Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rib recipe needed

Options
Ok, Eggheads... I would like to try my first rib cook. I know there are plenty of recipes to search, but this forum has never steered me wrong. I'm eager to hear your input. Ready, set, go...

Comments

• Gamecockeggman
    Gamecockeggman Posts: 1,329
    Options
    Soak the ribs in either apple cider or apple juice preferably overnight but even a few hours will help.  Set up the egg for indirect at 250-275, drip pan if you like.  Some apple wood for smoak.  Season the ribs with your favorite rub or combination thereof and put em on the egg.   5-7 hours later you should be good, pull them off, add your favorite sauce if you so choose.  And FTC for as long as you wish....should end up with something like this.  Best of luck and enjoy the journey.
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    Search this site for 3-2-1 method.  Three hours on the grill with dry rub.  2 hours in foil with apple juice. 1 hour (or less) back on the grill after sauce is applied.  
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    Remove membrane or don't.Smear ribs with yellow mustard or mayo or nothing at all... Rub with favorite rub... Get egg between 225-250 indirect with apple, cherry, maple wood etc.. Put ribs on until they pass the bend test... Sauce or don't last half hour.
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    I'm in the 'keep it simple' camp. Babybacks, 4.5 hrs ... Your choice of rub, no sauce, no foil .. don't even open the lid.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    The first decision is St Louis or baby back. I like the St Louis style... Maybe throw one of each on. They will take longer though. I usually do 2 racks with different seasoning. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • HopFather28
    Options
    I prefer competition style or at least ribs that don't completely fall apart so for me I don't foil very long. If they're sparespecially I go 4.5 hrs at 250 then about 45 minstrel in foil with butter, honey, apple juice and a bit of the same rub, then pull and sauce and 15-30 with a thinned out sauce until it's set up. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    I second the call to keep it as simple as possible your first time around.  Once you have a basic approach down, then experiment with trying wrinkles here and there.  Otherwise it's very hard to get consistency and to figure out what you like and what you don't.  

The bottom line is that ribs thrown on the Egg and not touched until it's time to check if they're done (in other words, no foil, etc.) will be very, very good.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Yes. Pull the membrane as above stated. Follow any guidance and you will end up with good eats. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Rib finish-line suggestion; go with the toothpick test.  Insert a toothpick into the thickest meat section, if it "probes like buttah" you are there.  Enjoy-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    3-2-1 method is consistently awesome, I usually have my dome temp btwn 250- 300 with 275 being the target but I don't get bent out of shape if it settles a little higher or lower. For loin backs 3-1.5-1 (the loin backs don't need as long in the foil. I like brown sugar and honey in the foil, lately I have been serving them without sauce. I have a few sauce choices out for my guests. 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf