Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Vidialia onion peels

First ones this year, maybe the sweetest I had in several years

Large egg and mini max egg plus a Blackstone griddle

South Ga. cooking fool !!!!!!!!

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    looking good. love those and yours look solid
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Those do look good.  Did you use a beer batter?
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Pics make it real, but please, method.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Those look outstanding.....Been expecting those rascals (Vidalias)....
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • outrageous
    outrageous Posts: 803
    bgebrent said:

Brent, sometime I do, but usually,  it is flour, baking powder, and water,  very simple batter.  I have found the key is to put onion rings/peels in ice cold water before I put in batter.  somebody told me that years ago, and have always done that. 99% of time, mine come out crisp n stay crisp, but of course, I eat them as they come out of grease, they rarely make it to table.  I eat as appetizers,

• outrageous
    gdenby said:
    Pics make it real, but please, method.

See above

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Nice looking snack right out of the oil! Paul we want our china back! Scratching our head trying to figure out how you stole the fine china right out from under us! :)

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• outrageous
    Nice looking snack right out of the oil! Paul we want our china back! Scratching our head trying to figure out how you stole the fine china right out from under us! :)

We both have good taste in china, plus I am sneaky

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Lov'em.  I'd eat that whole plate, then situp all night with heartburn and it would be worth it.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Those are so good. Your sig refers to South GA. How far from Vidalia are you? I am a little less than 60 miles north. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    I was drinking beer, now am drinking bourbon. A plate of those wouldn't last long about now. Nicely done.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    bgebrent said:

Brent, sometime I do, but usually,  it is flour, baking powder, and water,  very simple batter.  I have found the key is to put onion rings/peels in ice cold water before I put in batter.  somebody told me that years ago, and have always done that. 99% of time, mine come out crisp n stay crisp, but of course, I eat them as they come out of grease, they rarely make it to table.  I eat as appetizers,
    I couldn't agree more on the cold bath prior to the fry.  I've always gone with cold buttermilk.  I'll try your method next.  Thanks for the post brother.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • outrageous
    Those are so good. Your sig refers to South GA. How far from Vidalia are you? I am a little less than 60 miles north. 

I am south east of there, Tifton

• NonaScott
    NonaScott Posts: 446
    edited May 2016
    What is an onion peel? Do you just cut the onion in strips? Yours don't look like rings from the photo. Thanks. They look really good and I love Vidalia onions.
    Narcoossee, FL

LBGE, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter, Ash Tool. I'm a simple guy.
  • rmr62
    rmr62 Posts: 233
    I used to moonlight in a small ER about 20 mins from Vidalia years ago, and the head EMT there was good friends with one of the guys at one of the big farms in Vidalia, so when they would harvest, he would bring me a bushel box of Jumbo Vidalias----I'm talking bigger than my hand (like 2 softballs squeezed together)--man were those good---never find them in stores like that
    Lagrange, GA   LBGE
  • outrageous
    NonaScott said:
    What is an onion peel? Do you just cut the onion in strips? Yours don't look like rings from the photo. Thanks. They look really good and I love Vidalia onions.

My pot was too small, so I cut them in half to fry.   I have always called them onion peels if not a full ring.