Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anova Sous Vide - $138

Options
Ozzie_Isaac
Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,102
They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin

Comments

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Geezus H cristof. This spending never ends. I am getting one. My Beautiful Wife is going to go into totally pissed mode. Again.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Man, that was close!  I actually benefited by going to bed. 

• DeltaNu1142
    DeltaNu1142 Posts: 266
    Options
    That's a great deal. I'll probably be doing some thick ribeyes using mine next week.

I bought the WiFi version a few months ago for $199. So far, WiFi really hasn't been much of a benefit, but I do it for possible future integration with other systems. For most folks, even BlueTooth will be an unnecessary feature.
    LBGE | CyberQ | Adjustable Rig | SmokeWare Cap | Kick Ash Basket | Table Build | Tampa, FL
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Camelcamelcamel sent me an alert this morning.  The wifi version is on sale for $169, normally $199.  @theyolksonyou here's your chance!  Trying to decide if I'd use it enough.

http://camelcamelcamel.com/Anova-Bluetooth-Precision-Cooker-Black/product/B01761T6V4?context=browse
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    For the life of me I don't see the need for WiFi! Mine is Bluetooth capable and I have yet to even use that. It's something you set and walk away from.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    @rrp I agree, the wifi seems absurd. And I like wifi in everything :) Supposedly there are some minor design improvements to the rest of the unit too. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • rockymountaineggster
    Options
    I have the Bluetooth one and the only time I've used the Bluetooth function is to monitor the preheating from my phone while in other areas of the house.
    Parker, Colorado
  • RRP
    Options
    I have the Bluetooth one and the only time I've used the Bluetooth function is to monitor the preheating from my phone while in other areas of the house.
    I preheat for a very short time since I use very hot water from my tap. With the Anova drawing 800 watts and gas being cheaper here than electricity I figure I'm better off that way.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    RRP said:
    I preheat for a very short time since I use very hot water from my tap. With the Anova drawing 800 watts and gas being cheaper here than electricity I figure I'm better off that way.
    Great point @RRP. Doing steaks at 120º, the "Read" on the ANOVA is 125º with water right out of my tap, no need to let the unit work at bringing <60º tap water up to temp. 
    I too do not understand the need for WIFI/Bluetooth with an immersion circulator. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • rockymountaineggster
    Options
    I do use hot tap water to jump start but it seems to max out at 130 at my house.  I do a lot of veggies that are happy in the 170 to 180 range.  Still though it's just laziness as I could listen for the beep or walk into the kitchen.  If the Bluetooth were extra it's not worth it in my opinion.
    Parker, Colorado
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Dammit! I bit and I'm not even drunk. You guys spend my cash so easily. 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Guess I can do beef ribs during a baseball tournament this weekend. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,102
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Almost as easy as your wife.

*we spend your money as easy as your wife does*  if you took that any other way, shame on you.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • RRP
    Options
    Trust me, you'll get the sous vide method hook set in you real quickly - just like the rest of us did, but don't worry - your eggs and Blackstone won't become orphans. This just kicks your precision & perfection skills higher. You won't be sorry. After all if Nola has 4 of them can those of us with only 1 sous vide unit be silly? I think not and I am a true sous vide convert!
  • bigbadben
    bigbadben Posts: 397
    Options
    That's a great deal. I'll probably be doing some thick ribeyes using mine next week.

I bought the WiFi version a few months ago for $199. So far, WiFi really hasn't been much of a benefit, but I do it for possible future integration with other systems. For most folks, even BlueTooth will be an unnecessary feature.
    I have had the wifi version for a couple weeks. My plans for it go like this:

1)prep chicken or pork the night before. Into fridge. 
    2)day off cook. Load up pot with ice/water/food. 
    3) set Anova to alert my phone if the temp rises above 40 F. 
    4) login and start the cook whenever I want. 
    5) arrive home to properly cooked food. 
  • RRP
    Options
    bigbadben said:

Also 6) 7) or 8) accrue money for a helluva increase in your electrical bill when that Anova unit kicks on it's 800 watt heater to TRY to bring the water and meat temperature up to what ever to melt 2) ice/water/food temperature has been programmed. Good luck with 5)

Me thinks your idea of this wi-fi being an answer to not being home or not having a wife needs more thought, but please tell me I am wrong after you have proven me wrong. OK?
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Electricity is a lot cheaper than a wife. 
  • RRP
    Options
    Electricity is a lot cheaper than a wife. 
    LOL - never mind! 
  • DeltaNu1142
    Options
    ...and @theyolksonyou drops the mike.

Even with a wife (and, most often, her mother) at home, if I were taking @bigbadben 's approach, I would probably still use the WiFi. I just haven't yet, but it might be nice if the situation arises.

