Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smashed Burger night

A while back someone brought the smashed burger to light, who ever it was ( sorry I don't remember) I thought I would give it a try. SWMBOed loved them. She said it was one of the best burgers we have had. I pre-heated the egg and griddle to 500. Put the meatballs on the griddle for about 1 minute before smashing them. I added a bit of seasoning to mine and left the other alone. Put a bit of BBQ sauce on the patty and added some cheese. Loaded the burger up with tomatoes, lettuce onions and shrooms. A BIG THANK YOU to the person who brought this type of burger up. =)
Large, small, and a mini

Comments

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    edited March 2016
    I'll have to try it, I've wanted to since the first post of one a bit back. Yours look good too

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    CI burgers and thin steaks rule!
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,717
    Those look so delicious, I'm going to have to try them!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket and various Weber's
    Floyd Va

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    I need to get that half griddle. I made these a few nights ago and can only do a few at a time on my CI skillet. Tried to put it and my mini griddle on as same time but not dice. Love smashed burgers. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Until a couple of weeks ago, I had no idea what a smash burger even was.  Then I saw the posts and decided to try it.  The best burger I've ever had and will be making them on a very regular basis.  Something about the carmelization and the slight crunch ... better than any thick burger in the world.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    That burger looks mouth watering....well done! 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Hub said:
    Until a couple of weeks ago, I had no idea what a smash burger even was.  Then I saw the posts and decided to try it.  The best burger I've ever had and will be making them on a very regular basis.  Something about the carmelization and the slight crunch ... better than any thick burger in the world.
    Never had a culvers or Steak 'n Shake burger?

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,723
    Awesome!! I really need to work on my smashing technique. Yours look awesome!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Hub
    Hub said:
    Never had a culvers or Steak 'n Shake burger?
    I've never heard of Culvers.  I've had a Steak 'n Shake burger, but that was probably ten years ago at least.
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    for those of you thinking about it, GO FOR IT, as stated above
    "Something about the carmelization and the slight crunch"
    This is what makes it. IMHO.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • smokesniffer
    @Mickey would love to hear about ur thin steaks sir
    Large, small, and a mini
  • smokesniffer

@Thatgrimguy I"m just using my spatula and pushing down with a pair of tongs, not ideal but it works, will have to go and get one of those cast iron weight thingamebobbies.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • smokesniffer

@Chubbs  I really like the half griddle, it is limited a bit due to size, you might be able to get 4 burgers of this style on to it. So if you had more people over you may want to keep burgers in a warming oven or just do shifts. I have been thinking about doing little sliders in this style. 
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Hub
    I use this.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

@Thatgrimguy I"m just using my spatula and pushing down with a pair of tongs, not ideal but it works, will have to go and get one of those cast iron weight thingamebobbies.

@smokesniffer @Thatgrimguy  

I bought this about 5 months ago just for smashburgers.  6" x 5" and HEAVY.  I've since used it for other things as well, but Smashburgers is it's main use and I recommend it hightly.

http://www.amazon.com/Dexter-Russell-31655H-Turner-Handle/dp/B008X6282G?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00

Phoenix 
  • MaC122
    MaC122 Posts: 797
    im doing this! Frozen or thawed?
    St. Johns County, Florida
  • Hub
    It has to be thawed.  You can't smash a frozen patty.
  • MaC122
    MaC122 Posts: 797
    @Hub dumb question. Ive heard of them partially frozen
    St. Johns County, Florida
  • Hub
    I smash the daylights out of mine and hold the smasher firmly on the meat for at least a minute or two, so I can't imagine any degree of frozen meat working.  I did some research prior to my first attempt and decided to follow this technique ... it was spot on! (except I don't use parchment paper)
    http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=how+to+make+a+smash+burger&&view=detail&mid=B020765099550F0ADB05B020765099550F0ADB05&FORM=VRDGAR

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

@Hub   I'm going to try that parchment paper trick.  Thanks for posting that video.  Normally I spray the bottom of my spatula to avoid sticking / lifting.

