Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

License Plate Box

Options
500 Posts: 3,177
edited May 2016 in EggHead Forum
Saw this idea on the inter webs and decided to make one. I'm gonna make some more if I can find more plates. Original link here; https://thecavenderdiary.com/2014/03/16/a-texas-license-plate-becomes-a-box/
I'm gonna use it to hold BBQ sauces for a cookout that's being planned. 
I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
Member since 2009

Comments

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    you must live in a state that re-plates annually. Here in IL we went 17 years before new plates were issued. That was in 1987. Then we went 14 more years with the same plates which finally got replaced in 2001 - so we are now into our 15th year.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,027
    Options
    Cool idea!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Spaightlabs
    Options
    Excellent source of license plates is your neighbor's cars.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    Lookd cool. But i'm waiting for all the alarmist 'phobes here to advise against it because of coating, paints, metals, etc. :)

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

Options
    Lookd cool. But i'm waiting for all the alarmist 'phobes here to advise against it because of coating, paints, metals, etc. :)
    I ran it thru the dishwasher first. I think nuts or M&M's would be fine. I don't think I'd put salsa in it. 

RRP said:
    you must live in a state that re-plates annually. Here in IL we went 17 years before new plates were issued. That was in 1987. Then we went 14 more years with the same plates which finally got replaced in 2001 - so we are now into our 15th year.
    They use plates here multible years. They issue stickers each year. I found this plate on the interstate. I picked it up when I stopped for a cooler that had been lost out the bed of some truck. Spaightlabs said:
    Excellent source of license plates is your neighbor's cars.
    I wish I didn't have to run a front plate or I'd make another from the front of The Hemi. 
    Member since 2009
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Wonder if I can make one of those out my license plate?

I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I'm fine with it myself. Just seen people freak here about foil in the egg or rutland gaskets.:)
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    Options
    I've been collecting license plates for the past couple of months for sign making and a scoreboard.  I've seen that license plate dish on Pintrest and they're cool.  Nice job!
    Flint, Michigan
    Options
    I've been collecting license plates for the past couple of months for sign making and a scoreboard.  I've seen that license plate dish on Pintrest and they're cool.  Nice job!
    Cool. Love to see what you've done. Yes, I found the idea on Pintetest. 
    Member since 2009
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    SoCalTim said:

That looks like a legit plate - is that seriously your plate Tim?
    Phoenix 
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    @blasting .. Hey brother, I had it made. It's a metal vanity plate.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Was gonna say, driving around with that in SoCal would get your shot. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    I need to make me one too !!  RNNL8 BBQ !

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• Spaightlabs
    Options
    SoCalTim said:

You might could make that one into a litter box.   =)
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Best/worst Plate I had seen was in California.
    Someone chose:
    "HIOCIFR"
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky