Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is this meat any good?

Options
500 Posts: 3,177

Saw this cut at my local WalMart. Kroger doesn't carry this cut. Knowing little Spanish or Latin American dishes, I thought I'd throw it to you guys. Carne Picada is beef but what cut?  It looks pretty fatty so Mrs. 500 would say No to it immediately unless I can make some special delicious weekend splurge type dish with it. Willing to cook outside my comfort zone and try new authentic cultural dishes. Thoughts?
I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
Member since 2009

Comments

• DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    Picado means chopped.

Those packages from Walmart are irradiated, to increase shelf life. If you're comfortable with buying Walmart meat, for human consumption, then you can treat it just like any other ground beef.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Can't miss! It says right on the package, tender, juicy, delicious! Guaranteed! 

Looks like something you would simmer in an arbol sauce or something. Add you fixins and assemble on tortilla of your liking. 

Good luck. I'll be watching. 
    Options
    Well y'all don't make it sound that appetizing
    Member since 2009
  • DieselkW
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Hilarity, "carne picada" directly translates to ground beef, but the word picada (picado depending on gender of the modifier) also translates to "rotten".

• 2. (in a state of decay or fermentation) 
      a. decayed (teeth) 
      En esta clínica, el 80 % de mis pacientes tienen dientes picados.
    • In this clinic, 80% of my patients have decayed teeth.

Which is not surprising to find at Walmart. What is surprising is Mexican sourced "meat" in a Virginia Walmart at $5/lb with an expiration date a week in the future. What's the transport time? Just when was this meat ground?

Your original question: "Is this meat any good?" is literally laugh out loud funny.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Don't know it.. but you might want to cook indirect... Throw the meat out and eat the styrofoam container ;)
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
    edited April 2016
    Options

But it it doesn't have the Radura logo on it, so by FDA standards it must if it is irradiated. 
    Member since 2009
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    What's that symbol on there?  I can't quite make it out...

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • DieselkW
    Options
    You're right, FDA and USDA agree that irradiated meat has to be labeled as such. (Cattlemen tried to use the phrase: "cold pasteurized" instead but didn't get much support)

I'm very surprised this ground on styrofoam and plastic wrapped has a one week shelf life after shipment without a Radura label. It's required to be on the front, but maybe it was on the bottom?

Indianapolis, IN

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    edited April 2016
    Options
    While Walmart is not where I shop, this looks just fine and irradiation does nothing harmful to the consumer.  I am surprised it is not vacuum packed.  Maybe it has been repackaged from a larger lot.  That would explain the short expiration date.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

edited April 2016
    Options
    So now you're making me think twice about buying WalMart meats. Sad because that's the only place I've found whole Packer briskets. Kroger and everywhere else only has flats. Been wanting to smoke a Packer. (Edit: I buy Sam's Club meat all the time, and enjoy it. Never have seen irradiated there and the cuts of beef and pork have been good. )
    Member since 2009
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    500 said:
    So now you're making me think twice about buying WalMart meats. Sad because that's the only place I've found whole Packer briskets. Kroger and everywhere else only has flats. Been wanting to smoke a Packer. 
    I've done Walmart packers. Hit and miss. I bet if you asked the Kroger butcher they could get you packers. 
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    Some day we'll all stop saying "expiration date".  But today is apparently not that day
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Make sure it's leukoreduced too.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    if you're hungry for tacos, heck yeah.  fry it up in your CI pan with some "sazon" and enjoy.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    DieselkW said:
    Which is not surprising to find at Walmart. What is surprising is Mexican sourced "meat" in a Virginia Walmart at $5/lb with an expiration date a week in the future. What's the transport time? Just when was this meat ground?
    What makes you think it was Mexican sourced?  I didn't see any country of origin listed on the package.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 688
    Options
    Walmart used to pack their meat in a gas, nitrogen maybe, that made the meat turn blue.  Then wrap it in impermeable plastic and ship it. When it got to the store they'd take the impermeable layer off and let it turn back to normal color and stock it. 

Speaking of Walmart meat I have a really funny story of how I bought rotten chicken wings a few months back. It made me gag, and I'm not a gagger. I haven't been back for anything since. It reminds me of the smell. 
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    I don't buy food from walmart unless it comes in a frozen rectangle box with the words Tombstone and Pizza on it.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Some day we'll all stop saying "expiration date".  But today is apparently not that day
    I'm a big fan of sell by dates on meat, means I get to buy it for cheap when getting close.
    Pick up these beef ribs at Wally World today for $1.76/lb, marked down from $2.94/lb.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • BikerBob
    BikerBob Posts: 284
    Options
    Carne Verde is a little out of my comfort zone. Experience with ground beef is short shelf life after grinding.

Bob
    Cooking on the coast