Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT-BIG GREEN FILING CABINET

kl8ton
kl8ton Posts: 5,410
Saw this on the interwebs

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
Grand Rapids MI

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    I think I would place that a little closer to the house.  Safe, right?
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Whatever it takes my friend!
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,722
    I competed against a team that was cooking in a filing cabinet. Granted they got dead ass last in everything but chicken.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    My only issue is that he doesn't have the drawers labeled. How's he supposed to know what's in what drawer???
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Well.....the house appears to be made of sheet metal so he's good!  

'Merica

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    mmmmm, paint fumes. Delicious!
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Dang thats a good idea! With the paint burned off first. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• DeltaNu1142
    DeltaNu1142 Posts: 266
    edited April 2016
    I see this photo a lot.

I don't think a lot of people are doing this... I think a lot of people have found the photo online.

It's clever... but my first thoughts are the same as @pgprescott and @milesvdustin ... I'm sure they don't paint the insides of propane grills for the same reason that this is not a great idea. Smoking at less than 300 deg F, probably, but still...

Maybe someone would be willing to try smoking a whole hog in the trunk of a rusted out 89' Camry. Nevermind that carpet.
    LBGE | CyberQ | Adjustable Rig | SmokeWare Cap | Kick Ash Basket | Table Build | Tampa, FL
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Put the wood in the top drawer and the top of the cabinet would work just like a blackstone griddle.  Is there anything this thing can't do?
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Check out file cabinet smoker on you tube. Very entertaining. My son-in-law wants to try it this summer and I'm all in. The prep work is kinda a PITA but there's no reason it wont work. Secret is to avoid galvanized metal. 
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    After running a fire to burn off anything you might emwaorry about, not sure what the problem would be

The stuff in charcoalnand wood smoke is no safer than paint burning

we seem to forget that smoke is filled with all sorts of chemical cr^p, including carcinogens, carbon monoxide, etc.

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• pgprescott
    After running a fire to burn off anything you might emwaorry about, not sure what the problem would be

The stuff in charcoalnand wood smoke is no safer than paint burning

we seem to forget that smoke is filled with all sorts of chemical cr^p, including carcinogens, carbon monoxide, etc.

If you paint your coal it will burn longer give it a try. 
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Interior of most of those cabinets aren't painted anyway, too
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• BikerBob
    BikerBob Posts: 284
    Do you use interior paint or exterior on your coal. It won't be exposed to rain.
    Cooking on the coast
  • pgprescott
    BikerBob said:
    Do you use interior paint or exterior on your coal. It won't be exposed to rain.
    Either one would do in that case. I would suggest a nice industrial epoxy paint. I'm sure the fumes are no worse than the coal. He it's a good way to get rid of your plastics too. Why hassle with recycling?