Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whole Foods Pizza dough question

Was in Whole Foods yesterday and asked a guy there if he knew how hot was "too hot" for their dough.  He said they cook them at 425 in their ovens, and while he thought 500 range was fine he wasn't sure.   Just curious if those of you who have had success with their dough balls have gone into the 500-600 range without burning?  
--Because I'm like ice, buddy. When I don't like you, you've got problems.

KJ Classic
28" Blackstone
South Carolina native, adopted Texan, residing in Olive Branch, MS.  Go Tigers.

Comments

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    I did have a problem with WF dough when I lived in Chicago. Took a few trys to figure out that I was too hot...600 range.

I'd go 500 and try that.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    One thing that will help is to make sure you have some space between your indirect piece and pizza stone.  This way the stone doesn't get too hot from the heat transferred through the indirect piece.   

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Tupac
    Tupac Posts: 20
    I've used it a few times in the 500-550 range. It's been fine. 
    One thing that will help is to make sure you have some space between your indirect piece and pizza stone.  This way the stone doesn't get too hot from the heat transferred through the indirect piece.   
    4 of these work perfect for that

http://www.homedepot.com/p/1-2-in-Copper-Tube-Cap-C617HD12/204620212
  • Yep, picked up a few just a like that for whenever I got ready to roll out the pizza.
    --Because I'm like ice, buddy. When I don't like you, you've got problems.

KJ Classic
    28" Blackstone
    South Carolina native, adopted Texan, residing in Olive Branch, MS.  Go Tigers.
  • propofol
    propofol Posts: 22
    I've gone above 600 many times with Whole Foods house packaged pizza dough. My setup is adjustable rig on my XL with stone on the second to the lowest notches on the rig with indirect stone on the woo. 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    tonyled said:
    4 of these work perfect for that

http://www.homedepot.com/p/1-2-in-Copper-Tube-Cap-C617HD12/204620212
    Great suggestion.  Back in my day we called them nipples.  Ahhh the good ol days. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• stantrb
    stantrb Posts: 156
    In general, Egg users cook pizza too hot.  I've read hundreds of comments here about burned bottoms or unbrowned tops, and that all points to temperatures that are out of balance and too hot.  

Eggs aren't wood-fired ovens.  BGE goes out of their way to talk about cooking pizza like in a wood-fired oven, but they're just not the same beast.  I cook in those kinds of ovens professionally, and the heat is just totally different.

An Egg will almost always give a more satisfactory pizza at 450-500 than it will any hotter than that.  It will take about 6-8 minutes.  Get an infrared thermometer to check your stone temperature, because the stone gets hotter than the dome.
    Minimax and a wood-fired oven.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    I think the composition of the dough plays into the equation. I have had much better success with OO flour....as many recommended on this forum.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow