Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

fat up or fat down?

Options
yolkedout
yolkedout Posts: 8
I've done a few briskets in my XL now, all fat side up but I've seen and read about cooking it fat side down and I'm just curious if anyone out there could shed some light on this. My thoughts were you shouldnt really have to go fat down to protect the meat because the egg heats pretty evenly. I'm always willing to try new methods of bbq and was going to try it this saturday on a ten pounder. 

Comments

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I go fat side up because that's how Franklin does it.   :)

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I have done a couple fat side down because the flat was very thin and I thought it might keep it from drying out, it seemed to work. Mostly fat side up on the rest.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    I go fat down.  I don't notice a flavor difference, but I get better bark this way
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    Put the fat where the temp is higher.  If you block the rising heat REALLY well (platesetter plus an air gap plus a foil pan) then I would go fat up because the temp will be higher in the dome.  If you are not as confident in your blockage of the rising heat then go fat down.  Burned fat with rub = bark.  Bark is good.  Burned, dried out muscle is like bad jerky....

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    I do briskets and butts fat cap down.  The only reason I do it is if it sticks to the grate then I'm only losing the fat and not any of the tasty goodness of the bark.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    i go fat down because i usually have a butt over it
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • 1move
    1move Posts: 516
    Options
    Fat side up for me
    XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • Huntnfish72
    Options
    Fat up, I believe as it melts it goes into meat and keeps it juicy.   IMHO
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Fat down on an egg. If you were on an offset cooler then fat up. The heat source is directly under the meat. Fat is added protection and it is the point and not the more sensitive flat. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Another in the fat down camp due to the heat source in the BGE.  However you get there is all that matters.  If it works for you then go for it.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    That's the logic I go with
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• pgprescott
    Options
    Zmokin said:
    This has been scientifically disproven. Myth. 
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Zmokin said:
    Show me a scientific proof link?
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Zmokin said:
    Show me a scientific proof link?
    http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/mythbusting_fat_caps.html
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    I see little to no science.  Where are the specific measurable results?

I'd like to see that 'oil in a gouged out hunk of meat' deal repeated with some heat applied to the meat...no one is theorizing that fat soaks into meat at room temperature, which is clearly what their 'experiment' disproves...room temp for 3 hours  and 250 for 10 hours are very different.

I fart in the general direction of this 'scientific proof'.
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    I did fat down last week. Going with fat up tomorrow 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options

This was brought up in a brisket and butt cooking class I took a couple years ago and with heat that you are cooking at the fat is not really going to soak into the meat like a sponge is what I was told I believe it would just run off the top.  I go fat side down for reasons mentioned above, if it sticks I don't mind losing the fat cap, it helps to protect the meat from heat below and I like the bark it makes by having the fat cap down, but to each's their choice and if fat cap works and you like it go for it.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    It does not matter in a ceramic cooker.  Argue on though!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • CoMoBGE
    CoMoBGE Posts: 374
    Options
    I took the advice of my coworker that spent 10 years on the competitive circuit on my first brisket. I did fat side down till 165 then foiled and flipped. It came out amazing and will keep doing that. 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I am still confused about the need to block the bottom.  With a plate setter and drip pan in place it is hotter on top. Dome temp is 25 degrees hotter than grid temp.  

It would seem to me that if the fat does nothing to baste the meat then the best option would be to trim it off completely to get a better bark all around. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    It would seem to me that if the fat does nothing to baste the meat then the best option would be to trim it off completely to get a better bark all around. 
    BINGO you're the winner!!!!

I have always taken the third option in the fat cap up or down decision - no cap (actually leaving a thin layer of fat that will crisp up nicely).
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• pgprescott
    Options
    The point is far more forgiving than is the flat. While the dome might be hotter, 10" below the dome is not the same. Also, I have not experienced the temp being higher at the dome as many others have. Maybe it's me. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I place it on its side, the right side actually.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options

@yukonron only for briskets from the left side of a right-side dominant cow, though.  THAT'S the trick.

@smokeypitt brisket is so lean (at least the flat) I'd think it would suffer, taste wise, without some fat cap

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle