Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Warranty parts....

Options
dougcrann
dougcrann Posts: 1,129
How many folks on here have had to use the warranty? Out of those of us that have had to, how many have had to pay the freight? What about the broken parts, did your dealer demand that you turn them in. My dealer is being an azzhat....

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    At least 3 fireboxes over 16 years. First two replacements were just handed to me when I walked to report them and walked out with replacements in hand! No picture, no broken box, no nothing...just my word! The last onethey did request a picture because their distributer required it for a claim. Otherwise I still walked out with a replacement in hand and THEN took a picture and emailed it. I have seen my dealer's inventory of replacement parts and I am impressed. Gotta suggest you might ask your dealer in a friendly way "may I see your replacement inventory"
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Firebox, grate, fire ring and base.  Emailed pics to dealer, picked up new parts about a week later.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I haven't had to replace much (mini fire ring and fire box and large plate setter). BGE was more than accommodating. I have zero complaints. No shipping, no turned in broken parts. BGE did ask me to email pics. Hey, that's to be expected in my book. Their warranty and service is top notch in my book.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I've had one base replaced. Walked in with a pic and out with a new base but my dealer wanted the broken base back the next time it was convenient for me. He had it within a couple of days.  No worries because I had no use for the broken part. 
     On a side note just curious as to why people file a claim and don't go ahead a use the new part.  The warranty also covers the new part as well 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    This is our protocol too Doug, but I'm sure different distributors have different protocols. Most dealer won't have any replacement inventory. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    dougcrann said:
    How many folks on here have had to use the warranty? Out of those of us that have had to, how many have had to pay the freight? What about the broken parts, did your dealer demand that you turn them in. My dealer is being an azzhat....
    Never paid freight and never had to turn in the old parts. Still have my old base as a pepper garden. I had to send pics. That was it. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • dougcrann
    Options
    Dealer is just being a di#k
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    dougcrann said:
    Never paid freight and never had to turn in the old parts. Still have my old base as a pepper garden. I had to send pics. That was it. 
    My dealer brought my base in on his next shipment so I didn't have to pay freight. He's high volume so it was like a week or something like that. This wasn't even the dealer I bought that egg from. I moved close to him and he handled it no prob. I've bought 4 eggs from him now do I don't get any flack when I walk in. 

Ive heard some other dealers that don't have shipments coming in as often do charge freight for replacement parts which makes sense- the dealer shouldn't have to eat it either. It's a BGE warranty so that is on them. but I can say it sure is nice to be able to piggy back on to their stock orders. Especially on something large like a base. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • pgprescott
    Options
    dougcrann said:
    My dealer brought my base in on his next shipment so I didn't have to pay freight. He's high volume so it was like a week or something like that. This wasn't even the dealer I bought that egg from. I moved close to him and he handled it no prob. I've bought 4 eggs from him now do I don't get any flack when I walk in. 

Ive heard some other dealers that don't have shipments coming in as often do charge freight for replacement parts which makes sense- the dealer shouldn't have to eat it either. It's a BGE warranty so that is on them. but I can say it sure is nice to be able to piggy back on to their stock orders. Especially on something large like a base. 
    Spot on. 
  • dougcrann
    Options
    Not saying the dealer should eat the freight. The way this has worked in the past...I send dealer a picture...dealer forwards in onto the distributor.  When there is a pallet ready to be shipped warranty part is included. What happened this time....sent picture in...verified dealer received it....keep in mind that this was a warranty fire ring that I had in my possession for a couple of months....when I cut the box open it was busted. Anyhow....was told that the distributor wants it back. I stopped by on Monday to drop it off....was told my replacement would be here Thursday....5 minutes later I get an email stating it wouldn't be. Gut feeling is they never ordered it. Contacted Duane at BGE today, sent him a picture and details about it. Sent dealer and email telling them I was very displeased...got a rather obnoxious email from the dealer....then an apology...can't help but wonder what that was about...there is another dealer just a mile down the road. Talked to Duane about using them to take care of this. He told me he would be contacting the Distributor and dealer...and would get back to me. He also told me if I want to use the other dealer I would need to talk to them so they could talk to the distributor...
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I am on my third fire box, second lump grate and second Plate Setter.  I have just recently asked for the lump grate and fire box back.  That reminds me I need to take the fire good back into them.  They have not asked my to pay for fraight, but I have had wait for the next order to come in to get my warranty item.  I have a great dealer, I hear not all are.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • pgprescott
    Options
    They could give you one off the floor if they have multiples set up too. Sounds like you guys have rubbed each other wrong somehow. Too bad. You'll get the part, of that I'm sure. 
  • dougcrann
    Options
    I am on my third fire box, second lump grate and second Plate Setter.  I have just recently asked for the lump grate and fire box back.  That reminds me I need to take the fire good back into them.  They have not asked my to pay for fraight, but I have had wait for the next order to come in to get my warranty item.  I have a great dealer, I hear not all are.
    That's the thing...I waited for THIS pallet....now it appears I will have to wait for the NEXT. Granted...I didn'tbuy the Egg from him....but the dealer I did buy it from WAS 1300 miles away....notice I said WAS...they are closed...the way I read the warranty I can go to ANY dealer...
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    This is part of the printed BGE Warranty:

12. SHIPPING AND DELIVERY: BGE is not liable for shipping, delivery charges, labor, packaging costs, export/import duties, VAT or any levied taxes resulting from any Warranty claim, service, repair or return, unless authorized in advance in writing by BGE.

This is part of Komado Joe's printed Warranty:

This warranty does not apply to labor, freight, or any other cost associated with the service, repair or operation of the grill.

Neither company promises to provide free shipping.  That's not to say that both companies don't provide it, just that they don't have to provide it.  That's why it's advisable to approach dealers with that in mind.  E-mails, like forum posts, have a high probability of not conveying the same information as a face-to-face discussion.  It's easy for the exchange of information to go sideways.

My warranty experience has been very good ... told my dealer about one problem, he handed me the part off the shelf and asked me to drop off the bad part the next time I came into the store.  For the last warranty item, I showed him a picture of the hairline crack in my plate setter, he asked me to keep using it until it broke ... I've no problem with that, 'cuz I'm positive he'll give me one off the floor when it breaks.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    After having a crack in my firebox for 3 years, it finally broke. Called the dealer from where I purchased the Egg and all he wanted was a picture emailed to him. 2 days later he had the part. From my understanding the distributor paid for the UPS shipping to his store. The warranty parts are independent of his orders. I was never asked to return the broken part.
  • dougcrann
    Options

12. SHIPPING AND DELIVERY: BGE is not liable for shipping, delivery charges, labor, packaging costs, export/import duties, VAT or any levied taxes resulting from any Warranty claim, service, repair or return, unless authorized in advance in writing by BGE.

This warranty does not apply to labor, freight, or any other cost associated with the service, repair or operation of the grill.

Neither company promises to provide free shipping.  That's not to say that both companies don't provide it, just that they don't have to provide it.  That's why it's advisable to approach dealers with that in mind.  E-mails, like forum posts, have a high probability of not conveying the same information as a face-to-face discussion.  It's easy for the exchange of information to go sideways.

My warranty experience has been very good ... told my dealer about one problem, he handed me the part off the shelf and asked me to drop off the bad part the next time I came into the store.  For the last warranty item, I showed him a picture of the hairline crack in my plate setter, he asked me to keep using it until it broke ... I've no problem with that, 'cuz I'm positive he'll give me one off the floor when it breaks.
    I read the warranty...and like I have said previous.....at least I think I did...in the past my warranty stuff has always just been added to an existing pallet. Dealer went as far as telling me if I was in a hurry I could pony up the bucks for shipping. Like I already said....was told it would be here Thursday....now who knows....
  • dougcrann
    Options
    When I was in the dealer on Monday I was talking to him about a Mini Max. Really like the size of it....had every intention of picking one up on Thursday when I went to pick up the ring....Prior to all this crap happening...Guess I will be going down the road....
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Firebowl was cracked on mine.  I had to send pics to dealer and wait a week.  Then I picked up the new firebowl from the dealer when it came in.  No freight.  I am a little disappointed that they can't just hand you a new part and you are on your way.

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Multiple Fireboxes & Firerings. 2 CI LG grids when I first got it, 2 PS and fire grate. Provided pics in an email and went to dealer to pick up the parts. Didn't have to leave the old parts with them. I think there is some discretion when it comes to the process itself. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    I've been lucky with ceramics so far. One cracked fire grate for my large and a replacement grid for my small. The grate was shipped to my house for free after a couple calls and the grid was picked up a week or so later
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Options

fYI,  Kamado joe ships the part straight to your front door for free.   This of course could change.

• odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Options

fYI,  Kamado joe ships the part straight to your front door for free.   This of course could change.

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Broken Firebox, Fire, Fire Grate and Large Base. I was asked to pay freight on everything however since I had purchased 2 eggs from the same dealer they decided to let it go on the base and fire box. However I paid $15 for the grate and $15 for the ring even though I told them not to special order it and it was confirmed that it was shipped with a regular fall Eggfest order so the dealer did not pay freight.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• RRP
    Options
    Broken Firebox, Fire, Fire Grate and Large Base. I was asked to pay freight on everything however since I had purchased 2 eggs from the same dealer they decided to let it go on the base and fire box. However I paid $15 for the grate and $15 for the ring even though I told them not to special order it and it was confirmed that it was shipped with a regular fall Eggfest order so the dealer did not pay freight.
    And you are still doing business with that dealer? Why? 
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    @RRP - Not doing business with them after the last battle. Haven't been back even for their annual eggfest. Found another one with way better people. The grate and the ring were at different times and both items were instock.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    edited March 2016
    Options
    That is really strange. They gave cooks at the fest something like $25-$30 in store credit. They didn't carry any small Kick Ash Baskets but they went out of their way to get me one ordered. Hopefully they don't keep that garbage up with the eggs.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    odie91 said:

... there is some discretion when it comes to the process itself. 
    @odie91 & @NPHuskerFL ... you guys are reinforcing the point I tried to make. The bottom line is that your "contract" with both companies states that they do not have to pay for shipping warranty parts. 

If you have a good dealer and you have a good relationship with that dealer then yes, they will most likely help you out with free shipping.  If he has plenty of inventory, he may hand it to you on the spot.  If he's low on inventory, then he might be hesitant to hand you a part that could leave him with an egg he can't sell right away.  If he helps you out, appreciate the favor.

If your dealer isn't inclined to help you out, then like @RRP suggests, try another one. 

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    Options
    Warranty replacement base.  E-mailed pics to dealer-new base arrived on next regular shipment (about 10 days time).  Never asked for old part.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • RRP
    Options
    Thing I've never understood is why some dealers want the broken parts back. Though it didn't use to be now we just have to email a picture since the distributor wants that to support the claim. 
  • XLentEGG
    XLentEGG Posts: 436
    Options
    XL Dome , had to pay 25$for freight, but no turn in, just a pic...Changed dealer....XL Base and Firebox on the way , no freight. Just have to wait until he places a stock order. No turn in, just a pic.
    More meat please !! :-)