Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thick cut NY strips(pics)

looking for some expert advice, cooking these for Mothers Day, I really want to perfect them with the reverse sear.  I have the PS WOO, I'm just unsure of temps, time, etc.  I want to do 2 of them medium rare, and 2 medium well. Thanks in advance 

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited May 2016
    I'd go with basic seasoning of kosher salt, cracked medley or black pepper and maybe some fresh herbs. Reverse Sear.... Raised or at feltline grid indirect 225℉-275℉ with some oak or pecan or hickory (or combo). Pull once IT reaches desired level. Pull PS and sear in a CI pan, grid or caveman (finish with a herb compound butter or plain butter works too). Pull about 5° before reaching desired IT to anticipate high heat momentum. Enjoy the eats. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    +1 with @NPHuskerFL. Two key targets-the temperature for the pull after the low&slow and being careful with the sear so there's no over-shoot.  With a good instant read you are home-free.  
    If you have another grid, you can load it under the PSWoo, then when you pull the PSWoo to crank up the temp for the sear the hardware is ready to go unless you want to give the caveman finish a go.  
    BTW-great looking steaks.  enjoy.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Set up the grill around 300 or so, and use your thermometer to check the meat, when it's around 10 from your desired temps.

Pull out the platesetter/plate/whichver you use, and then get the grill hot as can be, grid as close to fire as possible. Toss them on for 30 sec a side, pull them 5-7 from desired doneness.

Let them rest for sure before you go slicing. Enjoy the eats!
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • Bullhalsey
    Bullhalsey Posts: 108
    Thanks....for a perfect medium rare, what temp would you pull off before the high sear?  120?
  • lousubcap
    For my tastes medium rare is around the low 130's.  With that as the target I think you are good at around 120-122 and remove from the sear at no more than 127.  Those are thick steaks so you can expect 3-5*F of carry-over.  Better to err on the under-cooked side as that can be corrected.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    I always pull at 118 myself.. Allow some carry over, and then an extremely hot sear close to the lump. Or I do raised direct hot as can be with my woo, and get some great results if I have the real estate for a hot area for flipping.

That said, I consider what we eat medium rare- more towards rare based on comments from others that have seen or eaten at my home. I shoot for 125-127 finish temp on any steak regardless. Use a good thermometer and cook to temp, not time, as always.
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Be sure your low fire isnt too smoky. Ie get your temp stabilized long before you put them on for the initial low temp cook.  You want the charcoal to be burning for a while otherwise you get that initialntoo sooty smoky flavor.  Some like it on steaks. I dont.   Stabilize temp at 275-300 for about an hour amd then put them on.  Let em cook for 45 mins or so pull off and then add charcoal, open vents and let er rip to about 600.  Temp should take 15 mins to achieve with another 15 to stabilize and burn off the smoky sooty stuff.   Make sure cast iron grid is on or the grill grate.  I like searing indirect but going direct is fine too. Apply the 360/90 method and youre golden

Perfect med rare edge to edge amd char crust works everytime
  • Bullhalsey
    End result was good, but not exactly perfect.  I monitored the meat temp very closely with my Thermapen.  They came out more of a medium to medium well, instead of medium rare.  Oh, well, trial and error.  I cook most everything perfectly on the BGE, but something as easy as a steak has eluded me
  • lousubcap
    Thanks for the feed-back.  Great crust on those steaks.  Sounds like the carry-over got you after the sear?    
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    edited May 2016
    End result was good, but not exactly perfect.  I monitored the meat temp very closely with my Thermapen.  They came out more of a medium to medium well, instead of medium rare.  Oh, well, trial and error.  I cook most everything perfectly on the BGE, but something as easy as a steak has eluded me
    They look nice; sorry they are overcooked.  Did you 1) sear first and roast, or did you 2) reverse sear as planned? 

If you did #1, the roasting time was too long and I'd suggest pulling in the low 120s temp next time. They never heat perfectly uniform so if part of the steak is running hotter I'll pull it when the coolest part gets to 120*.  You may also need to move them around a bit as the roasting fire is not widespread and there will be hot spots when the airflow is cut to roasting. 

If you did #2, again I'd pull it sooner at a lower temp; probably 10* lower.  Alternatively, maybe the time to get the grill to searing temp was faster than your prior times so the steaks had less time to cool. 

