Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stoker Home Made Probe Extenders

Options

I made a few port extenders out of an extension cord, 3.5mm stereo plugs and plastic enclosures from the local hardware store. Now I have a 4x port box at each of my eggs.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Effing brilliant!  Any extra mods required for the draft blower input/output?  
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    How does the Stoker identify this as isn't the block run as a 4 input in series to one jack?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    How does the Stoker identify this as isn't the block run as a 4 input in series to one jack?
    Not in series, in parallel. It's a bus system, identifiers are in the probes/blowers.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options
    DMW said:
    Not in series, in parallel. It's a bus system, identifiers are in the probes/blowers.
    Correct, the probes have the identifiers. Very cheap to make, I would recommend. 

Big Lake, Minnesota

• SLOandSteady
    Options
    Great idea. Do you have a parts list?
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Better yet, how much for 1?   ;)
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • bigguy136
    Options
    Great idea. Do you have a parts list?

I used a 25' cold weather extension cord (cut into 3 equal lengths), the boxes are from my local hardware store but should be available at every hardware store. It's just a junction box. I removed the cover and drilled 4 holes in it. I found all metal 3.5mm stereo connectors on-line. I soldered all wire connections and never cut the wire. Maybe using wire connectors would work but I didn't want to chance it and I'm too cheap to buy them :-) 

Big Lake, Minnesota

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Nice job. Looks good. I went the cheap and easy route. I bought 25' extensions and then bought a couple of Y splitters. Works fine but not as nice looking as yours. I emailed Rock's BBQ about it and they recommended a separate chord for the blower due to the power draw. Might make sense for the thinner Y splitter wires.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    Nice job. It looks really nice. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options
    Just for clarification.... are you only using these to extend your problem lengths?  Or are you using this to make 12 probes at once?

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    You could do both. Extension and more probes. The Stoker will runs lots of probes.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• bigguy136
    Options
    stompbox said:
    Just for clarification.... are you only using these to extend your problem lengths?  Or are you using this to make 12 probes at once?

As @Toxarch said, it works for both. I have it so I have one box at each of my eggs and that gives me 4 ports at each egg.

I'm thinking about a separate single extension for my fan so the only thing plugging into my boxes are temp probes.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options
    I really like this for the fact that you could run the extension cord inside and use the stoker inside on a rainy day.  I think there was a thread where a person was having issues with his in cold weather as well.  This seems to fix that!