Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question on cooking raised direct

Options
I am about to put a pork tenderloin on for dinner. I was going to go indirect but I've seen posts using direct. Is there any concern with the meat picking a bad taste from grease drippings creating bad smoke?
Basking  Ridge, NJ - XL with KAB

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I always do mine raised direct. 400°, 5 minutes per side (20 total). YMMV of course, but that's they way I like 'em.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    I've never had a problem with drippings from anything creating a bad smoke.  Should be good to go!  

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    i never have problems with dripping fat, except from burgers and maybe (matbe) chicken.

but it is a tenderloin.  no fat is gonna drip from that thing anyway.  no real fat in or on them
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• kcw
    kcw Posts: 58
    Options
    Pork  tenderloin has no drippings, it's a lean cut of meat direct till around 145-150 internal temp. 
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    The last two pork tenderloins I cooked started with a sear on all sides with the grate close to the fire, then raised direct at lower temps to finish.  Turned out great!  Never had a problem with bad taste from grease drippings..
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.