Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reverse Searing Steak by an Impatient Egger

Options
I couldn't wait to get the coals hot enough for the sous-vided 1-1/2" Prime ribeye steaks. So I did the most convenient thing...with the torch sitting only inches away. It came out perfect, no off-taste, beautiful char.

https://youtu.be/lXkpvAPA5Bs
Judy in San Diego

Comments

• Tony_T
    Tony_T Posts: 303
    Options
    Coals looked hot, why not put the steak directly on the coals?
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I've done that in the past, but this way the steaks are completely flat and I can flip to all four sides easily. Pretty hot on the hands to do that right over the coals! The coals in the picture only flamed up with the addition of the torch...I liked putting the flame right up to the meat.
    Judy in San Diego
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,571
    Options
    So you don't really need an egg to do this. Right..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Options
    @johnmitchell: No...but the boosting of the flames from the coals underneath are a big plus. Cuts the searing time way down and thus the extra cooking time it might add to affect the beautiful pink center with a gray layer (pink all the way to the edge with sous vide). So, not "Right."
    Judy in San Diego
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Looks like fun :-)
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited May 2016
    Options
    @Judy Mayberry Youtube post!  You go girl! :smiley:
    I've done this a couple of times and the crust was meh. I still prefer a CI sear. Although perhaps using a mini chefs butane torch would be more ideal than my MAPP torch. In a pinch it works. When in Rome...
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Sweet100s
    Sweet100s Posts: 553
    Options
    Great idea.   You accomplished a fast sear in both directions at the same time, plus all the wonderful smokiness of the egg during the reverse sear time.

Thanks for posting the video!