Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Skin cancer...

dougcrann
dougcrann Posts: 1,129
Going to the doctor tomorrow for what has become an annual event....getting some skin cancer frozen. Folks, please use care when going outdoors. 

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Sorry to hear that Doug. At least you know the routine. Had a boss one time that had the same issue - was an avid fisherman and would get sunburnt badly as he was fair skinned.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,869
    This stuff is no joke.  We lost a faculty member here at Duke to this.  She was Brazilian, found a little spot on her chest, didn't think much of it.  Finally got it tested and she was stage four.  She was gone in six months.  

Get checked out folks.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Vegas Eggus
    Vegas Eggus Posts: 152
    I go every 6 months. Also had a coworker nearly lose his life to a small spot on the chest. 
    As an older "translucent American" the 6 month routine seems prudent. Always leave with a number of spots frozen off at a minimum. 
  • dougcrann
    Growing up we had a pool. My mother had me go swimming in jeans and a long sleeve shirt. Had sun poisoning several times. Used to burn to the point of blistering. Folks are right, this stuff is no joke. One of my bosses in Phoenix was very light skinned. Had 2 very active kids. Rich started losing skin at the age of 28. He used high SPF sun block and was pretty careful. Came to work one day missing a very large chunk of skin on his nose. For a while he was going to the dermo every 4 months...and always left with something frozen.

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    I am worried about this myself. I am not too fair skinned but I burn like crazy. Weird considering I am born and raised on water and would think skin would be adjusted. Guess you can't adjust. I put 50 on and still get plenty of sun
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    I go every year and get hit a couple times with the freezing.  Good friend's brother in law passed away from a cancerous spot on the bottom of his foot.  found it because he stepped on a nail.  He passed in less than two years.  

something everyone should watch.

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • gonepostal
    gonepostal Posts: 711
    Made an appt. today...
    Wetumpka, Alabama
    LBGE and MM
  • dougcrann
    edited April 2016
    The doc had enough of freezing it...cut it out and sent it to get a biopsy. Wife said I have a good sized hole...
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Hope things go okay. I was in today and had 2 spots biopsies and a third frozen. 
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Thanks to this thread, I go in Thursday to have a few "abnormalities" looked at.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • CoMoBGE
    CoMoBGE Posts: 374
    Had surgery a year and a half ago to take out some skin cancer right on my hairline. I found a doctor that did MOHS surgery instead of freezing and very glad I did. Now it is sunscreen every day and wearing hats.  
  • My gf had melanoma.  Hers wasn't from being out in the sun.  She had a mole that started bleeding.  Got it cut out and it came back.  Got it cut out again and it came back.  She ended up on a trial program of immunotherapy.  So far she's been cancer free
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    CoMoBGE said:i
    Had surgery a year and a half ago to take out some skin cancer right on my hairline. I found a doctor that did MOHS surgery instead of freezing and very glad I did. Now it is sunscreen every day and wearing hats.  
    Finding a skilled MOHS Surgeon is a great way to go. Especially if the skin cancer is on your face. I worked in a MOHS clinic for my first 8 years at MD Anderson Cancer Center. This would be my first choice over just having a spot excised. 

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • flachick
    flachick Posts: 40
    I had a malignant melanoma removed 11 years ago and since then have more biopsy scars than I can count. Currently (literally) sitting on surgical sutures. This particular mole never saw the light of day. No matter. Pay attention. See your doc and trust your doc. Just saying.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Photo Egg said:
    CoMoBGE said:i
    Finding a skilled MOHS Surgeon is a great way to go. Especially if the skin cancer is on your face. I worked in a MOHS clinic for my first 8 years at MD Anderson Cancer Center. This would be my first choice over just having a spot excised. 