Lastly, I'd pick a method and use it every time. It's much easier to nail down. I try to buy 1.5" steaks and I almost always use method #1 because I had years of experience on my weber kettle doing that way and know what to expect.  Doing them that way on the egg required only a tweak to my timing and learning to fill the egg's charcoal load to the same level each time.  When I have used reverse sear, I get good results, but I've realized that I'm out of comfort zone, so I don't use it unless I have a 2" steak.  Others practice reverse sear regularly and have it nailed down. 
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • fishepa
    fishepa Posts: 211
    If you are going to do this a number of times, I would invest in a remote thermometer or something you could leave in the steak while it cooks.  That will give you the best way to monitor the temp increase over a period of time and also in the same place in the steak.  
    War Damn Eagle!
  • AEgger
    AEgger Posts: 23
    I find with strip steak getting it to med rare it cooks to fast to go low then reverse sear.  I just use high heat and pull  when done.  Now filet does well with reverse sear.  
    AEgger; griller of the house in NC; lg and sm egg
  • Bullhalsey
    Ragtop99 said:
    They look nice; sorry they are overcooked.  Did you 1) sear first and roast, or did you 2) reverse sear as planned? 

If you did #1, the roasting time was too long and I'd suggest pulling in the low 120s temp next time. They never heat perfectly uniform so if part of the steak is running hotter I'll pull it when the coolest part gets to 120*.  You may also need to move them around a bit as the roasting fire is not widespread and there will be hot spots when the airflow is cut to roasting. 

If you did #2, again I'd pull it sooner at a lower temp; probably 10* lower.  Alternatively, maybe the time to get the grill to searing temp was faster than your prior times so the steaks had less time to cool. 

Lastly, I'd pick a method and use it every time. It's much easier to nail down. I try to buy 1.5" steaks and I almost always use method #1 because I had years of experience on my weber kettle doing that way and know what to expect.  Doing them that way on the egg required only a tweak to my timing and learning to fill the egg's charcoal load to the same level each time.  When I have used reverse sear, I get good results, but I've realized that I'm out of comfort zone, so I don't use it unless I have a 2" steak.  Others practice reverse sear regularly and have it nailed down. 

I did method #2.  You bring up a good point here, when I pulled the steaks off and cranked the heat up, it was only about 3 minutes before she was about 600 degrees.  So I did not wait and put them on to sear.  How long would you let the steaks rest before searing them up?  Again, these were good, just not that perfect medium rare.  Thanks again for everyone's input.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    @Bullhalsey I don't have any set time although my XL won't go from around 270* to full nuclear in 3 minutes.  The size of the fire needed will depend on how many steaks I'm doing.  I don't want 3 over open flame and 1 steak off to the side in a 600* egg searing slower than the other 3.  I pull at a low temp because I can't guarantee my sear time will be identical for each steak, each time.  I stop the roasting on the rare side of my target because undercooked steak can be fixed, but an overcooked steak means I don't enjoy my meal.

If the go nuclear & sear process goes faster than expected, I close the egg down to a trickle (settings like used for 225* so some air passes through the egg), give them an extra flip and let them roast an extra minute or two.  Then I check and flip if needed until the desired temp is hit. 

Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • nutshellml
    nutshellml Posts: 166
    I've used the TREX NakedWhiz method after trying many ways and it hasn't steered me wrong yet.  Give it a try.  Basically sear first 90seconds let rest for 20min and bring egg to 400 then on for about 4-6 min per side.  comes out amazing
    Northern Jersey
    XL BGE  |  XL Adjustable Rig Combo  |  CyberQ  |  Maverick 733
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    I've used the TREX NakedWhiz method after trying many ways and it hasn't steered me wrong yet.  Give it a try.  Basically sear first 90seconds let rest for 20min and bring egg to 400 then on for about 4-6 min per side.  comes out amazing
    Couldn't agree more. Worth a try
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Totally agree with this.  It is much easier to catch the perfect meat temp while roasting rather than during a hot sear.  One trick that I've learned lately from @darby_Crenshaw was to get the fire going for the sear but don't shut the dome until you add the indirect stone.  This keeps the egg from getting stabilized at 600 or whatever you sear at plus makes it quicker to burn clean once the stones are added and dome is closed.  With out all the reflective heat coming from the dome you get a more even top/bottom cooked chunk O meat.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.