Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Salmon

Options

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

Comments

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Looks fantastic!!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Sammi
    Sammi Posts: 598
    Options
    Doc_Eggerton   Good looking salmon Doc. Haven't tried it with cucumber before, will have to put that on the list.
    Sudbury, Ontario
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    WTF, half the pics I posted aren't here?

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Looks great!  I have a slab of wild salmon in the freezer that looks exactly like that!  (I know, it should be fresh).   I'd like to smoke it.

Can you give some details on temp, time and what kind of wood you used?

Also...can I smoke with the skin on?

Thanks!  :plus_one:
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    Looks great!  I have a slab of wild salmon in the freezer that looks exactly like that!  (I know, it should be fresh).   I'd like to smoke it.

Can you give some details on temp, time and what kind of wood you used?

Also...can I smoke with the skin on?

Thanks!  :plus_one:
    I prefer skin on.  It will make a mess on the grid, so put it on foil.  150  or so until the albumin starts to leak out.  This was a great cook, held steady at 150 the whole time.  I used cherry wood.  I coat with sweet rub uncovered overnight to dry the fish before smoking.

• Doc_Eggerton
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Oops

• tbramse
    tbramse Posts: 31
    Options
    Would love the recipe and instructions for this cook.... I have always wanted to try smoked salmon but never have. I think I could probably do this one. 
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    tbramse said:
    Would love the recipe and instructions for this cook.... I have always wanted to try smoked salmon but never have. I think I could probably do this one. 
    You have to find your own rub, this is my own secret recipe.  I would suggest Trager Sweet, or any other brown sugar and salt rub.  Place the salmon on a cookie rack overnight with the rub.  Once it becomes sticky and dense squeegee the excess rub off and smoke at around 150 until the albumen leaks out.  This is usually about one hour.  Refrigerate and serve on crackers with cream cheese, cucumber and red onion.