Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Building a smokehouse

Options
I have no reason to build a smokehouse because I have two eggs...however...they look really cool. Has anyone built a small smokehouse? One that has adequate airflow and is the size of a large BGE or smaller? 

Comments

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Have considered it, just for the cool factor..  There are some really nice smokehouses on smokingmeatforum.com

I now hang my stuff vertically in the Weber smoker with a Pro-Q, and a hot plate if necessary.  Which really hinders my desires to build.  You could cold smoke in a cardboard box if needed, with no difference in results.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    edited April 2016
    Options

*** WARNING *** WARNING *** WARNING ***

Focker said:
    ... There are some really nice smokehouses on smokingmeatforum.com...
    DO NOT GO TO THAT ADDRESS!!!

I did, and I got what I'm sure is a scam that would have installed malware on my computer!!!!!

The real address has an "s" at the end.  It's not "smokingmeatforum.com" singular, it's smokingmeatforums.com PLURAL.

When I went to the other one (without the "s"), up popped a thing that claimed I had an outdated Flash player, and it wanted me to click on it to update Flash.  I was suspicious and closed the page.  I then went to Adobe myself, directly, and downloaded and installed the current Flash player, and then, knowing I had the latest, REAL Adobe Flash player, I tried that link again, and again it claimed I had the wrong thing and wanted to install it.

So I did a search for smoking meat forum, and found the real address was one letter different.  I really think that other one is a scam, and is trying to infect computers with something by pretending it's a Flash installer.
  • Royal Coachmen
    Options
    @Focker it really is more for the "cool" factor than anything else. I really just needed someone to tell me to be satisfied with my egg and talk me off the ledge of building one. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I've never built one and the only one I have ever seen was George Washington's. Yes, that GW. He grew up near where did (a few years earlier) and they had a smokehouse on the farm. This is the place where he supposedly cut down the cherry tree.

I assume what I saw was supposed to be a reconstruction of the original. It looked like this when I was a kid. It was a fairly deep hole in the ground as I recall. They built the fire down in it and hung the meat from the rafters. Or something like that. Last time I saw it, I was probably 12-15 years old. Could very well have the story mixed up a bit. 

The last time I was there was last summer. It had been filled in and the roof was gone. That leads me to believe that it wasn't historically accurate. Otherwise, I would have thought they would have preserved it.

Anyway, GW slept here. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut