Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Akaushi, Wagyu, and Duroc

Options
Foghorn
Foghorn Posts: 9,834
My son is home from college for the summer.  I took him to Bolner's meat market in South San Antonio yesterday for the first time.  After he looked around at the great stuff they have he asked "Is this the North Pole?". 

We bought Wagyu ribeyes, Akaushi tenderloins, Duroc St. Louis ribs and another rack of spare ribs - and 4 beef ribs just for good measure.   Then we found out that over half the people we were expecting would not be able to join us for dinner as they had a family member go into labor. We still cooked up all the meat and also grilled some corn and mixed veggies.  The pics are not very good, nor are they plentiful - but they do prove that it happened. 

We did the ribs on the offset - just because we wanted to.  We cooked the corn and overcooked the veggies (libation-induced user error - not the egg's fault) on the egg.  We seared the steaks on the egg for 1 minute per side at 750 and then moved them to the offset until they got to 110 degrees and pulled as we were shooting for rare.

Everything but the veggies turned out great.  It was a lot of food for just 5 of us...

Thanks for looking.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

Comments

• Foghorn
    Options

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• gonepostal
    gonepostal Posts: 711
    Options
    Looks like some mighty fine meat. And btw...i like my veggies "cooked to death" like that! 
    Wetumpka, Alabama
    LBGE and MM
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,570
    Options
    Great looking meal.. Nice spread.
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Thanks @johnmitchell

And thanks @gonepostal. My dad retired from the postal service and like his veggies that way...

San Antonio, TX

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Dang- a meat coma banquet for sure.  Great cook.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Thanks @lousubcap, I'm ashamed to admit that the 5 of us didn't finish it all off. 

San Antonio, TX

• 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    Duuuuuude, that is the way to welcome your kid home.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Man, what a feast!!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Thanks @20stone and @bgebrent

San Antonio, TX

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Quality proteins done right.  Nice post.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Foghorn
    Options
    Thanks @Focker

Yes, @20stone, it is good to have the young man home. 

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn
    Options
    I didn't show it, but I should have mentioned that we also grilled some whole tomatoes, a jalapeño, and a poblano and used them to make some homemade guac and salsa. 

But it even with that, the meat to veggies ratio would probably make @SGH proud. 

San Antonio, TX

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    That's some good cooking right there. 

You must be slacking in your old age if you didn't finish it all :smiley:

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Ummm. Ummm. I've had some duroc. Good stuff. Not as impressed w. the wagyu as I expected. But yours looks pretty good. Perhaps if you had a few thin slices to send me, it might change my mind. ;)
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Damn son. I need to come home from college to your house. Wow. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Foghorn
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Thanks @caliking.  Even in my youth, when a typical trip to McDonald's involved 4 quarter pounders and a lot of other stuff, I don' think I could have finished everything we cooked.

Thanks @gdenby.   I suspect I agree with you about the wagyu and akaushi - especially where the better cuts (ribeye and tenderloin - as opposed to brisket) are concerned.  These were great steaks, but I enjoy a prime steak so damn much that taking it to the next level doesn't really add a lot to the enjoyment.  It's kinda like wine where I've found so much enjoyment in the $40-$50 range (for special occasions) that when I get an opportunity to drink a $100 bottle I typically enjoy it, but don't appreciate it as being at a different level.

The Cen-Tex Smoker.  Our schedules, don't allow us a chance to do a long cook very often, so when we get a chance we over compensate.

San Antonio, TX