Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Rotisserie Chicken

Options
On my old kettle. Bought this rotisserie motor and spit for $30 at Lowe's and all I had to do to make it work on the kettle was to screw the motor bracket onto a board that then slides into the Weber handle. Throw some charcoal and smoke wood in there and sit back with a glass of wine and watch it spin. Better than spatch on the egg? Nah. But just as good and it's something different. And it's exciting! Watching an egg dome, even though you know what's happening under it is, well, boring. With this, I get to watch it spin!!! How cool is that?! :rofl:

This cook took THREE hours though. Also, a ton of charcoal and multiple trips to the smoke wood stash.  I guess the open dome is the reason for both. I can fix that if I'm willing to cut a notch in the dome so it will fit down over the spit at the motor end. I was trying to replicate an open fire cook, like a campfire. Used cherry, white oak and maple. Went thru a LOT of smoke wood! Used mostly Kingsford, but I did throw in a batch of RO lump at one the the refills.

Used a new rub recipe, called Smoky Red. From the guy who started Dinosaur BBQ. Excellent flavor, maybe better than any of the others I've tried!! Served with peas, corn and sliced tomato. A delicious meal!!! Thanks for lookin'.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
Central Connecticut 

Comments

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Looks good from here.  3 hours though? Yikes 
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    johnnyp said:
    Looks good from here.  3 hours though? Yikes 
    yeah, I was more than ready to eat!! well rewarded though, very juicy and full of flavor. A spatched bird on the egg would have been just as good - and done in 45 minutes. But this was a fun cook.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• wbradking
    wbradking Posts: 351
    Options
    Looks like you have the charcoal moved off to the sides for an indirect cook.  Maybe next time build the fire directly underneath to speed things up?  In any event it looks delish.
    Franklin, TN
    Large BGE+PSWoo2
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    @Richard Fl hooked up an Egg with rotisserie. I know as I gave him motors when he built it several years ago.  
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,571
    Options
    It looks like you turned the chicken on the spit some time during the cook, or am I wrong...  The end result looks fantastic.. My kind of cook 3 hours drinking wine =).. Nice little invention..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    @wbradking said:
    Looks like you have the charcoal moved off to the sides for an indirect cook.  Maybe next time build the fire directly underneath to speed things up?  In any event it looks delish.
    I actually moved some of the coals directly under the bird at some point, but it was pretty late in the game. Next time, I'll start that way. I may cut a notch in the kettle lid too, to allow it to fit over the spit. That will retain heat and smoke and no doubt speed things along. It was pretty breezy during this cook too so that didn't help either.

In any event, it WAS relish! =) Thanks.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Options
    @Mickeysaid:
    @Richard Fl hooked up an Egg with rotisserie. I know as I gave him motors when he built it several years ago.  
    I did this on the egg 2-3 weeks ago. A bit more involved getting the motor mounted. What I did requires egg mates. If no mates, I'd have had to think of some alternative. The board you see screwed to the motor bracket was actually done so I could mount it to my egg. Only afterward did I discover it fit perfectly on the kettle.

The main thing I didn't like about using the egg was the smoke that left a film on the dome. Cleaned off easily enough with Simple Green and a scrubby, but that was just something else to have to do. Would be interesting to see how Richard did it.

BTW, my rub called for chill powder... the ancho continues to be much appreciated! Thanks!! 

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Options

It looks like you turned the chicken on the spit some time during the cook, or am I wrong...  The end result looks fantastic.. My kind of cook 3 hours drinking wine =).. Nice little invention..
    Nope, I didn't turn it. But you're right about the three hours drinking wine! :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Options
    @Mickey, I found Richard's rotisserie egg. It was an old clay kamado that he restored. It already had notches cut into the base for the spit. I'm not doing that! :)

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=55&func=view&catid=1&id=1297150

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• bgeaddikt
    bgeaddikt Posts: 503
    Options
    Kingsford? I thought that gave a chemical smell, if not then i switched to natural lump for no reason!
    Austin, Tx
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    @Mickey, I found Richard's rotisserie egg. It was an old clay kamado that he restored. It already had notches cut into the base for the spit. I'm not doing that! :)

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=55&func=view&catid=1&id=1297150
    I'm 68, that was several years ago. Cut me some slack :s
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Mickey said:
    I'm 68, that was several years ago. Cut me some slack :s
    :rofl: Gettin' old ain't fer sissies is it? I was hoping Richard had come up with a home-brew Joetisserie. Oh well.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Options
    bgeaddikt said:
    Kingsford? I thought that gave a chemical smell, if not then i switched to natural lump for no reason!
    Before I bought an egg, I used Kingsford for every charcoal cook I ever did, going back to the 60s or so. When I bought the egg, I discovered that is apparently unacceptable. :) I really don't know if it harms the egg, but I do know it makes a ton of ash. For that reason alone, I don't use it in my egg. 

