do alot of pork loins in the summer with a sqaush and zuchinni casserole once those veggies are out, google ratatouille and add onions, stewed tomatoes, and a ton of cheddar. ratatouille would work as well. if you do kabobs or kafta, think tebouleh, hummus, and red onion shovels. then theres stuffed tomatoes.

100_1213jpg

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Battleborn
    Options
    @fishlessman that plate looks amazing!
    Las Vegas, NV

• NonaScott
    NonaScott Posts: 446
    Options
    I saw a recipe for cabbage steaks on FB the other day that I bet would be really good on the egg.
    Narcoossee, FL

LBGE, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter, Ash Tool. I'm a simple guy.