Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Canadian mini max half price.

hondabbq
hondabbq Posts: 1,980
The going rate for these is about $699 CAD plus 13% taxes so just under $790. 

I have found one through a friend of a friend and he's asking $450 still in the box. Of course this will have zero warranty.
I have a large and a mini already,  I got the mini 1 year before the max came out. I wouldn't have paid that price for a mini anyway so I can't really complain. Now that I can get one for a decent price I'm considering it. 

Am i nuts to hint that $450 is still to much for a non warrantied egg? What's a decent price for it.. $300? $350? Less? 

What at say you?

Comments

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,024
    Depends on how much you want it!  If you want it and can afford it, go for it.  Sounds like a good price considering what the retail price is in Canada.   For me, the large and mini combo give me exactly what I need for now.  But if I were to be given a mini max or got a great deal on one, I'd prolly hop on it. :)
  • matoch
    matoch Posts: 135
    Where are you that you see that price new? In alberta they are between 750 and 860 before taxes. To me $400 seems fair for a minimax. Depending on why they have it new in a box you may be able to get warranty. If you look at the canadian website there are a few options to choose from when filling out your warranty. If it's never been registered and you know where it's purchased you could revister it as a gift. If it was won in a draw you could probably register it that way.
    Edmonton, Alberta - XL & Minimax
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

Is it an option to cross the border and buy one with a warranty?
    Phoenix 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,458
    blasting said:

Is it an option to cross the border and buy one with a warranty?
    my guess is you'll have to cross the border for warranty claims as well?
    canuckland
  • hondabbq
    No receipt as it was a wedding gift. 
    I just googled the price from threads here. It was late Sunday so I couldn't call a local dealer. 
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    edited May 2016
    My Ace Hardware just started to carry BGE, and the MM is going for $599 with "everything".  I assume this means the platesetter, but I didn't ask for details.

My dealer is located roughly 10 miles south of Pittsburgh Pa.  

Not it that my location helps you at all, but thought I'd offer you a comparable price.  I think $450 is a deal, why not call the Mothership and explain "You" got it as a wedding gift with no receipt.  Perhaps they'll honor it since it's still in the box?!
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • chuckytheegghead
    chuckytheegghead Posts: 1,201
    Fair price, buy it. 
  • AlbertaEgger
    AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387
    I would do it. 
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    RedSkip said:
    My Ace Hardware just started to carry BGE, and the MM is going for $599 with "everything".  I assume this means the platesetter, but I didn't ask for details.

My dealer is located roughly 10 miles south of Pittsburgh Pa.  

Not it that my location helps you at all, but thought I'd offer you a comparable price.  I think $450 is a deal, why not call the Mothership and explain "You" got it as a wedding gift with no receipt.  Perhaps they'll honor it since it's still in the box?!
    Already tried that...no receipt no warranty...
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Since its new and unused, that's a 40% haircut for not having a warranty.  Seems worth it.   
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    It's not like it's real money anyways...just monopoly money
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • hondabbq
    edited May 2016

Well, I was waiting to hear back from Bruce at BGE  and as of this typing its been 2 days. Sad to report the MM got sold.

• BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673

@hondabbq that's too bad.  For you I think it was a "want" not a "need" so you wanted everything (MM+ guaranteed warranty) for a steal of a deal.  Somebody else maybe with more need took the deal...

I got a new unused small last year that was a raffle prize win for a good price (not even as good as your MM deal) and was able to just go online and register the warranty.  I'll fight hard if I get any flack when/if I ever need warranty parts - I mean come on - A Canadian sold unit, from a Canadian store, with only one warranty registration - what could they possibly find wrong with that to deny the claim?  

P.S. - I think you'll kick yourself a little that you didn't go for it! 

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• hondabbq

Your right it was a want not a need. I have a large and a mini. I would have just sold the mini to my sous chef who wants one.

I guess I wanted to drink the koolaid too, but I don't want to drink at full price or without warranty.

• BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    @hondabbq - tell your sous-chef to sign up for the Stihl.ca BGE giveaway.  They are giving away a mini a month all year and a LBGE at the end of the year.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• bigalsworth
    bigalsworth Posts: 685
    You can't get  Joe Jr. for that low up here either, so if you are cool with no warranty then go for it.
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • hondabbq
    BigWader said:
    @hondabbq - tell your sous-chef to sign up for the Stihl.ca BGE giveaway.  They are giving away a mini a month all year and a LBGE at the end of the year.

I did already. Ill be jealous if his first foray into the egging world is a freebie.
  • hondabbq
    Finally got an email reply from BGE. A little late. Kind of a snotty response if you ask me.