Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Most over rated cut of meat for grilling?

Options
#1 for me is Chicken breast anything, this part of the yard bird maybe a great deal for restaurants, meal manufacturers and institutions and advocates of low fat diets. I won't buy or cook them. Too many other choices for chicken that taste better and grill better.

#2 Low fat ground meat  -- great for burgers that taste like saw dust. I had some burgers yesterday made with 90/10. No thanks, even bacon wouldn't have helped that meal.

feel free to add to the list, YMMV
1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein

Comments

• EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    Any hamburger from the store ... especially since I now make my own.  

Have to disagree on chicken breast, it's the only chicken I grill - Butterfly, oil, salt and pepper.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    chicken breast. Thighs are so much better.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Brisket
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    Options
    Boneless skinless chicken tit or bonless pork chops tie
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I prefer boneless chicken thighs instead of chicken breast in just about everything I cook. Tastes better to my taste buds. For years the only menu that was almost healthy was chicken breast salad. Burned out on it years ago. Kitchens like it because they can buy it precooked frozen with grill marks, nuke it and serve. taste be damned.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Yeah, no question the worst thing I've ever grilled was tofu!  <laughing>  I tried an achiote-marinated recipe, and made tacos with it, and it was OK, but I can't say I really care if I ever have that again.  (I eat vegan sometimes, which is why I tried it.)

About the chicken breasts, like others above I generally prefer thighs, but there are some chicken breast recipes I like. Here's one I really like, and it's my wife's favorite chicken recipe.  Melissa Clark said that because chicken breasts are so uneven in thickness, they don't grill evenly and often wind up tough.  For this recipe she pounds them to an even thickness, puts a sweet and spicy rub on them to add flavor, and cooks them hot and fast:

Sweet and Spicy Grilled Chicken Breasts

Ingredients:

4 (6-ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breasts

Rub:
    2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
    2 teaspoons ground coriander
    1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
    1 ½ teaspoons dry mustard powder
    ¼ teaspoon cayenne

Dipping Sauce:
    1 ½ tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, more as needed
    4 tablespoons Dijon mustard
    2 teaspoons minced fresh chives

Directions:

1. Place chicken breasts between two sheets of parchment or plastic wrap. Using a mallet or rolling pin, pound each to an even thickness of 1/2 inch. Do not make them any thinner or they could dry out.

2. In a small bowl, combine sugar, coriander, salt, mustard powder and cayenne. Place chicken breasts in a bowl and rub well with spice mixture. Cover and refrigerate 1 to 2 hours. Remove chicken from fridge while you preheat the grill.

3. Because they're so thin, I grill them pretty hot and fast, 500° or even higher, and they don't take long at all, checking with my Thermapen to 160°-165°.  Original directions follow:  Light the grill, building a hot fire, or preheat your gas grill to high. Once grill is fully heated, brush breasts lightly with olive oil and place chicken on the grill. Cook until undersides are browned and chicken is about halfway cooked, 3 to 5 minutes. Flip breasts and grill until cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes more.

4. (We thought the sauce was OK, but we don't usually make it.)  Transfer chicken to a platter. In a small bowl, whisk together mustard and chives. Whisk in 1 1/2 tablespoons oil. Serve chicken with mustard for dipping.

Source: http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1017490-sweet-and-spicy-grilled-chicken-breasts

• egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    Options
    Theophan said:
    Yeah, no question the worst thing I've ever grilled was tofu!  <laughing>  I tried an achiote-marinated recipe, and made tacos with it, and it was OK, but I can't say I really care if I ever have that again.  (I eat vegan sometimes, which is why I tried it.)

You win, took Tofu off my list a long time ago! your recipe looks great!

Albert Einstein
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    If a cut of meat is over-rated for grilling, then is it "overrated" in general or just because of the cooking technique?  I am pretty simple with my BGE/any grill cooks, but I am hard-pressed to find any meat that is better tasting on something besides an outside fired cooking apparatus.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Theophan said:
    Yeah, no question the worst thing I've ever grilled was tofu!  <laughing>  I tried an achiote-marinated recipe, and made tacos with it, and it was OK, but I can't say I really care if I ever have that again.  (I eat vegan sometimes, which is why I tried it

we gotta get you a wok brother!!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    OVERRATED?

That would easily be a tie. Boneless, skinless, ribmeat-less chicken breasts. If I do 'em gotta have the bones and rib meat/tender attached, and skin on and marinated or rubbed/brined for a bit.

The next would be beef tenderloin/filet.. Everyone loves it but god is it about the least flavorful, boring cut of beef on the cow. It's like a 90/10 or leaner ground beef for burgers.

Give me a skirt, flank, flat iron, tri-tip, or just some solid prime ribeyes to grill for beef.
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I am going with shrimp. Now don't get me wrong, There are a few excellent shrimp items. The shrimp relys heavely on the sauce or seasoning to deliver. By itself, it cooks very fast and doesn't have much of an opportunity to take on the flavor of the smoke. Additionally, there is no natural fat to provide a flavor profile. (OH YOU SAID CUT OF MEAT)......Never mind.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    I'll probably be sorry I posted this, but London Broil. Marinated it, slow cooked it, gas grilled it, hibachied it, egged it, ovened it...not seeing why this is so popular. And yeah, I can't do 90 percent ground beef either. And the only way I'll eat boneless, skinless chicken breast is smothered in creamed spinach, shrooms and cheese. 
  • Jhwilkin
    Jhwilkin Posts: 22
    Options
    Beef tenderloin. 
    Concord, NC-LBGE
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I read an article where Adam Perry Lang says brisket is the most overrated (mainly the flat) and shortribs were underrated. 

For me pork ribs are overrated. I think I just burned myself out on them. Shortribs and tri-tip are most underrated to me. 

Little Rock, AR

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Beef Round.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Don't think tofu is an overrated meat.  It's not rated very highly around here to start and its definitely not meat.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Honestly, I got nuthin.  I like it all.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Don't think tofu is an overrated meat.  It's not rated very highly around here to start and its definitely not meat.
    The Chinese call Tofu "meat without bones"; are you saying 1.3 billion people are wrong??   =)

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Most over rated is the beef tenderloin. Great piece of meat in regards to tenderness; cooked as a steak it is boring. Years ago I had it in a stroganoff at a nice restaurant and it was more tender than the noodles.
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Pork tenderloin. I wouldn't cross the street for a free one. Underrated--beef liver. I can eat a lot if it's done right 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    The cut you don't know how to cook.  From seafood to pork to veal to ostrich, it's all about technique, chicken included.  Look for octopus in my near future.  @Jstroke, love pork tenderloin on the egg.  Respect your opinion too.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    @SGH's pork calamari
    Options
    Most overrated? Brisket, followed closely by ribeye. Though @bgebrent has a point!

As for chicken breast, that's the best part of the bird! Next to the liver! =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @SGH's pork calamari
    Without question or doubt, imitation calamari does not get the respect that it deserves =)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    SGH said:
    @SGH's pork calamari
    Without question or doubt, imitation calamari does not get the respect that it deserves =)
    Nor will it brother! ;)
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga