Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What to do with flooded BGE

Options
Mosca
Mosca Posts: 456
A guy I know was gifted a LBGE that was in a flood. He says it was about half filled dirty river water.

He is afraid to use it, and I don't blame him, but half of me says to tell him to fill that sucker to the top with charcoal, let it rip with both vents wide open until the fire goes out, and not look back.

I could see doing either, but if there is any health risk AT ALL it wouldn't be worth the cost of a used LBGE.

What says the forum?

(I'm not interested in it for myself, the gifter is a mutual friend and I would be violating a trust to offer to take it.)

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I would do like you say and burn it out (and I'd probably gently bring it up to 500-600 for a while before going nuclear) and then reassess.  I suspect it will be fine after a little TLC.
    NOLA
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    dont think I'd go nuclear, but I'd burn some lump to dry it out after I scrubbed it with some foil
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    i would fill it with lump, light a small fire, close bottom vent to about a 1/4 inch and wait for the white smoke/steam to stop which might take an hour or two. then cook with it. my eggs been in the water before with ducks swimming around it =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • tgs2401
    tgs2401 Posts: 423
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    I wouldn't hesitate to use it.

I would probably hose it out and give a gentle scrubbing. Let it air dry for a couple days and then run a series of small fires to help dry it out.
    Agree with @HeavyG
    One large BGE in Louisville, KY.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options

fire that sucker up and grill hotdogs for neighbors first. I kid. I would use it for sure after some fires

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Shouldn't you bake a loaf of bread in that moisture rich environment?
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    Might be safer to give it a good cleaning then stick a heat gun in the top with the bottom vent open to dry it. 
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    Hose it down or hit it with a pressure washer, give it a day to dry out, put some lump to it and start using it.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• jimithing
    jimithing Posts: 254
    Options
    If it was mine I'd give it a good scrubbing with clean water and a brush - no chemicals.  Then let it sit open in the sun for a few days.  Then an extended low temp burn.
    XL BGE
    Plano, TX
  • Mosca
    Mosca Posts: 456
    Options
    One thing, the BGE was flooded two-three years ago, it's already dried out. The question is more about nasties inside that might ruin your day.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    Heat will kill the nasties.   Fire it up.

I'd crank it up to 350 or 400 for a couple of hours and then open it up to 500+ for a while - then cook a steak on it.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    Heat will kill the nasties. I had some serious mold in one of ours a few years back....had mold in it for a good 3 months... 1 nuclear fire...
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    If that's the case, load it up with lump and let it burn out.  I'd still replace the gasket since that can harbor some nasties that won't get killed by the heat!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Tony_T
    Tony_T Posts: 303
    Options
    dougcrann said:
    Heat will kill the nasties. I had some serious mold in one of ours a few years back....had mold in it for a good 3 months... 1 nuclear fire…
    A good way to prevent mold is to keep the bottom vent and dome open a crack (use a twig or a nail)
  • NonaScott
    NonaScott Posts: 446
    Options
    Tony_T said:
    dougcrann said:
    Heat will kill the nasties. I had some serious mold in one of ours a few years back....had mold in it for a good 3 months... 1 nuclear fire…
    A good way to prevent mold is to keep the bottom vent and dome open a crack (use a twig or a nail)
    Yep. When I got mine in January the salesman told me not to cover it and keep the bottom vent open and cap off once the fire went out since I keep it under a roof.
    Narcoossee, FL

LBGE, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter, Ash Tool. I'm a simple guy.
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    Tony_T said:
    dougcrann said:
    Yep. I keep the bottom open maybe 1/16th an inch and put a few Golf tees in between lid and base. Won't freeze shut in winter either. 
  • Tony_T
    Tony_T Posts: 303
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I use a twig, but now I'm switching to a tee :)
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    Tony_T said:
    dougcrann said:
    Mine got moldy due to operator brain fart. We made a beer can chicken in early spring...and left the beer can and stand in it. Since then we use the Eggs pretty much daily...gonna be hard for stuff to grow when they get used....

To the OP....would replace the gasket....would be more concerned with stuff living there then in the "Mexican Pottery"....
  • Jupiter Jim
    Options
    I'm so confused about what could be alive after so much time and then after a 600 degree clean burn! Are we really so worried about what could be living in the Egg now that we know it was 2-3 years ago! There is nothing wrong with that Egg other than it needs a loving home with someone that is ready to fire it up and cook some awesome food.

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,180
    Options
    I bet a flooded egg is still cleaner than most restaurants. 
  • Jupiter Jim
    Options

Totally agree, as a service electrician/contractor I learned a very long time ago to just not look very close while working in restaurant kitchens while working in them or I would never eat out......... Oh and I'm still alive. :)

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    I'm so confused about what could be alive after so much time and then after a 600 degree clean burn! Are we really so worried about what could be living in the Egg now that we know it was 2-3 years ago! There is nothing wrong with that Egg other than it needs a loving home with someone that is ready to fire it up and cook some awesome food.
    With flooding any critters/sewage that might have been floating in the Egg is one issue that is easy to fix. Kill it with fire!

Another issue with flooding is lots of known and unknown chemicals are commonly found in floodwaters. Quite possible that gas, diesel, pesticides, etc., etc., etc. could have absorbed into the unglazed ceramic interior during the flood.

They tell you never to use lighter fluid to start your lump in an egg because the vapors will "ruin" your kamado. I'm not sure I really believe that but that seems to be the common wisdom.

Again, I wouldn't worry about using an Egg that had been flooded.

Well...I wouldn't worry much. :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Jupiter Jim
    Options
    I'm sorry any of what you speak of after 2-3 years I just don't think it could be an issue after a good hot clean burn. If it was me I would load it up with lump to the top of the fire ring light it up top vent 100% open and bottom vent 100% open and let it burn until all lump is nothing but ash and then start cooking with it. The egg can take a nuke clean burn. I have taken cold water to eggs, plate setters to cool them after Eggfest so I could travel with them.

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options

Totally agree, as a service electrician/contractor I learned a very long time ago to just not look very close while working in restaurant kitchens while working in them or I would never eat out......... Oh and I'm still alive. :)
    Long story, but fresh out of college I was in public accounting. A large local client was Pabst Blue Ribbon. I got assigned to the inventory observation meaning I went into the bowels of the brewery to make recounts and observe recordings. I saw dead rats in the granary and about puked from the stench in the early brewing area. After 4 years of drinking beer in college that day at Pabst ruined me for drinking any brand of beer for well over a year and that's no lie. I could just smell when someone would pop a  beer and have flash backs - BAD flashbacks that is! 

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Jupiter Jim
    Options
    RRP said:

Long story, but fresh out of college I was in public accounting. A large local client was Pabst Blue Ribbon. I got assigned to the inventory observation meaning I went into the bowels of the brewery to make recounts and observe recordings. I saw dead rats in the granary and about puked from the stench in the early brewing area. After 4 years of drinking beer in college that day at Pabst ruined me for drinking any brand of beer for well over a year and that's no lie. I could just smell when someone would pop a  beer and have flash backs - BAD flashbacks that is! 

Your still with us too!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    RRP said:

Your still with us too!
    yup - just glad we didn't have any meat processor clients! Some things a man just doesn't need to see! =)=)=)
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Smokin_Trout
    Smokin_Trout Posts: 506
    Options
    Wash out, air dry for a few days. Small fire to slowly dry it 100%. Any moisture that is in the ceramics and heated too fast and too hot will steam and bust the egg. Just like wet stone around a campfire. 
    Then burn it up- not too many things can survive 600 degrees.