Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Primer & Paint Recommendations Needed for A36 Mild Steel Fence Project

Options
nolan8v
nolan8v Posts: 400
I'm finishing up a DIY fence project (started by previous homeowner) and am looking for a good primer and paint that can be applied to this steel after it is cleaned.

My plans are to clean this steel with a knot wire cup and/or wheel brush on an angle grinder, wipe down with acetone, apply one coat of primer, then two coats of paint. I am currently looking for oil based primer & paint products but am open to any suggestions, recommendations, etc.

The posts (3" x 3" x 3/16" square tube) were sand-blasted and do not have any mill scale on them. Some of the pickets (3/4" square bar) were also sand-blasted. However, the majority of the steel still has the mill scale on it. i don't plan to remove the mill scale above what the wire brushes may remove.

Post caps and finials will also be primed and painted before I place them on the posts.

I'm not concerned about the cost. However, I want whatever primer and paint used to last for a long time.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

"You can live in any city in America, but New Orleans is the only city that lives in you."
Chris Rose 

Comments