Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help wanted with a cold butt

Options
sllofoot
sllofoot Posts: 13
Hey guys.  

Got a quandary for you.   Smoked a butt last night, FTC'd 3 hours, about to pull it apart... And bam.  Gotta drive four hours (round trip) to the doctor instead, then work work. I stuck him in the fridge, foil and all.    So now, eight hours in the fridge later, what's the best way to get at it?   

Do do I warm it in the oven before I pull it apart?   Do it cold and heat then?   It's still safe to eat isn't it? (Please say yes)

Thanks in advance for the advice.   Apologies, also in advance, for any incoherency.   I'm driving a tractor as I type this and my phone occasionally interprets what I'm saying quite liberally at times.   
Floydada, TX.
One large green dragon egg that refuses to hatch but occasionally spits out delicious meat.

Comments

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    If it were me, I would leave whole add a little apple juice or cider vinegar to the foil and reheat in oven then pull. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,384
    edited May 2016
    Options
    No worries with the butt.  As above, put in the oven foil covered,(lowest setting, mine's 170*F, oven safe pan and some apple juice) on a rack til you hit around 130-140*F- then pull.
    Haven't been down this recovery road in around 5-6 years but I  recall it worked.
     And if not, then audible and enjoy.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • sllofoot
    sllofoot Posts: 13
    Options
    Thanks for the tips.   How long should I expecting to take to get to 140?
    Floydada, TX.
    One large green dragon egg that refuses to hatch but occasionally spits out delicious meat.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,384
    Options
    I figured you were gonna ask and I have given the above post some thought-as long as the butt is foil and liquid protected then I would dial the oven up to around 350*F for a good hour and then check the temp of the butt.  They key here is not to burn/overcook the outside.  See where you are in around an hour and go from there.  Basically tease it into the finish-line.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Just a though here but it already has all the smoke and goodness. Why not pull it and reheat in a pan on top of the stove with some apple cider? I've heard Dr. Pepper or Coke work too. 

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I haven't ever tried this but I suspect it might be hard to pull when it is cold. 

I found this when searching:

http://www.killerhogs.com/KHreheatporkbutt.pdf

...and it is very similar to the advice given above.  325 in a pan with some liquid until 145 or so.  These instructions say 30-45 minutes but depending on the size it might take a little longer.  The instructions also suggest to speed things up you can cut the butt into smaller portions before reheating.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    If you have a vacuum sealer pull the chunks of meat off the bone vacuum seal it and put it in boiling water for a hour remove open and shred away.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I haven't ever tried this but I suspect it might be hard to pull when it is cold. 

I found this when searching:

http://www.killerhogs.com/KHreheatporkbutt.pdf

...and it is very similar to the advice given above.  325 in a pan with some liquid until 145 or so.  These instructions say 30-45 minutes but depending on the size it might take a little longer.  The instructions also suggest to speed things up you can cut the butt into smaller portions before reheating.  
    It will be easy to pull when it gets hot in the pan. 

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,529
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Just a though here but it already has all the smoke and goodness. Why not pull it and reheat in a pan on top of the stove with some apple cider? I've heard Dr. Pepper or Coke work too. 
    If it still has the fat cap on it, it will help the butt to retain moisture and flavor whole.
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• Little Steven
    Options
    billt01 said:
    If it still has the fat cap on it, it will help the butt to retain moisture and flavor whole.

If he reheats it in an oven that is dry heat. In a pan with liquid is moist heat. Believe we are overthinking this thing.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Reach in the foil, grab a chunk. heat said chunk with microwave, stove or oven, eat the chunk. 

You really can't mess it up.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Smokin_Trout
    Smokin_Trout Posts: 506
    Options
    I would use a large electric roaster with chicken broth. Warm it to at least 140, pull apart and serve.