Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butter or Oil in Cast Iron Skillet?

Options
doing sous vide filets today and trying to sear in CI for the first time. What type of oil do I use in the skillet and at what temp?  What about butter?

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Pat the filets dry.  Use any high smoke point oil.  Vegetable, canola, grape seed etc.  use butter to finish while resting.  Sounds good!  Post it and good luck.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • JefCB01
    JefCB01 Posts: 57
    Options
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Heat the oil till it "shimmers." It will start forming waves within itself. The technique I've come to use is to drop the meat into the pan, cover w. a splatter screen, and not turn it till the water sputtering sound all but stops.

And I'd add cracked pepper to the butter at the end.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I like Kerrygold clarified butter or Berkshire lard.

Regular butter cannot get hot enough without burning.  Removing the milk proteins when making clarified butter prevents this.

You can make your own ghee, super easy, a little babysitting of the pan is required.  Plenty of vids out there.  Or find some in an Indian grocer or market.  Even a health food section at the bigger grocery store may have it.  

Mixing a higher smokepoint oil with butter to prevent burning helps some too in a pinch, but ghee is the best for the high temp stuff.

I like the IR of my CI grids, pans, griddles to be around 500-600s after a nice long preheat of both the CI and ceramic.  And somewhat raised direct with a fully engaged fire like here, last night.

Reseasoning CI gets old rather quickly, and this is plenty hot to sear.  You don't need a smoking white hot pan, it will burn the seasoning.  And you risk warping or cracking your CI....don't ask how I know.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    I like ghee  or bacon fat for searing as well.
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    +1 for ghee

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,381
    Options
    Lazy and use peanut oil-high heat threshold.  Melted butter after.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JefCB01
    JefCB01 Posts: 57
    Options
    Worked like a charm. Thanks for the tips. 

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Bacon fat here
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Looks yummest!
  • jimithing
    jimithing Posts: 254
    Options
    I like Ghee.  Bacon fat works but it imparts a bacon flavor on the steak which I'd rather not have.
    XL BGE
    Plano, TX
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    edited April 2016
    Options
    jimithing said:
    I like Ghee.  Bacon fat works but it imparts a bacon flavor on the steak which I'd rather not have.
    I am a fan of ghee as well.

However, if you have pork fat (rendered before smoking), it has a much milder flavor.  We have a coffee can full of "pork butter" for that purpose

(now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    20stone said:
    jimithing said:

However, if you have pork fat (rendered before smoking), it has a much milder flavor.  We have a coffee can full of "pork butter" for that purpose

Mmmm... Pork buttah!
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited April 2016
    Options
    20stone said:
    jimithing said:

@20stone Do you just throw your trimmings from butts in a crock pot? I've been planning on doing that for the trimmings from the two Kobe briskets I bought to make tallow.. I want a can of pork buttah!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • 20stone
    Options
    Do you just throw your trimmings from butts in a crock pot? I've been planning on doing that for the trimmings from the two Kobe briskets I bought to make tallow.. I want a can of pork buttah!

This batch was done in a skillet with the surplus fat from a ham and a shoulder. Crockpots sound like the jam, but we don't have one. Growing up, my mom kept bacon grease, and filtered and reused it.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Preach on brother....
    PRAISE THE LARD!!!
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• smokeyw
    smokeyw Posts: 367
    Options
    20stone said:
    jimithing said:

I think they call that lard?
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    Looks like it browned in the skillet

or you can boil chunks of fat down fo make lard
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Thatgrimguy
    Options

Just cool the water when you are done and pull your lard off the top?
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,761
    Options
    when i sear in a skillet i just toss a pinch of salt in a dry skillet, get it hot and toss the steak in =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • 20stone
    Options

I am doing that with my leaf lard this weekend.  I did that last bit in a skillet before I knew better.

I did, however, season the hell outta that skillet
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    20stone said:

I am doing that with my leaf lard this weekend.  I did that last bit in a skillet before I knew better.

Please make a post. I'm going to take my trimmings from my 2 18-20lb Kobe gold briskets and make tallow once I figure out the process.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I like to use both oil and butter.  I throw a pat of butter in after I have already started searing the steak just for additional flavor.   

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• 20stone
    Options
    20stone said:

Please make a post. I'm going to take my trimmings from my 2 18-20lb Kobe gold briskets and make tallow once I figure out the process.
    Will do.

I was thinking that in the future I would use my surplus pork back fat to make Texas (Czech) style sausage with brisket flats.  I haven't ever really had surplus beef fat, so I'll be interested to see how that goes for you.

As for the leaf lard, that's for pies and biscuits.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Bought Ghee yesterday. Worked well. It didn't smoke at all. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf