Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket finished too early, need advice

Options
Smoker317
Smoker317 Posts: 238
edited March 2016 in Beef
Last night I started the egg around 8:30 PM.  I thought that it was stabilized at 230 a couple hours later, between applying the rub and watching basketball I didn't get the 6# brisket on until around 10:30 ish.  My temp dropped to 200 so I waited to see if it would recover.  The temp did recover a bit to around 210 after 30 minutes.  So I cracked the daisy a bit more and the bottom vent; I got the temp back to 240 where it stayed until I went to bed at 1:AM.   At three AM my high temp alarm goes off at 265 degrees.  At this point I am irritated that my sweet spot of 230 that I normally find easily is not to be with this smoke.  The brisket temp was 240 at this point.  I brought the brisket in, sprinkled some more rub on and a little brown sugar and triple wrapped tight.  It went into a 210 degree oven.  I figured I had all day Sunday to get the temp past the stall and still have 3-4 hours for it to rest.

On a side note, I was at the bottom of my royal oak bag and instead of dumping it, I hand pulled out the charcoal to not dump all of the dust in the egg.  We did pizzas a couple nights ago and I let the egg burn out and then cleaned the ash out last night before starting.  Wondering if my charcoal had moisture in it?  My temps just kept going all over the place which is unusual for setup.  I had put in 2 hickory chunks that I laid around the front edge of the coal.  My fire was in the middle put not perfectly centered kind of going towards the rear.

I just put the probe in 20 minutes ago at 8:30 AM and it went in like butter.  The temp is 201 right now, I shut the oven off immediately and left it wrapped.   We are not eating until 5:30 PM this afternoon.  So what do I do?  Let it rest for a couple hours and put in fridge and then warm back up?  I was planning on pulling off around 190-195 so I have already missed that mark.  Looks like we are going to have pulled brisket as this will never stand up to slicing.  Nothing is going right with this cook right now.

Egghead since November 2014, XL-BGE & ET-732
Smobot
Living near Indy
36" Blackstone

Comments

• Smoker317
    Options
    Brisket now 203 after the oven has been turned off for 30 minutes.
    Smobot
    Living near Indy
    36" Blackstone
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,976
    Options
    I'd get the ingredients for brisket chili and make that.  It'll be great.

I am confused as to why you thought a 6 pound brisket might take up to 18 hours to cook.  I've never seen one take anywhere close to that long.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    You can also see the responses I got here:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1168281/brisket-cooked-way-too-fast-looking-for-advice/p1

I followed @SGH's advice, and it worked out OK moisture wise.  A bit hard to slice at the end but not because it was too dry.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    230 - 260. Virtually no difference. Your oven won't be nearly that precise. I agree with JIC, a small Briskey won't take near that long. Also, the wrapping only accelerates the cook, but should help in moisture retention. It'll be fine. Take it out for a couple hours then put it back in a while and repeat. 
  • Smoker317
    edited March 2016
    Options

I am confused as to why you thought a 6 pound brisket might take up to 18 hours to cook.  I've never seen one take anywhere close to that long.
    Don't be confused, I am just an idiot.  I am going to try what SGH said.  My oven goes to 170.  I am going to hold and we can eat around 4PM.  LOL.  Thanks for the quick response.
    Smobot
    Living near Indy
    36" Blackstone
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Smoker317 said:

Don't be confused, I am just an idiot.
    Haha don't worry - we've all done stupid things cooking on Eggs.  There have been entire threads on the topic.
  • Smoker317
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Just put in a little beef broth and thought I would snap a picture.  It smells good.  I didn't completely unwrap, the brisket stretches out the width of the pan.
    Smobot
    Living near Indy
    36" Blackstone