Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef jerky...a couple questions

Options
itsmce
itsmce Posts: 410
I am tackling beef jerky for the first time. I started with a 3.5# bottom round roast, trimmed maybe a half pound of fat. There was a pretty think fat cap. My son and I mixed up Alton Brown's marinade and I hand sliced the roast into hopefully not-too-thin strips. They were closer to 1/8" than 1/4". In the marinade overnight they went. This morning I started a small fire in my LBGE and watched for about an hour and a half. It seemed to be stable at about 158. Seemed about right, so I put on the beef strips. Somehow I managed to get a triple layer rigged up. 

The temp dropped to 129. 2 hours later it has managed to get up to 133.
Question #1: Should I open things up a bit to get the temp closer to 170?
Question #2: How do you know when beef jerky is done?

Large (sometimes wish it were an XL) in KS

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I think you're fine. 

Taste it to see if it's where you want it.  The longer you smoke it, the drier it will be and the longer it will keep.  Just take it off when it's as dry as you want it - probably about 6 hours or so.
    NOLA