Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Safe to sous vide in the cryovac?

Options
I can't find a definitive answer.  Is it safe to sous vide in the cryovac packaging.  For example, an Excel brand brisket flat.  Thanks!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    I'm still a newbie to sous vide but I don't see why not other than you need a larger container and maybe even some type of cover on that vessel to keep from getting a huge electricity bill next month. Please let us know your opinion of your results.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Yes it's safe as long as the cryovac is intact. I usually SV in the cryovac because I'm too lazy to rebag it, and because I'm too stingy to rebag it :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Thanks guys.  I chickened out and re-bagged it in a food saver but next time I will just use the cryo.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• bweekes
    bweekes Posts: 725
    Options
    Definitely safe to SV in the cryo, but I rarely do it, because I season most things with salt (at least) prior to dropping in the bath. Where I haven't had the need to season, i've just dropped in the cryovac package. 
    Ajax, ON Canada
    (XL BGE, MED BGE, La Caja China #2, and the wife's Napoleon gasser)
  • bweekes
    bweekes Posts: 725
    Options
    bweekes said:
    Definitely safe to SV in the cryo, but I rarely do it, because I season most things with salt (at least) prior to dropping in the bath. Where I haven't had the need to season, i've just dropped in the cryovac package. 
    Also, if you do SV in the cryo, remove any paper labels, as they'll just come loose in the bath eventually (I always get paranoid that it will somehow get clogged in my circulator. 
    Ajax, ON Canada
    (XL BGE, MED BGE, La Caja China #2, and the wife's Napoleon gasser)
  • SmokeyPitt
    Options
    bweekes said:
    Thanks @bweeks.  I did go ahead and throw on some brisket rub as long as I was rebagging.  

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    Sous vide-ing a brisket implies a longer time in the hot tub. If I was just doing something with a short swim - say a couple of hours - I wouldn't hesitate to use the cryovac as is if I didn't want/need to season it beforehand.

If I was doing a brisket for many many hours I would definitely rebag and seal in a proper vac bag.

Different plastics react differently when heated. I'm not positive that the type of plastic used in most cryovacs is suitable for extended periods in hot water without leaching potential nasties into the food.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• SmokeyPitt
    Options
    Thanks @HeavyG and all. 

My *#*#)!*@& food saver bag busted open.  I'm not sure when it happened it might have been when I pulled it out to feel for tenderness.  Oh well it was at 155 so I think it is perfectly safe, but I was basically simmering my brisket for some time.  I'm not sure what happened.  It may be because I had it stuffed in my crock pot.  I am just using one of those crock pot controllers (dorkfood).  

It was in the bath for 12 hours I pulled it, dried it, and put it into a 200 degree oven.  I am going to move it to the egg to finish later. It may turn out to be a flavorless hunk of pot roast.