Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First World Problem - 2 large eggs

hey Eggers,

I've had my large egg for about 4 years and got it new with the warranty. I originally had a nest for it but after spilling $20 of ribs on the ground, we got a custom cedar table with a granite inlay.

Well, I just bought a new house and the previous owner had a custom stone table and he cemented a large egg into the table so it was left behind. 

So now, I've got two large eggs and I'm not really sure I need them both. I've always talked about getting a minimax so I've considered selling my original egg and getting the minimax. I just hate the idea of losing cooking real estate now that I've got 2 large eggs and the 2nd didn't cost anything. The cost of a minimax is around $600 in the Atlanta area. Seems high for what you get. 

Sorry for the long winded post but wanted to hear what other people have done in a similar situation. 

Comments

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Keep both. Too soon to tell what might be needed. Personally I would keep both and buy the MM. But then again I like plenty of real estate when I cook. Just think--meat on one and veg/pots/beans on the other. You might meet some new awesome neighbors and then all heck might break loose. Side note---"cemented" sounds like it won't move???
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    edited May 2016
    I'm fairly certain not many people here have been in the same situation, by inheriting a cemented egg for free. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Congrats on the new house! I would be interested in a picture of the "cemented" Egg, I would be concerned about expansion issues when it gets to a high temperature with nowhere to go. I agree, keep them both and see how your cooking requirements shake out in the new environment. Better to have and not need than need and not have.

Cheers,

Chris
    St. Louis, MO
    Unit 1: LBGE, cedar table Unit 2:Akorn
  • StellarEvo
    StellarEvo Posts: 89
    See attached. The table is my original egg and the built in was here when I moved in. As you'll see, that new to me egg isn't going anywhere. If there is a problem with it, I'm going to have to chisel it out and likely ruin the built in. 

That is a big reason that I'm thinking that I should keep the two of them. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Great situation to be from my perspective!  What you need is purely a function of what you like to cook and for how many.  If you really don't anticipate needing 2 L's then sell one to offset the price on the MM.  Me, I'd keep it and get the MM.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • StellarEvo
    I'm fairly certain not many people here have been in the same situation, by inheriting a cemented egg for free. 
    Of course, nobody will have been the exact same situation but I figured it wouldn't hurt to include that in the post. Basically looking for some help from fellow egg heads that have multiple large eggs and if they regret it and wish they had a big egg and a smaller egg or if they actually love the multiple bigger egg combo. 

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    I would keep both for sure and the new egg looks like it could be lifted right out of the table.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Keep both larges. If you want a MM buy one.

Little Rock, AR

• Jstroke
    I concur. I would want a close up of the edge. I bet it is removable. Try wiggling it with guts out by grabbing the hinge. I will also say that whoever put that egg in didn't really think about prep area or there was a table nearby. Will your table fit next to it? I see good possibilities with two eggs already on board. If it will come out I would start thinking about a new two egg set up. 
  • Firemanyz
    Firemanyz Posts: 907
    First off I would keep both. Second I think you need to make a expansion gap around the "new to you egg". If you do opt to get rid on one I would remove the "new to you egg" and sell that one to keep yours with a warenty. 
  • chuckytheegghead
    chuckytheegghead Posts: 1,201
    Keep both, it's always nice to have the extra space and different temps
  • StellarEvo
    Thanks for all the feedback. I've been leaning towards keeping them both and all the feedback has helped me feel like I'm not crazy for keeping the two of them.

I'm sure I'm going to do something with the new to me egg and the table. It'll just be a few months before I do. Had my first child a few weeks ago and it's amazing that I've been this much brain power into something else today.
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,745
    Agree with Firemanyz. The last thing you want to do is sell your BGE at a reduced cost and then you're left with one that doesn't have a warranty.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Jstroke
    Well then several things are in order. Congrats on the new addition to the family. I am sure you aren't getting much sleep so make no hasty decisions right now. Congrats on the new house. Sounds like you decided to get all the stress out of the way at one time. If it was me, I would take it slow, buy some graph paper and doodle this summer for new outdoor possibilities. Your life has just been abducted by a very small person who is completely in charge. Breath slowly and deeply and in roughly 18-30 years things will appear normal. In the meantime, welcome. Investment in a good espresso machine will pay dividends. Trust me, I have 3 boys. 
  • Keep them both. That is all. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    My ideal situation, after  careful thought, involves 4 eggs.  Keep it would be my vote.
    Phoenix 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    I think I'd lose that table.  With an angle grinder, no doubt you could get that free egg out of there if you're careful.
    Phoenix 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,024
    edited May 2016
    Congrats Dad!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Thanks for all the feedback. I've been leaning towards keeping them both and all the feedback has helped me feel like I'm not crazy for keeping the two of them.

I'm sure I'm going to do something with the new to me egg and the table. It'll just be a few months before I do. Had my first child a few weeks ago and it's amazing that I've been this much brain power into something else today.

Congrats on the new addition to your family, the house and the new egg.

Now may I tell you about crazy? It's just the wife & I now and we have 2 large, 1 small, 1 mini max and 1 mini egg. Yes 5 BGE's just for the two of us and I'm always on the hunt for a great deal on an XL!!! Yes I'm crazy about my Big Green Egg's and I won't even go into all the extras I have for them.

So your not quite crazy yet but it's going to happen sooner or later!!!!! :)

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    No way I'd sell the large to buy a MM. MANY eggers have purchased a second large. All your accessories fit both. =)

Except for me, I have two of just about everything. CCS must love me.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    excellent problem! i'd solve it by expanding the stone table to the right to hold your original egg.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle