Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First bag of Rockwood all rubble. Never again.

Options
Ordered from Firecraft. Those two large pieces that you see are the only two pieces that are not like the rest of what is in the picture. Bottle caps included for scale.

I am am going to complain to Firecraft, but there is no way I'm packing up a 20lb bag of charcoal and sending it back. I'll burn it and lesson learned.

Comments

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I hate you got a bad delivery.

I order from them all the time and usually have good results- I suspect the issue is shipping and not firecraft. 

Either way way the small pieces will burn fine- just need to create some lower spots to make sure you get airflow. 

Greensboro, NC
  • annjamaican
    annjamaican Posts: 152
    Options
    Interesting. I order Rockwood from FireCraft as well and my lump is always in primo condition. Perhaps they will make it right if you contact them?
    - Jamaican living in rural Western Washington
    - Got my first egg (XL) in October 2015
  • Mosca
    Mosca Posts: 456
    Options
    Wolfpack said:
    I hate you got a bad delivery.

I order from them all the time and usually have good results- I suspect the issue is shipping and not firecraft. 

Either way way the small pieces will burn fine- just need to create some lower spots to make sure you get airflow. 

There are absolutely no pieces to use to create lower spots, aside from the two pieces in the photo the bag is entirely rubble. I could fit ten pounds of coal into one cook.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Mail ordering anything brittle is taking a chance. Just opened a new bag of Rockwood today.  

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Mosca
    Options

Interesting. I order Rockwood from FireCraft as well and my lump is always in primo condition. Perhaps they will make it right if you contact them?
    I sent an email, along with the photo. But there is no way I am shipping forty pounds of burnt wood back for a refund. I'll burn it and move on, and never again. 

By by the way, a shake and feel of the second bag indicates that it is the same as the first. But I'm not opening it, I have nowhere to store it.

Like most of us, it's not the money. Although no one likes to get burnt, I can take a hit of $50 without any trouble. It's about having high expectations dashed, and that ugly feeling you get when you feel like you've been had.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Mosca said:
    Ordered from Firecraft. Those two large pieces that you see are the only two pieces that are not like the rest of what is in the picture. Bottle caps included for scale.

I am am going to complain to Firecraft, but there is no way I'm packing up a 20lb bag of charcoal and sending it back. I'll burn it and lesson learned.
    Please contact them......they'll take care of you.  You're not going to be expected to send it back.

Firecraft sells tens of thousands of our bags every year, and their sales continue to grow.  Occasionally this happens.  If this was the norm, I can guarantee they would NOT be selling tens of thousands of bags every year--they would be selling next to none because the consumer wouldn't pay a premium for a beat to hell bag.  The consumer would take the stand that you have above and buy something else. 

Sorry for the trouble.  Like I said, it happens......it just sucks it happened to you.  Please contact Firecraft and they'll fix it.  They might be a little slow to respond early this week--we were all down at HPBA Expo in New Orleans through Saturday.  Firecraft's president and I were out until the wee hours of 10pm on Thursday talking charcoal and the BBQ biz.  Great group of people--have faith please.
  • Mosca
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Mosca said:

Please contact them......they'll take care of you.  You're not going to be expected to send it back.

Firecraft sells tens of thousands of our bags every year, and their sales continue to grow.  Occasionally this happens.  If this was the norm, I can guarantee they would NOT be selling tens of thousands of bags every year--they would be selling next to none because the consumer wouldn't pay a premium for a beat to hell bag.  The consumer would take the stand that you have above and buy something else. 

Sorry for the trouble.  Like I said, it happens......it just sucks it happened to you.  Please contact Firecraft and they'll fix it.  They might be a little slow to respond early this week--we were all down at HPBA Expo in New Orleans through Saturday.  Firecraft's president and I were out until the wee hours of 10pm on Thursday talking charcoal and the BBQ biz.  Great group of people--have faith please.
    I did send them an email, including the photo. But it would be an easy scam for someone to pull. I didn't ask for anything. If they want to do something, great, if not, that's fine too.
  • Mosca
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Mosca said:
     I did send them an email, including the photo. But it would be an easy scam for someone to pull. I didn't ask for anything. If they want to do something, great, if not, that's fine too.
    Don't assume everything is a "scam" or you were "had" as you put it.  There are plenty of us out there that run respectable businesses and take care of our customers.  At least give us the chance to fix things before losing hope.
    I meant it would be an easy scam for a consumer to perpetrate on a company. Sorry for writing unsuccinctly. But I did write "feel like" I was had, and I did intend the difference. Feelings just are. 
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    Charcoal is a lot like Forest Gump's box of chocolates.........you never know what your going to get.
    That's why I don't have any particular brand loyalty. I've bought expensive charcoal from the specialty stores and it be no better that the big box store's Royal Oak..........sometimes I get lucky and sometimes I don't.
  • Mosca
    Options
    Looks fine to me, to be honest. Not sure what the fetish for huge chunks is

