Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Installed Rutlands on XL and L today. Thanks Ron!

Options
I am not the neatest or most patient when it comes to buildimg, installing, etc.   I will put picts up after 24 hr cure.   Ron is the best and helped tremendously.  I still have minimax to install but the gasket on that is still good so ill hold off

Used the 3 m stripper disk, plus pumice stone and permatex copper.  I tube was plenty for L and XL.   My method was to put a thin bead of ptc about 7-10 inches at a time amd then bunch the cup side down rutland in sort of a reverse inchworm fashion.   It worked great on install and i tried to mate the ends neatly but botched a little there.     

Looking forward to the singe process with blowtorch tomorrow and getting both Eggs heated up to burn off as much residue and remainder stuff as possible and then getting back to brisket smokin'   .

My biggest takeaway from this entire deal-  follow RRP's instrux and read hisnnotes on install as well as regrets others had regarding mistakes they made.

Also, use a disposable plastic knife to butter the rim with ptc and make a thin, but thoroughly covering layer of gasket sealer each time.   I held the rutland in place with a wooden block and it worked perfectly 

One last thing- i was a little intimidated by this and it really wasnt too big a deal

Thanks again Ron!

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    Thanks for the kind words! My only concern was that you only used 1 tube of Permatex for applying an XL and a L. That probably meant you applied too little, but I wish you the best! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    We'll see how it goes.   The rutland seemed to catch pretty well to the layer i was putting on, i put a thin bead and buttered the whole edge 7" or so at a time and i felt that much more wouldve resulted in an oozy mess out either side.    I will report back here later, maybe as soon as tomorow and if i need to ill reapply the rutland with more ptc.

I got the gaskets from you a year and a half ago and just now got around to the install!  I think youll recall i sent you cash thru mail ahead of getting the gaskets.  It all worked out though 

In Ron we trust, especially when it comes to gaskets!
  • westernbbq
    Options
    Here are a couple of picts.   This was post blow torch singe process of little hairs

Not perfectly neat but these will get the job done.  The foil was put on to prevent any sticking to the rim dome.  Also i think the amount of ptc i put on should work as the gasket seems to have a pretty good grip onto the rim.  Ill update on future cooks how it is going.  
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    I need to install Ron's gaskets. Hope to do the first one on Wednesday.. 
  • westernbbq
    Options
    Good luck.  It really isnt too bad a process.    I probably should have used more ptc but if the gasket comes loose i will reapply

Also the rim does not need to be perfectly clean, and do not use a wire brush to clean it. 
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited May 2016
    Options

Based on my own experience, you should be fine using a 1/2 tube. That's what I used on my XL probably 4 years ago and it's holding up perfectly! Nothing coming loose or any issues at all.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• westernbbq
    Options

Based on my own experience, you should be fine using a 1/2 tube. That's what I used on my XL probably 4 years ago and it's holding up perfectly! Nothing coming loose or any issues at all.

Thanks ChokeOnSmoke.   I used 80% or more of a tube of ptc for the Large and XL.   Your experience makes me feel even more certain about the future of the rutland gaskets on both of these guys.    cant wait to fire both of em up!
  • RRP
    Options

Thanks ChokeOnSmoke.   I used 80% or more of a tube of ptc for the Large and XL.   Your experience makes me feel even more certain about the future of the rutland gaskets on both of these guys.    cant wait to fire both of em up!
    That's fine. Leave it to me to try to help people reach an even balance/layer for their application. The main thing I try to leave in most Rutland gasket buyers minds is even if their Rutland gasket lifts off it is NOT from gasket failure, but from too little adhesive. The BGE isn't even capable of reaching a high enough temperature of 2,200 degrees to even touch a Rutland.

• westernbbq
    Options
    RRP said:

That's fine. Leave it to me to try to help people reach an even balance/layer for their application. The main thing I try to leave in most Rutland gasket buyers minds is even if their Rutland gasket lifts off it is NOT from gasket failure, but from too little adhesive. The BGE isn't even capable of reaching a high enough temperature of 2,200 degrees to even touch a Rutland.

I really thought i was putting a nice even layer that seemed ample for the gasket. But if she ever shakes loose, i can put a thicker layer on

Really looking forward to some hot cooks and seeing that sucker hold up waaaay better than the cotton gaskets i had been replacing over the past several years!
  • RRP
    Options
    RRP said:

I really thought i was putting a nice even layer that seemed ample for the gasket. But if she ever shakes loose, i can put a thicker layer on

Really looking forward to some hot cooks and seeing that sucker hold up waaaay better than the cotton gaskets i had been replacing over the past several years!
    LMAO! Please record here what petroleum product you intend to fire up in your BGE to burn up your Rutland gasket!...let alone what food you plan to nuke in that smelly sh*t! 

• westernbbq
    Options
    Just mesquite my man.  Thats it....
  • westernbbq
    Options
    @RRP,  fired up the large and the xl tonite with mesquite tree trimmings, w 2"-3" diameter sticks.  Got both 900F + and ooohhhwee those rutlands are NICE

Thank you many many times over for your supplying of the gaskets for a low cost, and for your incredible knowledge base that helps novices like me get the most out of my BGE.    

If you are ever in AZ, i would like to buy you a beer or ten! Or whatever beverages of your choice!

Be well amd keep on helping us in all things Big Green Egg!