Phoenix 
  • Hub
    Same here.  I spray my Lodge cast iron smashing tool with an olive oil spray.  I don't think parchment paper is necessary.  As long as the smashing tool is warmed and allowed to stay on the meat for about 45 seconds, the meat "releases" and you are home free.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Hub said:
    I use this.
    I have that, never used it for smash burgers. Need to correct that, soon...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Hub
    DMW said:
    Hub said:
    I use this.
    I have that, never used it for smash burgers. Need to correct that, soon...
    Tomorrow would be a great day for such.  Trust me, it is the perfect tool for making smash burgers!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited March 2016
    Cast iron with T-bones not much over a 1/4 inch. Any cut but I really like t-bones (just ask for thin cut). Very quick cook and very tasty. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• smokesniffer
    @Mickey. Thank you
    Large, small, and a mini
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Thank you for this thread!   Made smashed burgers tonight and they were awesome.  Whole family liked them.  Can't believe I've never done this before.  ?

I had a lid from an cast iron skillet that was low and perfect to cook in.  And I even had this antique cast iron bacon press on the shelf which I had never used...dusted it off and it worked perfectly!

I'll be hard pressed to make burgers another way.  Such great results and so simple.  :plus_one:
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,723
    Mickey said:
    Cast iron with T-bones not much over a 1/4 inch. Any cut but I really like t-bones (just ask for thin cut). Very quick cook and very tasty. 
    One of those, 2 farm fresh fried eggs, toast and hash browns please!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Never had a smashburger, but have been wanting to try one. This thread got me motivated. The only standard spatulas I have are slotted. However, I have a plasterers trowel like this

that I bought 100 years or so ago for a plastering project. Did the work and don't think I've touched it since. A little Barkeeper's Friend and some scrubbing and it's ready for its new life. Dirt cheap too. I just looked and they're only $8 at Home Depot!

The cook was an adventure!

1) I did it on a CI griddle on my stove top. Next time, I'll use the egg because I'm still looking at the smoke all over the house!

2) After the flip (Maillard was AWESOME!), I added a slice of bacon and some cheese. When I took it off the griddle, I dropped it on the kitchen floor!! 

3) 5-second rule invoked!!!

4) As if that wasn't enough, I put the bun on the griddle - and burned it! I had more, but decided to eat the "extra flavor".

4) Verdict... One of the most flavorful burgers ever! If you've never had a smashburger... DO IT! =) Next time, I may not even use toppings or a bun. It's THAT GOOD!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Never had a smashburger, but have been wanting to try one. This thread got me motivated. The only standard spatulas I have are slotted. However, I have a plasterers trowel like this

that I bought 100 years or so ago for a plastering project. Did the work and don't think I've touched it since. A little Barkeeper's Friend and some scrubbing and it's ready for its new life. Dirt cheap too. I just looked and they're only $8 at Home Depot!

The cook was an adventure!

1) I did it on a CI griddle on my stove top. Next time, I'll use the egg because I'm still looking at the smoke all over the house!

2) After the flip (Maillard was AWESOME!), I added a slice of bacon and some cheese. When I took it off the griddle, I dropped it on the kitchen floor!! 

3) 5-second rule invoked!!!

4) As if that wasn't enough, I put the bun on the griddle - and burned it! I had more, but decided to eat the "extra flavor".

4) Verdict... One of the most flavorful burgers ever! If you've never had a smashburger... DO IT! =) Next time, I may not even use toppings or a bun. It's THAT GOOD!
    You get big points for the Yankee ingenuity and the brutal honesty. We have all been there with the "rule". Especially after some beverages. I have a similar non-burger specific weapon. That has seen very limited use. Time for a repurpose.
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • @Carolina Q  I had the same experience with my first one regarding the smoke.  Set off the alarms and the house smelled like a greasy diner (not necessarily a bad thing mind you) for a good day.   But so worth it.   I've done them outside on the grill since.   So true on the flavor.   I used to eat thick burgers with all kinds of toppings.   With smashburgers I keep it simple...pickles, mustard, lettuce, cheese.   Incredible.   
    --Because I'm like ice, buddy. When I don't like you, you've got problems.

KJ Classic
    28" Blackstone
    South Carolina native, adopted Texan, residing in Olive Branch, MS.  Go Tigers.