and EVERY manufacturer puts out a bad bag or three once in a while.  Way too many variables in the process for us to expect  perfection at a reasonable price

For a premium brand at a premium price I expect at least a mix of sizes. Gravel sized lump clogs the holes on the charcoal grate. And, this stuff is downright tiny. The entire bag top to bottom does not have a single piece even the size of a tennis ball, other than the two in the photo. Most of it is between the size of a marble and a golf ball. 
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    In terms of size, how roughly a bag was handled in the distribution process determines what you get. In fact, the better charcoals are more brittle due to the higher level of carbonization.  I have had Rockwood that was nothing but small pieces and some that was full of much larger pieces.  I have had Royal Oak that was nothing but small pieces and some that was full of much larger pieces.  The thing that is more consistent within a brand is the level of carbonization.  Rockwood has less wood fiber in the pieces than Royal Oak. Royal Oak has less wood fiber in the pieces than some other brands.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Have you used it? I agree with @Darby_Crenshaw. I don't want football size pieces. Geez, at least use it before you have a fit. It'll burn fine. The owner of the company is trying to help you ffs.  
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Mosca
    Options
    It doesn't matter. I don't really want anything. I got a chance to **** about it and I took it. I was expecting something different. I got what I got. I complained. It will resolve itself. I have too much other **** going on to think about it any more. If small lump is as good as big lump, fine. I'll post about it here when my fire goes out overnight mid-brisket because there wasn't enough air flow. And life will go on, if that's the worst thing that happens I'm just a grumpy old guy.
  • victor1
    victor1 Posts: 225
    Options
    I ordered 5 bags before Christmas and it was find.  Firecraft is an excellent  company and great to deal with. As a thought, it might be a better idea to to give Fire Craft the opportunity to correct the problem before taking them to task here.  They don't make the charcoal and don't have control how its handled in shipping.  I'm sure they will help you out if you give them the opportunity.
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I'm betting you are taken care of and I hope when you are you give them credit. Most cmpanies out there don't give a rat's ass and wouldn't give it a second thought. The owner of rockwood is trying to be sure its made right. Says a lot about him and his company, in my opinion. 

Little Rock, AR

• henapple
    Options
    Smfh 
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    I'm looking at a picture of charcoal that will burn just fine in a BGE. Don't see what the problem is. 
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I never get the fetish of big lump pieces or building a fire, I pour the bag in each time, fuel is fuel.
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    edited March 2016
    Options
  • henapple
    Options
    Compensation 
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    TBH that's how my rock wood always looks. Works fine

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Eggaroo
    Eggaroo Posts: 417
    Options
    Mosca said:
    It doesn't matter. I don't really want anything. I got a chance to **** about it and I took it. I was expecting something different. I got what I got. I complained. It will resolve itself. I have too much other **** going on to think about it any more. If small lump is as good as big lump, fine. I'll post about it here when my fire goes out overnight mid-brisket because there wasn't enough air flow. And life will go on, if that's the worst thing that happens I'm just a grumpy old guy.
    i agree!
    Greenwood, IN | XL BGE | Weber Genesis | Blackstone 28 | bunch of accessories  =)
  • Jcl5150
    Jcl5150 Posts: 280
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I ordered five bags of Rockwood from Firecraft to save on shipping and received it just last week.  The first bag was awesome.  One piece was the size of a football, but even the smaller pieces burned just as well, obviously.  Give Firecraft another chance...Rockwood is worth it.
  • henapple
    Options
    I agree... I opened a new beer the other day. Looked weird and different so I threw it out. I'm sure it sucked... I guess I'll never know.