This is good advice.  If the lesion involves the eyelids, also see an oculoplastic surgeon.  If it threatens the nasal airway, involve an ENT facial plastics doc.  Most Moh's docs use these folks routinely.  USE SUNSCREEN!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    Been there and done that 3 times in the last 10 years. MOH surgery each time. Face, ears, hands, fingers. Basal cell, squamous cell. Damage was done when I was kid. Many sunburns, lots of time outside in the tropics fishing, flying, sailing. See my dermatologist every 6 months. These days it sunscreen, hats and long sleeve shirts. I left the top of my right ear on the table last time. Nothing the screw around with,
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    dougcrann said:
    MOHS?
    Google Moh's surgery.  Named after Dr. Moh.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    edited April 2016
    MOHs is great I have had the surgery More times then I would like to discuss only two time has it scared but these were three and four layers deep.. two others are on the far right and show little to now scaring .... 
    Spend the extra money on an expesive sunscreen 

Best of luck to you 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Skin cancer is bad, m'kay.

edited April 2016
    Excuse my stupidity. I was diagnosed with prostate cancer at age 57. That scared the living sh&t out of me. I had radiation etc and have been clean since then which is now 15 years later. Skin cancers seem to be on the rise or are they just more often diagnosed? 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited April 2016
    RRP said:
    Excuse my stupidity. I was diagnosed with prostate cancer at age 57. That scared the living sh&t out of me. I had radiation etc and have been clean since then which is now 15 years later. Skin cancers seem to be on the rise or are they just more often diagnosed? 
    Ron, that is awesome you've been cancer free!

My dad, who has cried maybe a couple times, called me sobbing yesterday with news he's got prostate cancer.  His is pretty aggressive.  Going to IA City VA with him soon to get more deets.  He couldn't remember what they were telling him when they broke the news.  Pretty sure radiation will be soon.  Got a great Oncologist and Urologist already lined up.  Time to gear up, and go to battle.....again.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    always been a sun junkie. multiple blister burns over the years, too much sun exposure, even had my whole back blister wearing shorts while ice fishing. so far so good, if i lived in the south i would have been a goner by now. this whole post scares me, its just a matter of time. i did atleast learn to wear a big silly tilley and good sunglasses early on, i lose color vision in the sun, makes it extremely difficult to maneuver the boat in the channels, all the buoys are grey. probably time to get the eyes checked again
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    Good luck everyone is treatment and recovery, cancer is scary stuff
  • My heart and prayers go out to the C-Warriors.  I lost the first Mrs. Flintstone to C and we're going to the funeral this week of our adopted Grandma to our girls.  She was a long time C-Warrior who just lost her battle.
    Flint, Michigan
  • tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    had a basal cell removed from my forehead at the ripe old age of 35.  this crap can get anyone regardless of age.  best of luck to everyone!
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    RRP said:
    Probably a bit of both. More people with more leisure time out in the sun more and more awareness of getting funny looking spots on your skin looked at.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• dougcrann
    Cancer...evil at its finest. Been 5 years already....wife had breast cancer. Now Ernie has some sort of stomach infection.  Almost done with the meds. She doesn't start feeling better back for more blood tests. Doc told us that sometimes this will lead to ulcers...sometimes Cancer...
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Lost my dad and sister to cancer.  Mom is a survivor of breast cancer.
    Focker said:

Ron, that is awesome you've been cancer free!

My dad, who has cried maybe a couple times, called me sobbing yesterday with news he's got prostate cancer.  His is pretty aggressive.  Going to IA City VA with him soon to get more deets.  He couldn't remember what they were telling him when they broke the news.  Pretty sure radiation will be soon.  Got a great Oncologist and Urologist already lined up.  Time to gear up, and go to battle.....again.
    Thanks! Yes, your Dad received bad news - but not a death sentence though that is what "he heard" since I did the same. BTW my Gleason score was 8.9 where a 10 is dead man walking. He needs your support now more than ever, Brandon. He'll have anxious months ahead of him. I hope he weighs all the options available and I personally say stay away from surgery. I have known too many successful, confident men crushed because the way the surgeon's knife altered their life. Tell your Father to keep the faith and don't give up - like I said prostate cancer is not a death sentence. We should probably take our conversation to private email. You have my address so if I can help your Father please contact me.