Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza stone

Options
Zwjm04
Zwjm04 Posts: 1
Bought a new pizza stone (BGE).  Cooked bread tonight, first use.  Tasted like ceramic.  Should it be seasoned before using?  We washed it very well before using.

Comments

• Gamecockeggman
    Gamecockeggman Posts: 1,329
    Options
    Naahhh just need to get the water out of it and a few cooks under your belt.
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • NonaScott
    NonaScott Posts: 446
    Options
    Hopefully there was no soap involved
    Narcoossee, FL

LBGE, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter, Ash Tool. I'm a simple guy.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Oil it, let it heat, pull it, oil it and it will be fine - never allow soap near a stone - it will soon be black and neutral. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    ceramic stones should be used without any seasoning.  No soap!!!!!! 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    Yeah if you used soap its likely not going to be that great. My stone is almost like a nonstick cast iron pan its seasoned so well. Just scrape any cheese or whatnot off that gets on there. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• NonaScott
    Options
    ceramic stones should be used without any seasoning.  No soap!!!!!! 
    That's what the instructions said that came with mine. The purpose of the ceramic stone is to wick away the moisture in the crust. If you put oil on the stone you just seal up the pores and defeat the purpose.
    Narcoossee, FL

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    They do not wick away moisture.  The stone has lots of stored heat that rapidly conducts to the dough. The moisture in the dough is actually driven away from the stone. The moisture turns to steam, expanding the little air bubbles to bigger ones known as oven spring.    A ceramic stone at 500-800º is not going to pick up any moisture.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• NonaScott
    Options
    They do not wick away moisture.  The stone has lots of stored heat that rapidly conducts to the dough. The moisture in the dough is actually driven away from the stone. The moisture turns to steam, expanding the little air bubbles to bigger ones known as oven spring.    A ceramic stone at 500-800º is not going to pick up any moisture.
    Thanks, that's what happens when you repeat stuff without knowing what you are talking about. Now I know. Much appreciated.
    Narcoossee, FL