Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Turbo Egg

Options
I was up early and happened on this poster I made showing my Egg in its new table back in the Spring of 2000. You can tell I was new at Egg'n because I built the table to accommodate my $135.00 gas grill. It quickly became a gutted storage place. 

Yes, I was having some difficulty explaining what all the Egg could do. I soon learned that it can do a lot more than I described. 

It's fun looking back to when the Egg was something new and exciting. But the funny thing is that it still is new and exciting. 

Happy Easter Everyone 

Spring "Old Times Then Are Not Forgotten" Chicken 
Spring Texas USA

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Leroy that Egg has obviously been very good for you =)
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Time flies!!! Happy Easter to you and Judy!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited March 2016
    Options
    What if your 2016 self you could tell your year 2000 self that you would end up going to dozens of eggfests and even helping organize one... You think you would still take the green pill?  

It's amazing how life changing these little cookers can be. Love the poster by the way!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    What if your 2016 self you could tell your year 2000 self that you would end up going to dozens of eggfests and even helping organize one... You think you would still take the green pill?  

It's amazing how life changing these little cookers can be. Love the poster by the way!

I absolutely did not think beyond the moment back then, but looking back, it was a life-changing EGGspeience that has been worth every moment and every dollar spent enjoying it.  

And I think I'm among thousands, if not millions, who think the same way.  

It was a lucky day when my Sweetie said, "Let's go spend some of my Layoff Money."  Two Eggheads were born right then...

Spring "Life Gets Better When You Encourage It" Chicken

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    I've been waiting all day for someone to say something about the Rain Cap being cocked back on the top vent. So far, no one has said a word about it. So I'll explain. 

I purchased my Egg in the Fall of 1999 from BBQ's Galore here in Houston. I didn't know what I was getting and they didn't know what they were selling me, They didn't mention anything about an adjustable metal vent for the top, nor a nest to hold the Egg, nor anything else that I probably should have gotten with it. They actually charged me for the Big Green Egg thermometer (which I'm still using by the way), but gave me a bag on Big Green Egg lump. They delivered it and set it on my wooden deck on the three ceramic feet, handed me the book and left without being able to answer any of my questions. 

Actually, I didn't have many because I didn't know what to ask. Somehow the book got misplaced for a few days but that didn't stop me from cooking something. Chicken breast. Direct at probably 500° because months later when I found the forum, I learned how to calibrate my thermometer. It was about 100° off. So at 400° I was actually cooking at 500°. The chicken was as hard as a rock. 

But getting back to the cockeyed rain cap. I knew I had to adjust the temperature using the bottom vent in conjunction with the top vent. So I cocked the top vent to the side and cook that way for a few months until I posted this very photo and someone suggested that I get a Daisy Wheel. I had to purchase that too. And by then I had built this table because I couldn't very well cook with the thing sitting on the deck. Now you know the rest of the story... 

Spring "Requires A Longer Learning Curve Than Most" Chicken 
    Spring Texas USA
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    Great post!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    Actually the first kamado's required a learning curve which involved cocking the cap to get correct airflow.