Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Roofs over my egg

Options
RaySMS
RaySMS Posts: 42
WAS WONDERING I am going to use 2 4x4s and make a top over my egg but what do they call those types where you put a roof on with just 2 4x4s supporting it?
Anyone know?

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Two post shelter or two post gable shelter. 
  • RaySMS
    Options
    Your right dang thought there would be something online that would tell me how to do it, guess I will wing it.....I have done something similar before.

Thank you
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Depending on the spread I might go 6x6. Most 4x4 today will twist or warp especially treated. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • RaySMS
    Options
    I'll post a picture when I am done.  Seems they have this new material out almost like roofing material but has the up and down feature the old plastic and metal roofs have.  This stuff is cool and you can get it in 3 colors: red, green, and grey.  Mine is green to match house and hey my green egg. LOL

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    The May issue of The Family Handyman had plans for a Grill Gazebo which might give you ideas/guidance.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Options
    Jstroke said:
    Depending on the spread I might go 6x6. Most 4x4 today will twist or warp especially treated. 
    Agree, at least go 4x6, not quiete as pricey as a 6x6.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I knew this was going to happen.
    My Beautiful Wife saw this post and has made the request for me to build "something" over our patio. That "something"  has morphed into a massive pergola, and a complete backyard landscaping. 
    Thanks All. 
    I am going to add to the landscape transformation a BGE money tree.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited May 2016
    Options
    @yukonron  You need to pull together a gathering of forum members to come and execute the build. Kind of like backyard crashers. Then there is holding out for Backyard Crashers. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    @YukonRon - and you thought the eggs were expensive! See what happens!?!

I bought my eggs, then realised I needed to have  a bigger patio built.

Then the eggs started looking a little lonely out there...

Then I started dreaming of more toys to put out there...

It never ends. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    @northGAcock I think that would be a great idea, but having My Beautiful Wife as construction supervisor, requires tons of intestinal fortitude, and I want to keep my friends, and, they just don't make that much bourbon anyway. =)

@caliking truer words have never been written than what you have just stated. 
    We bought a turn of the century, craftsman style home( AKA MONEY PIT) in the Highlands area of Louisville, circa 1900. Very cool neighborhood, great schools for the children, etc. The landscaping project, will follow the 42K kitchen demo and rebuild. This is being done as the result of the BGE lifestyle, and the kitchen becoming the focal point of our home when entertaining. My Beautiful Wife, decided the old kitchen was no longer suitable. I keep hearing the whooshing sound of wads of money flying by my head, each time I lift the lid on either of the BGEs.
    Total Wallet Genocide.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    I built this table a couple of years ago, it was mostly out of scrap wood, and some roofing tin from lowes. It did a good job, but if I was to do it again, I might give it a little more overhang, as I would still get wet in downpours while egging.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • RaySMS
    Options
    Thats pretty cool as long as the table is secured.  I too needed something over the top for lights.

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    I built this table a couple of years ago, it was mostly out of scrap wood, and some roofing tin from lowes. It did a good job, but if I was to do it again, I might give it a little more overhang, as I would still get wet in downpours while egging.
    I like the look of that table but is it secured from blowing over? I know some of the storms we get would send that table sailing here. It could be devastating. ;)
    The design has me rethinking my one table that is not under a covered patio.

Looks like you are getting ready to expand that patio?
  • Jeremiah
    Options
    @Hungry Joe I never had any issue with it blowing over. Honestly it was pretty heavy especially with the eggs on it. I've since passed it along to another egghead who really did a nice job restoring it with some ceramic tile. And yeah, that was an old picture. Here's the same porch today, at my daughters birthday. Next week I should finish the bar and landscaping!Ive decided to add a space out to the left of the picture and with pavers for the eggs. I'm just too worried about eggs and wood decks. Hopefully I'll be backyard egging again by fall.  :s
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    @jeremiah I always liked that table of yours!  It'd be cool to see updated pix.  The new deck looks really nice.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Jeremiah
    Options
    Thanks @blind99 he's not on the forum, but he did a nice job. It was neat to see it go to someone who could put it to use, as I was about to cut it up and haul it off!
  • RaySMS
    Options
    Nice job, I totally agree about wood decks and eggs I have mine are 16" pavers works out well for me.

• BikerBob
    BikerBob Posts: 284
    Options
    On the plastic roofing-leaves collect and are a PITA to keep raked off. Pine straw may leave dark stains as well. With metal the leaves and stains can't be seen from inside.

Bob
    Cooking on the coast
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    That "something"  has morphed into a massive pergola, and a complete backyard landscaping. 
    I can totally relate, in the middle of something that morphed into front, back landscaping, new patio and cover, new walkway and partial rebuild of driveway, and of course the pool had to be re-done as well...
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • BikerBob
    BikerBob Posts: 284
    Options
    How many thousands of dollars can a simple roof cost? Don't even ask!
    Cooking on the coast
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Nice job on the deck. How about that pizza oven?
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • FWRealtor
    FWRealtor Posts: 57
    Options
    I want to build a table with a roof over it but my concern is that a big wind would come throw it down. Maybe I can figure out a way to make it detachable. Here is a pic of a stand similar to what I had in mind. (a beer stand at the MGM arena) 

Big Green Egg Owner since 2012
    Fort Worth ,Texas