When I say integration... I mean with home automation. There's a slight chance, but still a chance, that I can get my CyberQ and Anova hooked up to my home controller so that I can have food temps and alarms enunciated throughout the house ("Your butt has reached 200 degrees," etc.) and tie it to lights for visual indicators, etc.

Do I need it? Decidedly not. Do I want it? Oh, yeah.
    LBGE | CyberQ | Adjustable Rig | SmokeWare Cap | Kick Ash Basket | Table Build | Tampa, FL
  • TheBrewerMoose
    Options

I got the Wifi Anova.  I don't think I've ever used the manual method of setting temps and time, I've always used my phone.  It just seem simpler to me.

Same with my house thermostat... I have the Honeywell wifi and we just use our phones to change temp (it's a long walk from the master bedroom to the thermostat anyways).  Maybe it speaks to what our society is becoming, but I'm using "convenience" and "cool factor" as my excuses at the moment

Strongsville, OH

• DeltaNu1142
    Options

I got the Wifi Anova.  I don't think I've ever used the manual method of setting temps and time, I've always used my phone.  It just seem simpler to me.

I do the same thing... but I'm usually standing right in front of the Anova when I'm doing it.  =)

Not to drag this thread entirely off-topic... but avoiding touching devices or even putting thought into making adjustments is where good automation really shines. We neither touch thermostats nor adjust the temperatures on our phones in our house anymore. The temperatures are adjusted automatically depending on what's going on in the house.
  • bigbadben
    Options
    RRP said:
    bigbadben said:

Also 6) 7) or 8) accrue money for a helluva increase in your electrical bill when that Anova unit kicks on it's 800 watt heater to TRY to bring the water and meat temperature up to what ever to melt 2) ice/water/food temperature has been programmed. Good luck with 5)

Me thinks your idea of this wi-fi being an answer to not being home or not having a wife needs more thought, but please tell me I am wrong after you have proven me wrong. OK?
    Ok here is my math... If I pay $0.25 for a kilowatt/hour of electricity, that means the Anova cranking for an hour to heat up would cost about $0.20. I have done this a couple times so far, and I can get the bath up to temp in about 30 minutes. I am sure I wasted more $$ in lump getting the grill ready for a seat. 

Anyone disagree with my math? 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    bigbadben said:
    RRP said:
    bigbadben said:

Ok here is my math... If I pay $0.25 for a kilowatt/hour of electricity, that means the Anova cranking for an hour to heat up would cost about $0.20. I have done this a couple times so far, and I can get the bath up to temp in about 30 minutes. I am sure I wasted more $$ in lump getting the grill ready for a seat. 

I forget where I read it, but it's cheaper to heat water with an Anova than with a gas stove.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • RRP
    edited April 2016
    Options

You win the cost argument!  Humble pie eaten! 
  • JMCXL
    JMCXL Posts: 1,524
    Options
    Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

• bigbadben
    Options
    RRP said:

No need for humble pie. I appreciate the agreement with my logic. 
  • RRP
    Options
    bigbadben said:
    RRP said:

I would keep in mind though the generally accepted food safety rule of thumb pertaining to chicken especially and most people say pork as well that it should not stay in the range of 40º to 140º for more than 4 hours. So you might want to plan your sous vide application/day long cooks accordingly. Good luck and be sure to report back!
  • bigbadben
    Options
    RRP said:
    bigbadben said:
    RRP said:

I would keep in mind though the generally accepted food safety rule of thumb pertaining to chicken especially and most people say pork as well that it should not stay in the range of 40º to 140º for more than 4 hours. So you might want to plan your sous vide application/day long cooks accordingly. Good luck and be sure to report back!

I have done this "remote" cooking and it works great. 

Now I hate to be a contrarian, but in SV cooking the 140 F minimum is no correct. For example, it is perfectly safe to take chicken breast to 136 F for 70 minutes. Serious eats has a great writeup siting FDA literature. 
    http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/07/the-food-lab-complete-guide-to-sous-vide-chicken-breast.html

That being said, my chicken breast (frozen) went into an ice bath and I took my kids to the doctor. While in the Dr office, I check the temp of the water bath (35 F) with the Anova App, I would have received an alert if the temp rose above 40 F. I starterd the Anova set to 145 F. About 30 minutes later I recieve and alert on my phone that the water bath was ready and the timer was started. 

Dinner time rolled around, I seared the chicken and served. 

Tonight I cooked an amazing pork tenderloin. I am hooked. 
  • RRP
    Options
    Fine! I was referring to the 4 hours between 40 and 140 nothing else. I was under the impression that - ah, never mind, good night.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Well I am going to get one, after I get my kitchen redone. Our breaker box is crappolla currently. Can't run a toaster w/o a home run circuit.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky