Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A Growing Problem At The Chicken Ranch

Ever since the Mini-Max came out, I've wanted one. But since "Patience" is one of my middle names, I have waited and waited and waited, all the while seeing the cooks done by the early Mini-Max'ers. The photos they shared definitely stretched my patience to the limit. But I've always managed to work through it. 

That is until the Athens Eggfest... 

Yes, we came home with a Mini-Max. 

But now what! That now makes 6 'Girls' working here at the Chicken Ranch. And there's just not enough room to put 'em all. 

There's Lily Large, Shirley Small, Maggie Mini, Lulu Large, Lola Large, and now Molly Mini. 

It's nice to have at least one of the 'Girls' working, even two at the same time, but there's little chance that all 6 of the 'Girls' will be working at the same time, no matter how big the party is. 

Plus, the Coop just wasn't built for a half dozen 'Chicks' to have their own nesting place. 

The Ranch Madam, suggested we send two or three of them packing. But they're like 'flock' here. I would hate to lose any of them. Even Lily, circa 1999, with her wrinkled and broken body, is still a favorite when it comes to providing the ultimate in entertainment. She knows what she's doing. She also serves as an inspiration to the others who look up to her as a "Mother Hen" figure. 

Shirley Small was the next "Girl" to start working here. She was and still is very popular with smaller customers. Still is. 

Maggie Mini came next. And she has served the Ranch well. She quickly established herself as the Go-To 'Girl' when all you want is a quickie for mid-day, or even late night. 

Lulu Large sorta just turned up here by accident. She was supposed to work out of our New Orleans branch, but an opportunity came along for a new 'Girl' to be assigned there, leaving Lulu here. She's done well here and more than paid her own way. 

Lola Large is the result of Lily's many problems. She came here with absolutely no EGGsperience but was quickly accepted by the other 'Girls' and established herself as more of an 'All Purpose' member. Her customers have all turned out great. She even moved into the coveted space where Lily Large worked for many years. 

Lily, as some of you know, went through extensive cosmetic surgery that required a considerable amount of change to both her appearance and ability to perform. She was moved outside the Coop to accommodate her wishes to live out her life as a 'Free Range Girl.' She loves the freedom to come and go as she pleases, although she hasn't moved from her nest in months. Rarely working these days, she still gets fired up easily and does a respectable job of servicing a customer. 

And now there's Molly Mini... 

The challenges of running a Chicken Ranch are sometimes difficult, but I wouldn't change my job for any other. It's always fun here... 

Spring "Six Eggs For A Three Egg Recipe" Chicken 
Spring Texas USA

Comments

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    This sounds like a job for  

th.jpg 14.7K
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    I love having good problems
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Never thought it'd be a bad thing to have several smoking hot chicks around at one time!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Yeah, had a moment doing inventory after buying a used WSM off CL.  I'm at 10 grills, with room for one more. Saving now for a trip to the dentist.   (Peoria Custom Cooker)

5 Weebers, 3 eggs, and two Blackstoners.  Highest I've ever been.  

Figured at minimum, a large and WSM will find future residence at my son's first place.  A kettle or two at my nephews.  

Either way, I'm not too worried about my problem.  The $2135 spent for all 10, is less than my carbon bow rig, or carbon bike alone, unequipped.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Focker said:

Either way, I'm not too worried about my problem.  The $2135 spent for all 10, is less than my carbon bow rig, or carbon bike alone, unequipped.
    Brandon, from afar it sounds to me like you have a thing for carbon whether it be for hunting riding or cooking! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited April 2016
    RRP said:
    Focker said:

Brandon, from afar it sounds to me like you have a thing for carbon whether it be for hunting riding or cooking! 
    Buddy, both of them, eventually found their way to me.  No comparison to aluminum in both.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Never thought it'd be a bad thing to have several smoking hot chicks around at one time!
    And I'm having trouble figuring what to cook on Molly Mini-Max to break her in.  I may go easy on her, being her first time and all.  After that, we'll see...

Spring "A Chicken Ranch Is No Place For Bashful 'Girls'" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    We need a photo of them all together or it didn't happen...
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • I enjoyed your post

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Definitely need photos to go with that post.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Focker said:
    Yeah, had a moment doing inventory after buying a used WSM off CL.  I'm at 10 grills, with room for one more. Saving now for a trip to the dentist.   (Peoria Custom Cooker)

5 Weebers, 3 eggs, and two Blackstoners.  Highest I've ever been.  

Figured at minimum, a large and WSM will find future residence at my son's first place.  A kettle or two at my nephews.  

I love hearing this, and from anyone that has more cookers than me.  I had the neighbors in my backyard yesterday and their eyes got big when they saw 6 cookers on my patio - I didn't tell them that I had recently got rid of two.

I'm going to put another two up on Craigslist, but guaranteed something will pop up to take their spots.

Phoenix 
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    3 BGE's in my backyard. I haven't used the mini since we got the minimax a year ago in Salado. Turns out the minimax is just right for 2 of us. The large gets fired up every couple of months. The large is due for a new grill and an ash basket this summer. They don't eat, or bark so I will keep them.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,722
    And I'm having trouble figuring what to cook on Molly Mini-Max to break her in.  I may go easy on her, being her first time and all.  After that, we'll see...

Spring "A Chicken Ranch Is No Place For Bashful 'Girls'" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

It's a new smoker. A naked fatty is customary.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Congrats Leroy, I don't know how you do it! all those hot chicks that you already had and now ya bring home another one! You sure know how to suffer through life! I do feel your pain because Kay and I won a Mini Max at the Nature Coast Eggfest last Saturday and I'm struggling as to where she will live on the deck here at the NC Mountain Retreat! Might have to expand the deck. Going to keep Lucky the small in the Motor Home because I like having it in a nest when camping.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer