Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New knives

Options
Thatgrimguy
Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
edited March 2016 in Off Topic
I have been on the fence for quite some time about getting a really nice chef's knife. Well, as typical around here, the cutlery thread popped up and helped part me from my money!!

I scored an 8inch Wusthoff Ikon with Granton edge. And my soon to be 1 year old daughter helped me unbox.

I knew as soon as I held it that it was a special knife. Very sharp, very nice. 

Yep, they are sharp. Drew blood in the first use. Actually cut through my finger nail on the middle finger.

I also ordered the Ikon 3.5" Paring knife. 

Here they are together!! 

I'm going to get either the 5" boning or the 7" Filet next. I want to use it for trimming silver skin and chicken.  Which does the egghead community suggest?
XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Just get the Dexter ones. One issue with those polished handles is how slippery they get, especially with chicken.
  • Thatgrimguy
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I have the dexter ones. So far I find these superior in every way. The handle on the Dexter ones are easy to work with though.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    +1 on the Dexter knives. They handle nicely when breaking down proteins or even just trimming them. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Nice pair man! 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Nice knife and all, but your daughter is a cutie pie.

Phoenix 
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    blasting said:

Nice knife and all, but your daughter is a cutie pie.

She's so much fun at this age. Walking all over and just as happy as any baby I have ever heard of. She's got me wrapped around her fingers already!
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Just get the Dexter ones. One issue with those polished handles is how slippery they get, especially with chicken.
    Wusthof's patented "Nukenkrany" system allows the natural formation of gunk in the rivets and edges, to provide a non slip grip. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

It's great that you are enjoying her!  Time sure flies - that was 13 years ago for me and seems like yesterday.  

Phoenix 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Really nice
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I really don't want to discuss your slippery chicken...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Nice knives. Personally, I would get the boning knife first. +1 on the cute daughter.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • bweekes
    bweekes Posts: 725
    Options
    @Thatgrimguy - those are great knives. In fact, I have the same set myself. One thing to keep in mind is the unique edge angle on the classic ikon series. It's a 14 degree edge, and if you want to maintain that angle, you should consider investing in an electric sharpener that positions the blade at the right angle to produce a 14 degree edge. Wushtof makes a PTEC sharpener that does just that - don't mean to cost you extra money, but those knives will last a lifetime if they are well cared for. 
    Ajax, ON Canada
    (XL BGE, MED BGE, La Caja China #2, and the wife's Napoleon gasser)
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    Options
    Love the Ikon series knives!  Hoping to find some when I stop in at a Williams Sonoma so I can see which ones I like.  They are definitely on my wish list.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Cool steel! Love them. 
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Nice Knives. I'd go w. the 5" boning as the next.  I don't fish, and rarely buy whole fish, so my fillet knife sees rare use.

Notes. You immediately discovered the big difference between standard knives, and sharp ones w. acute bevels. They slice fingers really easy. I have 1 truly scary sharp knife. The first time I took it out of the box, I looked away, and the blade brushed my left arm. Or so I supposed. I didn't feel anything. But I sliced away a patch of skin big enough I had to cover it w. a gauze pad. Which leads to the next caution. Keep your cutie and maybe your wife away from the good knives. I saw a vid made by a pro sharpeners, and he said that he doesn't allow his 5 & 7 year olds in the same room when he is working. And, he mentioned that whenever you lay the knife down, make sure the edge is always opposite your body. Likewise, if it falls to the floor, don't try to stop it by putting a foot out, unless you want to shoes without a big slice in it.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Another one to consider is a bread knife- works great for bread, tomatoes, etc. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    bweekes said:
    @Thatgrimguy - those are great knives. In fact, I have the same set myself. One thing to keep in mind is the unique edge angle on the classic ikon series. It's a 14 degree edge, and if you want to maintain that angle, you should consider investing in an electric sharpener that positions the blade at the right angle to produce a 14 degree edge. Wushtof makes a PTEC sharpener that does just that - don't mean to cost you extra money, but those knives will last a lifetime if they are well cared for. 
    I have a Ken onion work sharp electric sharpener. It was one of the main motivators for me to get a couple fancy kitchen knives!
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    I still have a full set of Cutco knives which are good enough for my wife and for all the one off blades. The Semi-serrated edge they use is fine if you don't want to care for your own blades. But I needed a few nice straight edge blades I could care for myself.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    well now that you know the knife is sharp =) dont go putting it in the sink, its not good for the knife and imagine blindly reaching into soapy water and slicing yourself or others with that blade ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    well now that you know the knife is sharp =) dont go putting it in the sink, its not good for the knife and imagine blindly reaching into soapy water and slicing yourself or others with that blade ;)
    I'm going to keep the 3 or 4 Ikon's I end up with in a knife roll and clean them on the way in and on the way out and basically never set them down in between. The farking things are expensive.
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Brother Grimm she sure is cutie. 
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    @Thatgrimguy  you're smart buying them one at a time instead a set with stuff you seldom use.  I'm a Wusthof Classic fan myself but I believe the only difference is the handles. I agree with @gdenby and @SciAggie that a boning knife would be you're next best addition. I love my Nakiri and my wife and daughters like the Santukos. I would suggest a block as opposed to the roll. I have a roll but it's reserved for my knives when they travel. I have a 25 slot Wusthof block which was the largest available when I bought it. It's full and I'm looking at the 35 slot.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • noregard
    noregard Posts: 306
    Options
    I've been using Wusthoff Classics for several years now and really like them.  I would recommend the boning knife for your next one, it sees a lot of use in our house.  My wife uses it for pretty much everything, despite my constant harassment "you know we have proper knives for different jobs right????".

I recently bought a Shun utility knife, and though I've only used it a few times, I'm not blown away like I hoped I'd be.  
    Lethbridge, Alberta         LBGE & MM
  • Beavercreek_Smoker
    Options
    I am a big Wusthoff fan and own 4 but I also own a couple Shun knifes. Stupid sharp out of the box! I had the 7 inch chef knife for over 2 years before I sharpened it. I've had the sandwitch knife for several years and it's still razor sharp. I don't use that one everyday but it's my wife's favorite when she needs a knife. She likes the lightness of it. 

I run them across a steel every couple uses. The German knives are a sturdier knife but need a little more attention to keep the edge. 

Neither is better or worse than the other. Just a different feel to them. Both brands can cut tissue paper if the edge is maintained. A person needs to hold them and feel the ballance to really evaluate what they like. 

One last sat thing. I would NEVER recommend Hinckle brand. They used to also be a respected brand but their stuff is now outsourced to China. Might as well buy a Walmart knife. I have a pre-China bread knife from them. Love it and a must have for a fresh baked crusty bread. 
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    The Japanese Vs German debate for me came to down to care requirements vs hardness. 

The Wusthoff can take more more abuse and not get ruined. It's going to take a trip through the dishwasher or being left in the sink and can easily be brought back to life. But it's going to need constant honing because it bends instead of breaking.

The Japanese steel is harder but more brittle. I will hold it's edge longer because it's harder steel. The downside is it needs more care and attention because It will chip instead of bend. 

I'd rather sharpen/hone more often and have a blade that I'm less likely to break. I also like the heft of the Wusthoff.
  • Mosca
    Mosca Posts: 456
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I've never been one to buy really good knives; "okay enough" knives have been right for me. But then last week the Global G2 8" chefs knife was Amazon deal of the day, $160 discounted to $65. And, aside from the fact that it is way too good a knife for me, I had to buy $75 worth of stuff to care for it! (Ceramic rod, whetstone, and a blade guard.)

Its almost like having a little Egg in the drawer to buy things for!
  • Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Options
    The Japanese Vs German debate for me came to down to care requirements vs hardness. 

The Wusthoff can take more more abuse and not get ruined. It's going to take a trip through the dishwasher or being left in the sink and can easily be brought back to life. But it's going to need constant honing because it bends instead of breaking.

The Japanese steel is harder but more brittle. I will hold it's edge longer because it's harder steel. The downside is it needs more care and attention because It will chip instead of bend. 

I'd rather sharpen/hone more often and have a blade that I'm less likely to break. I also like the heft of the Wusthoff.
    Knife steel is a source of ENDLESS debate.   The Japanese are big into types like VG-10 which is a very good steel.  My pocket knife is made with S30V a 'powdered' metal of extremely fine grain.   It is also difficult to sharpen.   My kitchen stuff is a cheap alloy called 440A.   Fairly easy to sharpen and reasonably ductile.     440C is where I'd start.   

In addition to German and Japanese players, the Chinese make series of well regarded steels which formats like ::  8CR14MoV.  
    And if THAT wasn't enough, a US company named Crucible Industries makes a huge selection of tool steel, knife steel and many other specialty alloys.  

Custom Knife Makers ($$$$$) can have specialty steels forumulated to THEIR specs or use off the shelf alloys with great attention paid to fit, finish and final heat treatment.   

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Wow, I really like the shape of that knife. That'll be great to work with. 

@Mosca I was skeptical of the globals since the handle is so different. I love mine now. Very comfortable to use. You'll have to report back on sharpening. I figured I could pay to get them sharpened for a long time before the stones would pay off. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Mosca said:
    ...And, aside from the fact that it is way too good a knife for me, I had to buy $75 worth of stuff to care for it! (Ceramic rod, whetstone, and a blade guard.)

Its almost like having a little Egg in the drawer to buy things for!

The stuff to care for it will prove its worth. Doing your own sharpening can be a pain, particularly if you are pressed for time. But about half my "cheap" knives perform just fine when they have a fresh edge. You might be surprised that a few of your ordinary knives have some good steel in them. And if they don't, they are fine for practice.