Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Advise on how to get anything decent off those park grills

Options
500 Posts: 3,177
Heading to OBX tomorrow, and the house has one of those park grills, that I can never get anything good off of.  Tried steaks one time years ago.  Couldn't get it hot enough.  Briquets or lump and why?  Maybe wrap the thing up mummy-style in HDAF to try and contain some heat?  Suggestions needed.  Will be great except for not having the Large there to cook on.
I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
Member since 2009

Comments

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Peanut Butter and Jelly will work out just fine.
    New Albany, Ohio 

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,570
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Brats, wings, hamburgers, wrap a couple of onions and spuds in foil and place down in the coals.. Maybe use a mix of lump and briquets for added heat..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,036
    Options
    Lots of briquettes, use a chimney to start ... stick with cheap easy cuts.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
    Options
    I was thinking I needed to get the chimney starter out and buy a bag of briquets.  Haven't used either in a long time.

Member since 2009
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I would Grab a weber jumbo joe.  I think it is easier to bank and stack the coals compared to one of the camp grills.

When we went to OBX you could get a fire permit for the beach so I'm assuming you could use grills as well.  That would be fun to cook on the beach. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    If you can keep the coals swept to one side so that will be the HOT zone for the final crisping and the cooler zone for bringing up to temp like doing a reverse sear.

Or get one of the baskets like some folks use for meatballs.  The perforated metal / stainless ones.  that was you can contain those crumbly burgers much better.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    hotdogs always come out good off those grills =) try caveman style with the steaks for the sear then roast up on the grill, ive had good luck with small pieces boneless lamb leg that way
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    If the cook is small, the Weber Smokey Joe Gold is a great portable grill. It has side vents so the ash never falls out the bottom when you are transporting it. Otherwise, the Jumbo Joe is a portable 18" Weber. 
    BTW - noticed my local Costco (Bellingham, WA) had Kingsford Competition briquettes, 2X18# bags for $16. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Options
    Cooking over open flame or a bed of coals in an open grill is great except in very windy conditions.

The OBX usually has very windy conditions... :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Clean the grill, make sure you can get plenty of air, lump burns hotter than briquettes.  Caveman.
    Options
    Fajitas using flap meat or skirt steak works fine.  Anything hot and fast that you can keep moving.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1188735/forgot-my-egg-still-smoked-meat-while-camping#latest

I like using the camp grills.   They are best for using some real wood in and letting it burn to embers.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Clean the grill, make sure you can get plenty of air, lump burns hotter than briquettes.  Caveman.
    Seriosly?  The flavoring/seasoning on camp grills is phenominal.  Squirel, rabbit, squid, salmon, burger, noodles, carefully applied for a decade!

I bet you scrub your cast iron too.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Seriosly?  The flavoring/seasoning on camp grills is phenominal.  Squirel, rabbit, squid, salmon, burger, noodles, carefully applied for a decade!

I bet you scrub your cast iron too.
    You really need to clean burn those public grills to ash the used condoms, syringes, etc. that are incompletely burned from the previous occupants.
    Options
    Hot and fast is the way to go if you can get a decently clean cooking surface. If not, I'd use the oven and a CI skillet for reverse sear steaks. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Honestly, I'd probably be inclined to stop at the Walmart/lowes just over the bridge and pick up a weber kettle for the weekend.  

Take it home if you wish or leave it for the next guests.  But, personally, I'd happily spend an extra $90-ish for better, cleaner food all week
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Can you build a campfire? All sorts of mighty tasty ways to cook on an open fire! Failing that, just buy a $30-$100 Weber kettle.

Not my pics. Grabbed from Google...

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    We used these all the time in the 70s, 80s, 90s did they suddenly change?  Fire, Fuel, Oxygen & proteins. How long has man cooked over an open flame?  Don't complicate the uncomplicated. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited March 2016
    Options
    We used these all the time in the 70s, 80s, 90s did they suddenly change?  Fire, Fuel, Oxygen & proteins. How long has man cooked over an open flame?  Don't complicate the uncomplicated. 
    Wwhhhhaaatttttt?  That is what we do here.

Is this lump the best, where do I light it, where should my platesetter be, how much smokewood, wbat kind, what temp.  How long is it good, what rub, salt first pepper second, how much to trim, what pot, is this oil ok, how long do I brine, do I brine, what is clean smoke, when does meat stop taking smoke, raised or lowered, direct, indirect, air gap, aluminum foil, glazed stone, thick stone, woo or AR, controller, no controller, vent settings, reverse sear, t-rex, flip a lot, smash or no smash, how much butter, what is good bark, paper or foil or naked, baby back or spares, ribeye or strip, pool of liquid on brisket, sous vide, induction, what pans, what knives, sharpener, hone, how often, end grain or edge grain, thick board, thin board, maple or hardwood.....
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac ......and?  What is the correct answer to all of those questions?  I would like the definitive, objective truth.  None of this opinion nonsense
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Correct answer below:

Options
     A makeshift fire grate under the coals will bring more air to the party. That will get the BTUs up.
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
    Options
    Hey, a bad day of cooking at the beach is better than a good day at work, right?  Don't know how I lost sight of my roots for cooking outdoors. I'll make it work. I'll add more beer if I need to. 
    Member since 2009
  • tgs2401
    tgs2401 Posts: 423
    Options
    Ever since a scouting trip to a State park where we discovered a pile of human excrement on the grid of one of these community grills, I will not go near them. Build a campfire and use a dutch oven or hot dogs on a stick, but avoid the camp grill at all costs......
    One large BGE in Louisville, KY.
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,570
    Options
    tgs2401 said:
    Ever since a scouting trip to a State park where we discovered a pile of human excrement on the grid of one of these community grills, I will not go near them. Build a campfire and use a dutch oven or hot dogs on a stick, but avoid the camp grill at all costs......
    I am interested to know how you identified it as human excrement.. :o.. Well not really.. =)
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,610
    Options
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    because no other species eats corn.  Only humans.