Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Weber Summitt Charcoal Destroys BGE

Options
Ozzie_Isaac
Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,108
Nah, just looking for Friday topic.
They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I am looking forward to firing it up with our rep. No date yet. I'll keep you all posted. 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    You got me you rat bastard!
  • pgprescott
    Options
    He's pro. 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

**** disturber

Phoenix 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    He's pro. 
    I'm so perturbed I need a good stogie to calm me down.
  • pgprescott
    Options
    Let's move on to the Cubs pitching performance last night!!! 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Yeah ... lets not :)
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • pgprescott
    Options
    Yeah ... lets not :)
    I figured as much redbird fan.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Ozzie, the actual comparison (and yeah, it happened quick!) is right here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    Bring it 
    Jacksonville FL
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    It may not destroy the BGE but it IS a kamado - 

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QTcozmUSWw4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    Lets go crazy, lets go nuts....
    Jacksonville FL
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac - I really doubt that will happen but I also think that the great majority of Weber buyers will never give the BGE a look.  
    Weber's business model (from my view) is that they build a solid grilling product and the saw a chance to penetrate the high end charcoal market (think Porsche and the Cayenne when SUV's first hit).  Their brand will move product although their price point for the tri-pod (modeled after the XL) is pretty aggressive.  
    I don't think the kamado cooker manufacturers have a worry as the kamado is a market where you have to go and seek a product.  That said, I have  eye-balled the Weber and can appreciate their strategy.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    I must admit I would love to have one, but the price is to steep for me.

For the  $$ I would rather get a cabinet.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Dobie said:
    Lets go crazy, lets go nuts....

Let's look for the purple banana
    'Til they put us in the truck, let's go!  
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    I saw it today. It's nice! It is the same price and same size as a XL BGE. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    I am looking forward to firing it up with our rep. No date yet. I'll keep you all posted. 
    I would love to see that.  I haven't seen any here in town.  Don't think we have any premo super platinum dealers here.
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Any guesses on how long a load of briquettes will keep that thing cooking? Maybe it is a non issue given their hinged grate and and hinged defuser. 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    Any guesses on how long a load of briquettes will keep that thing cooking? Maybe it is a non issue given their hinged grate and and hinged defuser. 
    Supposedy 8 - 12 hrs.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    I've caught myself looking at the videos and instagram pictures.
    Seattle, WA
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited April 2016
    Options

Hans61 said:
    Remember its a weber audience though.  They don't do anything over 6 hrs usually.  They don't know how to bbq.  There stuff is fake bbq for liberals and @nolaegghead.
  • Hans61
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I bequeathed my 22 wsm to my younger brother when I got my egg, hard to remember, but I don't think I had many 10+ hrs cooks without having to throw in more charcoal. If the wsm were a car, I'd call it a gas guzzler :-)
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    My 22" WSM goes 18 hrs, no problem. I've never cooked longer than that anyway. I've seen this new grill in person and it easily holds as much lump as the 22" WSM. It's double walled, so it's going to go longer than the WSM. I bet Webers literature on the WSM is conservative also. But those that know how to use them easily can cook as long as needed without a refuel.

I'm excited to buy this grill. This year it's not happening. Family vacation this summer will be eating that money up. 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Just posing again.
  • Hans61
    Options
    My 22" WSM goes 18 hrs, no problem. I've never cooked longer than that anyway. I've seen this new grill in person and it easily holds as much lump as the 22" WSM. It's double walled, so it's going to go longer than the WSM. I bet Webers literature on the WSM is conservative also. But those that know how to use them easily can cook as long as needed without a refuel.

I'm excited to buy this grill. This year it's not happening. Family vacation this summer will be eating that money up. 
    I was a BBQ newb when I had mine, so probably didn't get it mastered during my time with the WSM. @cookingdude555 are you in a warm humid climate? I've never heard of anyone getting 18hrs on a WSM, thats impressive!
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited April 2016
    Options

Couldn't agree with this more.  Many peeps here struggle with the WSMs, and end up getting an egg.  Bashing the WSM without knowing how to properly use it.

I just did a 16 hr butt cook on 17lbs of lump and 10 or so briquettes on the 22 WSM, could've easily went 20.

Avoiding the heat sink running waterless, and Minion method startup, are key.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Lit said:
    Just posing again.
    why are you so fascinated with that 12 year old picture taken after a contest I won a large BGE plus $1,000 cash on a 100º+ asphalt parking lot? Hell, there were guys there with shorter shorts than mine that day! BTW don't you even have a clue how you are coming across? Sorry I didn't have hard-on for you for your poster wall.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Lit
    Options
    Hans61 said:

I was a BBQ newb when I had mine, so probably didn't get it mastered during my time with the WSM. @cookingdude555 are you in a warm humid climate? I've never heard of anyone getting 18hrs on a WSM, thats impressive!
    I agree I never got more than 10 hours out of mine. I use a 22.5 kettle still and can get 8 hours out of it but not sure how anyone could get 18 hours without lots of mods.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    8-10 hours max is all I had been able to get, ever.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Lit
    Options
    RRP said:
    Lit said:
    Just posing again.
    why are you so fascinated with that 12 year old picture taken after a contest I won a large BGE plus $1,000 cash on a 100º+ asphalt parking lot? Hell, there were guys there with shorter shorts than mine that day! BTW don't you even have a clue how you are coming across? Sorry I didn't have hard-on for you for your poster wall.
    You doing a clean burn there Ron?