Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Total Solar Eclipse 08/21/2017. Good Time for an Egghead Party?

Options
With the afterglow of the Butt Blast drawing folk's attention to parties in 2017, I thought I would love to be at one such event during the upcoming total solar eclipse on Monday, August 21, 2017.  The area of total eclipse does not touch Michigan.  This is just something I thought I would throw out there for Forum consumption.  Attached is a NASA video showing the area of total eclipse.

https://youtu.be/9C0SeDenPRo
Flint, Michigan

Comments

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options

Any day is good for an egg gathering. I will say that late August down south would be brutal with the heat though......butt I can take it. Hydration will be critical. A good southern church batch of Bourbon Slushies should do the trick. @YukonRon

Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    You had me till you said Monday. That would officially be the oldest eggfest ever thrown with an average age of 97.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Getting as dark as night in the middle of the day is cool.  Monday does make it a bit inconvenient, but how many total solar eclipses will you have the opportunity to experience?  The difference between Saturday and Monday are two vacation days.  Eggs, elcohol & eclipses are party ingredients that's hard to beat!
    Flint, Michigan
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I'd be in Fred!  Around the ATL, I like your thinking!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    I've seen a couple total solar eclipses. They are spectacular.

One problem with scheduling an Eggfest sort of gathering is you have to just hope the weather cooperates at your location.

Ideally you want to be mobile so that you can scope out the weather a few days in advance to ensure that you can get to a site that will likely be cloud free.

Perhaps a MiniMax-fest then? :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I just looked up the next total solar eclipses in North America.  2021 (Canada), 2023 (Mexico & SW U.S.)  & 2024 (Texas, Midwest & New England).   
    Flint, Michigan
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    HeavyG said:

One problem with scheduling an Eggfest sort of gathering is you have to just hope the weather cooperates at your location.

Ideally you want to be mobile so that you can scope out the weather a few days in advance to ensure that you can get to a site that will likely be cloud free.

That problem is true with all outdoor, long-range scheduled events.  One can only wish for accurate weather forecasting months before an event is scheduled. ...maybe when quantum processors are invented...
    Options
    PS - Fred, August is hot as F*CK.
    You're right it can be pretty darn hot.  I was throwing it out for thought.  I still think it would be a real cool backdrop for an egghead party. 
    Flint, Michigan
  • HeavyG
    Options
    HeavyG said:

That problem is true with all outdoor, long-range scheduled events.  One can only wish for accurate weather forecasting months before an event is scheduled. ...maybe when quantum processors are invented...
    True.

Just depends what your primary focus is.

If you are primarily concerned with wanting to see the eclipse you'll want the flexibility to pick a location just a few days out.

Whatever site you might pick make absolutely certain it is in the path of totality - ideally right on the centerline of the path of totality to maximize the time the sun is in total eclipse. If it's not, you're not really going to have that great naked eye experience.

Me and my wife and a few friends will likely end up in Wyoming or Nebraska as the western states have better odds of cloud free weather that time of year.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I'm thinking Colorado. I know one helluva spot that would be ideal for such an event. A driveable location <9000 ft elevation, doable. Watch your ethanol intake at that elevation. You have been warned.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Just spoke to My beautiful wife about it. DONE DEAL.
    Alluall in those drivable RVs towing those off roaders ought to consider it.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Thanks Fred for the heads up!

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    Scientists don't know for sure if the eclipse is going to happen. Gravity is just a theory. 

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    I'm thinking Colorado. I know one helluva spot that would be ideal for such an event. A driveable location <9000 ft elevation, doable. Watch your ethanol intake at that elevation. You have been warned.
    @YukonRon based on the map CO isn't in the path for a total eclipse.  I found this web site with lots of great info. 

http://www.eclipse2017.org/2017/path_through_the_US.htm

They have a link to an interactive map.

In GA Hiawassee is in the path (@egret)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• YukonRon
    Options
    Dammit. I was viewing on a small IPhone and my eyes are really bad. 
    This changes everything.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    We'll see you on the dark side of the moon.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • HeavyG
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    No location in Colorado is in the path of totality so you really wouldn't see anything with the naked eye.

Trust me, if you want to really experience these you MUST be in the path of totality.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Dammit. I was viewing on a small IPhone and my eyes are really bad. 
    This changes everything.
    Grand Teton in Wyoming is in the path if you are looking for elevation.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I notice the Boro is in the path.  Do we know anyone there?
    Flint, Michigan
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Hiawassee is in the path too. How's the weather in the NGA mountains in August? @egret, you listening? =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Hiawassee is in the path too. How's the weather in the NGA mountains in August? @egret, you listening? =)
    It's hot!  But you gotta love the location.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options

Options
    I notice the Boro is in the path.  Do we know anyone there?
    I seem to remember someone there who threw an Eggfest recently..hmmm...

Medium BGE in Cincinnati OH.

"

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me. " Duke of Wellington, Battle of Waterloo.
  • ScottNC
    ScottNC Posts: 240
    Options
    Here ya go

Western, North Carolina

Large, MiniMax, Blackstone 17" Smashburger Griddle & Stuff

• ScottNC
    ScottNC Posts: 240
    Options
    Sorry, should have put this is Hiawassee 

Western, North Carolina

Large, MiniMax, Blackstone 17" Smashburger Griddle & Stuff

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    The Georgia Mountain Fairground's/Campground would be awesome in August, it's on the shore of Lake Chatuge and they have a very nice pavilion we could use. Hotels very close also.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options

I am planning a road trip out west, CO, UT and NV, next August to visit family with a side trip to WY for the eclipse. I will take my Lunt 60mm solar scope. There are a lot of things that happen here on Terra Firma during an eclipse that must also be observed, though you need to know what to look for.

A REALLY good book about Sol is "The Sun's Heartbeat" by Bob Berman. It covers so much about the Sun I had to read it twice and ear-mark many pages.

I observe Sol nearly every day that the weather allows, hence my avatar.

Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    The Georgia Mountain Fairground's/Campground would be awesome in August, it's on the shore of Lake Chatuge and they have a very nice pavilion we could use. Hotels very close also.
    I like the way you think.