Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whole chicken

Options
Tonight's  dinner on the way. Whole yardbird rubbed with canola oil and sprinkled with onion and garlic powder, and S&P. 275 indirect with a large chunk of Apple wood.
Narcoossee, FL

LBGE, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter, Ash Tool. I'm a simple guy.

Comments

• EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    Looking good ... waiting for results  :)
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • rmr62
    rmr62 Posts: 233
    Options
    I have been doing similar.  I go indirect at about 375-400.  Whole bird, light brushing of oil and then my own concoction of 4 or 5 seasonings.  Just as good as any spatch I've done, and don't have to fool with the cutting!
    Lagrange, GA   LBGE
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Looking good so far.  Are you planning on a gravy with the innards?  I don't know why I never do that with chicken...I love turkey gravy. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• NonaScott
    NonaScott Posts: 446
    Options
    Looking good so far.  Are you planning on a gravy with the innards?  I don't know why I never do that with chicken...I love turkey gravy. 
    No gravy, just a little snack:)
    Narcoossee, FL

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    That's gonna be great! Love grilled chicken, any way you do it. I usually spatch, mostly because it's considerably quicker. Yours is going to look a lot better though. :) The last few I've done were whole on the rotisserie - one egg, two Weber. Still experimenting with the rotisserie.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,071
    edited May 2016
    Options
    275 seems quite low, is that because of smoking? How long do you cook it for?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

• NonaScott
    Options
    About 30 to 45 minutes to go. 
    Narcoossee, FL

• NonaScott
    edited May 2016
    Options

275 seems quite low, is that because of smoking? How long do you cook it for?
    My wife likes smoked chicken low and slow. Takes about 3 to 4 hours depending on bird. I started this at 2:45 pm
    Narcoossee, FL

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Terrific color.  Standing by. 
    Phoenix 
  • NonaScott
    Options
    CarvedLets eat
    Narcoossee, FL

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Yep, that looks great.
    NOLA
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Nice!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• victor1
    victor1 Posts: 225
    Options
    Whole chickens always one of our favorites.  I did two this past Saturday using beer can chicken racks, no beer and Dizzy Dust.  Cook time was about 1.5 hours at 350 - 375 degrees.  I would add,  there was beer.  For me.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Great looking bird. I'm going to give low & slow chicken a shot. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Nice color brother!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Looks damn good mang
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,071
    edited May 2016
    Options
    That's a really great colour. Does it get that way because you do it low and slow, the smoke, both? All the ones I have done are at 180C, which are lovely and tasty but don't have that colour.
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk