Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking for Wok Wisdom

Options
bodski
bodski Posts: 463
Several years ago when I began my BGE adventure, like many here, I went on an accessory binge. Looking back, I now realize how twisted I'd become. One of my lowest moments was when I bought my wife a Smokeware chimney cap and a wok for Mother's Day. I honestly thought she'd love them. This was the same year I bought her a meat grinder for her birthday, by the way. (She doesn't Egg - but she likes the results.) Anyway, I've recovered somewhat and have made up for it many times over. And now, I think it's even safe to pull the brand new, unused wok out of exile without opening any wounds, which brings me to purpose of the post.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a beginning Egg wokker? Do I need to season it before using? Any good starter recipes? Any dos and don'ts? Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks. 

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Yes on the seasoning of the new wok.  Follow this video from the Wok Shop and you'll be good to go.  

http://youtu.be/hNPe5-swL-k

Stir frying is a bunch of fun. I have done my fair share of it on the egg. You can go back and search my post or even better search for @Village Idiot (way better at this than me) and start getting some ideas.  If you have questions don't hesitate to ask.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    bodski said:
    I bought my wife a Smokeware chimney cap and a wok for Mother's Day. I honestly thought she'd love them. This was the same year I bought her a meat grinder for her birthday...
    Go for the gold, man... get her a vac sealer for your anniversary!! :rofl:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    edited May 2016
    Options
    A smokeware cap for mothers day, and a meat grinder for her birthday!!!

I must meet you and your bride someday!

Your post made my whole day.  Thanks for your honesty.
    Phoenix 
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    Just be prepared, cause using the wok is so much fun. But it's so much work.

I love, love, love stir fry, making mongalian beef and whatnot on the egg in the wok. But the prep and the amount of bowls/plates gets daunting in some cases. It's 98 percent prep, and then literally.. minutes at best of cooking. Great eats though.

Get a good wok, I like the one ceramic grill store sells. Scrub it well, wash it a few times, and season it up a bit before use.

Make some rice, and let it cool, and toss it in a bowl in the fridge. You'll get the itch.
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    As he just said preparation is the key since a wok cook goes so fast. One trick that works for me is after my wok is inside and the dome temp is 325 - 350 then I close my bottom vent completely open the dome and start cooking. That way your fire will not become an inferno. Good luck!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mattman3969
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Besides seasoning the wok you need to get yourself some good high temp gloves because if you are actually going to reap the benefits of the wok ability to quickly cook your meals quicky and not sautée them you may have some flames shooting up around the wok at any given time.   

As for a timing aspect you can do Mongolian beef in 30-40 of firing up the egg.  Other more involved cooks will take longer.  

analyze adapt overcome

• bodski
    Options
    Thanks for the advice guys. I might go for it next weekend.

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    I'll agree with the above. Cooking in the wok is, to me, the most fun cook on the egg. There is some prep involved, but the cook itself is quick, active, and fun. Really, there are only two or three decisions you need to make for stir fry. What sauce, what protein, and what veggies? I love cooking on my wok! (Got it from CGS, btw.)
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    I posted this a while back. Maybe it is of some value to you http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1191401/wok-wednesday#latest

Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    I was just getting ready to tag you @sciaggie and @tarheelmatt & @theyolksonyou to come help this guy out

analyze adapt overcome

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    @Mattman3969 I'm in an airport at the moment. I'll jump in more when I have a better opportunity. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    bodski said:
    I bought my wife a Smokeware chimney cap and a wok for Mother's Day. I honestly thought she'd love them. This was the same year I bought her a meat grinder for her birthday...
    Go for the gold, man... get her a vac sealer for your anniversary!! :rofl:
    My Father in Law bought my Mother in Law several cubic yards of chicken sh... fertilizer for the garden one year on their anniversary.  It did not go well.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• SmokinTiger81
    SmokinTiger81 Posts: 746
    Options
    I believe the key book to get is The Breath of the Wok by Young
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Skip the steel/metal wok utensils.  My All Clad set I found on clearance scratches the seasoning.  The Weber beech wood ones I too, found on clearance cheap, are much better.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    My advice. Get a spider. Get to temp and close the bottom vent most of the way. Use more oil than you think you need. Have everything on the table before you start. Be creative and have fun. Random order due to whiskey. Thanks for the shoutout @Mattman3969
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    This is the best post I've seen in a while. My wife's birthday is coming up and I'm thinking I should get her an Adjustable Rig.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I'm not a book guy personally, but there's some great books on wok cooking. 

My recommendation is like @theyolksonyou, get a spider first.  Then a wok and season it well. Get a nice fire going,  around 450°. I use canola oil mostly with sesame oil drops for flavor. 

Make sure your oil is ready, or I like to say dancing , and getting to smoke point. 

Stir fry in small batches for optimum performance.  

Get some high cuff ,high temp gloves.  

As Yolk said, prep everything before and carry out to the Egg. Makes it easy.  

Look for different recipes. Try them out. Make mistakes,  learn from them, and get better. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    @bodski - Did you see the other thread making mention of the cordless LoofLighter? Christmas is coming up and I thought it was worth mentioning as maybe you hadn't yet picked anything up for your wife.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options

My recommendation is like @theyolksonyou, get a spider first.  Then a wok and season it well. Get a nice fire going,  around 450°. I use canola oil mostly with sesame oil drops for flavor. 

Make sure your oil is ready, or I like to say dancing , and getting to smoke point. 

Look for different recipes. Try them out. Make mistakes,  learn from them, and get better. 
    Learned what I know from this man....and have been off and running. He and the Yolkman know what they speak. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options

Learned what I know from this man....and have been off and running. He and the Yolkman know what they speak. 
    Thanks Robin!  You're too kind.  

@bodski, here is a recent cook of mine.  I haven't broke the wok out in sometime.  That will change soon.  

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1192156/wok-n-roll-fantasy/p1
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • bodski
    Options
    Thanks, @tarheelmatt, I bookmarked your recipe post. 

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• JJ4473
    JJ4473 Posts: 12
    Options
    Speaking of woks...just made this paella in a wok on the EGG yesterday.  

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Any tips on re-seasoning a wok? I was unpacking boxes in the garage and came across mine. It was never unpacked at the last house and its probably not been used in 2+ years. I didn't look closely, but I suspect there is more than likely some rust. Does it need to be totally stripped down and re-seasoned? And if so, how? Thanks.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I take old woks wash with a brillo pad a few times and if that does not remove the burnt grease, then spray with oven off sometimes several times until clean. Then re season.  Good as new IMO.

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Griffin said:
    Any tips on re-seasoning a wok? I was unpacking boxes in the garage and came across mine. It was never unpacked at the last house and its probably not been used in 2+ years. I didn't look closely, but I suspect there is more than likely some rust. Does it need to be totally stripped down and re-seasoned? And if so, how? Thanks.
    Grif, if its flash rust, scrubbing with a slurry of water and Bar Keepers Friend should remove the rust.  I would then wash and season with oil of choice.  I personally, wouldn't worry about stripping the entire wok here.  It should come back to life quickly, using good amounts if oil in stir frying recipes.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."