Judging by the stacks of briquette bags in stores everywhere, I have to believe that the vast majority of the people who cook with charcoal use briquettes, not lump. Smells and tastes fine to me. And to them I assume. But no one else on here will admit to that. :rofl:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,343
    Options
    @Carolina Q - I will admit that using the good old Kingsford briquettes will turn out a great tasting product.  But as you note it does produce a lot of ash.  Whatever you do-don't mess with the Matchlight-tried that once when it first hit the market, some 20-30 years ago.  Never could get rid of the lighter fluid taste it imparted to anything cooked on it.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @Carolina Q - I will admit that using the good old Kingsford briquettes will turn out a great tasting product.  But as you note it does produce a lot of ash.  Whatever you do-don't mess with the Matchlight-tried that once when it first hit the market, some 20-30 years ago.  Never could get rid of the lighter fluid taste it imparted to anything cooked on it.  
    Not to worry. I've never used Matchlite. For the weber, I usually use my chimney starter. Place one starter cube on grate, light with Mapp =), then place chimney over it. Used to use newspaper, but this is better.

I don't use the chimney for the egg though.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    What about making a ring out of aluminum flashing? Cut notches for the spit rod. Make it high enough and you can set the Weber lid right on it. That's how the Weber rotisserie ring is set up. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    caliking said:
    What about making a ring out of aluminum flashing? Cut notches for the spit rod. Make it high enough and you can set the Weber lid right on it. That's how the Weber rotisserie ring is set up. 
    Thanks, I've considered doing just that. This was far easier, but three hours is a LONG time for a chicken!  

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,348
    Options
    bgeaddikt said:
    Before I bought an egg, I used Kingsford for every charcoal cook I ever did, going back to the 60s or so. When I bought the egg, I discovered that is apparently unacceptable. :) I really don't know if it harms the egg, but I do know it makes a ton of ash. For that reason alone, I don't use it in my egg. 

Judging by the stacks of briquette bags in stores everywhere, I have to believe that the vast majority of the people who cook with charcoal use briquettes, not lump. Smells and tastes fine to me. And to them I assume. But no one else on here will admit to that. :rofl:
    I'll never understand the knock against Kingsford briquettes. I guess it might stem from those folks that heap up a pile of bricks and then pour a gallon of starter fluid on them and light it off. If you don't wait until all the bricks have a gray coat of ash on them then then that would indicate that all the starter fluid hasn't burned off yet.

If used and lit properly there is no petroleum aroma/flavor when using Kingsford bricks. Most folks I know light bricks in a chimney sans any type of starting fluid so that concern isn't even an issue right from the start.

Take a look at what a lot of smokers that cost more than twice what an XL use - Kingsford. I was recently in the market for a new smoker and was considering an insulated vertical cabinet smoker from Lone Star Grillz. Their "Mini" is designed to hold  20 pounds of Kingsford bricks and chunks of whatever flavor wood one chooses. It will hold 225° for 18-24 hours with a load of bricks.

A lot of drum smoker users use Kingsford. A lot of bbq competitors use Kingsford. Award winning BBQ Champion Harry Soo uses Kingsford in his trusty old 18" Weber Smokey Mountains in competitions. I remember reading a few years ago about one of his amazing cooks - he was given a genuine, flown in from Japan, grade A5 Wagyu full packer brisket. A hunk of meat that would normally sell for about $2500. What sort of fuel did he use for such an amazing/expensive/rare piece of meat? Good old Kingsford Blue bag bricks. 

As has been noted the one downside to using bricks in a kamado is the amount of ash they leave. So you have to clean out your kamado more often. Is that really such a burden??

The whole notion of Kingsford bricks leaving bad fumes in the ceramics or off flavors in ones food is just BS. That notion ranks right up there with myths like "searing seals in juices".
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    bgeaddikt said:

I'll never understand the knock against Kingsford briquettes. I guess it might stem from those folks that heap up a pile of bricks and then pour a gallon of starter fluid on them and light it off. If you don't wait until all the bricks have a gray coat of ash on them then then that would indicate that all the starter fluid hasn't burned off yet.

If used and lit properly there is no petroleum aroma/flavor when using Kingsford bricks. Most folks I know light bricks in a chimney sans any type of starting fluid so that concern isn't even an issue right from the start.

Take a look at what a lot of smokers that cost more than twice what an XL use - Kingsford. I was recently in the market for a new smoker and was considering an insulated vertical cabinet smoker from Lone Star Grillz. Their "Mini" is designed to hold  20 pounds of Kingsford bricks and chunks of whatever flavor wood one chooses. It will hold 225° for 18-24 hours with a load of bricks.

A lot of drum smoker users use Kingsford. A lot of bbq competitors use Kingsford. Award winning BBQ Champion Harry Soo uses Kingsford in his trusty old 18" Weber Smokey Mountains in competitions. I remember reading a few years ago about one of his amazing cooks - he was given a genuine, flown in from Japan, grade A5 Wagyu full packer brisket. A hunk of meat that would normally sell for about $2500. What sort of fuel did he use for such an amazing/expensive/rare piece of meat? Good old Kingsford Blue bag bricks. 

As has been noted the one downside to using bricks in a kamado is the amount of ash they leave. So you have to clean out your kamado more often. Is that really such a burden??

The whole notion of Kingsford bricks leaving bad fumes in the ceramics or off flavors in ones food is just BS. That notion ranks right up there with myths like "searing seals in juices".
    It's not that at all. Briquettes contain huge amounts of filler materials which are particularly not conducive to Kamado style cooking. The ash produced from the briquettes is very high in comparison to lump. Ash is the killer of airflow in Kamados. Other cooking methods, not so much a big deal except there might be some nasty things in the filler, truth be told.