Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

sousvide semi failure

Options
tried to do chicken wings and the 20 dollar controller would not program, read temps fine though. vacuumed the wings in marinade for a few hours, then into hot pot, took 4 hours to get to 160 from a 100 start. onto grill with franks and butter, wings were just starting to fall apart so had them on at 500 dome for just a short time. good enough that im going to need to get a real sousvide thingamajiggy =) as much flavor as i get in 48 hours of marinade with just a few. no pics as i was trying to catch up to darbys dads gin wall =)
fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    That took a while to heat up. Sounds like you could have gone for less time and the wings may have held together somewhat better?

@canugghead fabbed a DIY SV that seems to have worked well. If you have a crockpot, then the Dorkfood controller may be something to look into.

http://www.amazon.com/Dorkfood-Sous-Vide-Temperature-Controller-DSV/dp/B0088OTON4

The Anova units are not that much more when they are on sale.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,764
    Options
    caliking said:
    That took a while to heat up. Sounds like you could have gone for less time and the wings may have held together somewhat better?

@canugghead fabbed a DIY SV that seems to have worked well. If you have a crockpot, then the Dorkfood controller may be something to look into.

http://www.amazon.com/Dorkfood-Sous-Vide-Temperature-Controller-DSV/dp/B0088OTON4

The Anova units are not that much more when they are on sale.
    my crock was way undersized for the amount going in. not sure whats wrong with the controller i have, going to check youtube later but i think im just going to watch for anova sales so i can go bigger. still good to see how it works even though im only half way there =)
    fukahwee maine

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I use a crock pot and this $25 digital temp controller (like the Dorkfood, but cheap). Works great as long as the food bag will fit in your crock pot.

http://www.amazon.com/Willhi-Wh1436-110v-Temperature-Controller/dp/B00V4TJR00/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1459172100&sr=8-8&keywords=digital+temp+controller

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Oh, and don't use the crock pot to get the water to temp. Takes too long. Boil water in a teapot or something, then blend with tap water in crock pot to get to temp. Takes no time at all.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Sweet100s
    Sweet100s Posts: 553
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Boil water in a teapot [...], then blend with tap water [...]to get to temp.
    What he (@Carolina Q) said!  

Once I saw how much time this can save off sous vide water coming up to temp, I felt silly for not realizing it sooner.

I use this Oxo kettle to make pour over coffee and sous vide water.  It's crazy fast at heating water and the glass sides are cool
  • fishlessman
    Options
    I use a crock pot and this $25 digital temp controller (like the Dorkfood, but cheap). Works great as long as the food bag will fit in your crock pot.

http://www.amazon.com/Willhi-Wh1436-110v-Temperature-Controller/dp/B00V4TJR00/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1459172100&sr=8-8&keywords=digital+temp+controller
    thats the one i have but i think its not working properly, it isnt allowing me to set a temp. if i plug it in it reads temp, hit any button and it says CF, and i cant get it out of that
    fukahwee maine

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited March 2016
    Options
    FWIW I have the dorkfood and I am planning to get the Anova.  It's just too much crap to drag out and the crock pot limits my capacity.  It works great and holds the temp rock steady (once it heats up), but I would still recommend waiting for the Anova to go on sale again. 

+1 more on heating up the water on the stove.  My crock pot is also really slow to heat. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Carolina Q
    Options

thats the one i have but i think its not working properly, it isnt allowing me to set a temp. if i plug it in it reads temp, hit any button and it says CF, and i cant get it out of that
    Do you still have the instruction pamphlet? I see CF mentioned on the page for Advanced Setting Instructions. It means C° or F°. Maybe you are stuck in Advanced? 

My scanner isn't working, but I'll try posting a pic of the page. There's also an email addy for help too, service@bayite.com. Don't give up just yet. Love mine!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fishlessman
    Options

Do you still have the instruction pamphlet? I see CF mentioned on the page for Advanced Setting Instructions. It means C° or F°. Maybe you are stuck in Advanced? 

My scanner isn't working, but I'll try posting a pic of the page. There's also an email addy for help too, service@bayite.com. Don't give up just yet. Love mine!
    emailed them, have the directions and plugged it in, hit the set button and it sticks in CF, cant set it to C or F or upper temp. i want to use little stevens method with the 2x4 =)
    fukahwee maine