Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How do the "Pros" go about starting the fire??

Options
Remo
Remo Posts: 8
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just wondering if some of the seasoned pros could go over their procedures again on how they get the lava started. Lately, for me its been taking a while (more than 15 minutes) theres a ton of smoke using the BGE starter cubes, so I figure I must be doing something wrong. Thanks.

Comments

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Remo,
    As simply as I can make it.[p]Fo most of my fires I start in the top center with a fire cube. It will take a few minutes for it to 'take'. Relax, have a cold drink you shouldn't be in a rush. You can use a starter chimney and that will get you going faster. The charcoal will stop giving off smoke whe your fire is ready so take your time. You can use MAPP gas 10-15 seconds and your fire will be well under way but, it still has to 'take'. Have a cold one. Some people will use three starter cubes in three different places to get the fire going over a wider area. For every forum member there's a way to start your lump. I'll bet someone else will jump in with something I forgot before too long.

• Unknown
    Options
    Remo,[p]Ever since I tried MAPP gas, I've never looked back. It takes me a bit more like 20-30 seconds per spot, but that matters not; these MAPP cylinders last a loooong time.[p]I've tried all the starter variations, and this is by far my favorite. As it is with the 4 or 5 people I've shown it to as well.[p]Flame on,
    bc

• Steve
    Steve Posts: 94
    Options
    I start my large egg with one-and-a-half or two sheets of newspaper stuffed in the bottom vent under the firebox. Works perfectly in just minutes as long as the outside temperature is above 55 degrees. A bit of ash, but I don't care. And I don't have to buy anything.[p]If the temp is lower I sometimes have to go two rounds with the newspaper, and get my knees dirty bending down and blowing in the hole.