Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Secret? Need crust help please!

Options
tcracing
tcracing Posts: 378
edited March 2016 in EggHead Forum
I have cooked alot of pizzas, but I can't seem to get the crust crunchy. It cooks, but we prefer a crunchy crust. Any help would be appreciated. I use Publix's dough, and cook the Pizza at 450-500°. I have even tried to heat my BGE deep pan up before I put the crust in it. I cook the crust for 8 minutes, pull and add toppings, and put back on for 14 minutes. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Tim
George Foreman? Who? 
Tim C. Panama City, Fl. 
Large, Minimax-soon

Comments

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Should have to cook crust before adding toppings.  I would try to roll it a lot thinner- 

also make sure you are letting the stone heat up for 30-45 minutes at temp before adding pizza. 

I think temp for that type dough should be fine.  Biggest fix is to get thin.
    Greensboro, NC
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    I like thin crust pizzas in my egg the best. never had a lack of crunchiness with a thin crust. maybe up the temp 50 degrees or more, do some test cooks, just to see what happens. if you burn one in a test cook you've learned that was too hot. experience is the best teacher :-)
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    follow Varasano's guide for dough.  Works every time except the one time i thought i knew better. High hydration dough 65%, autolyse and use a sourdough culture starter.  This is a lot of up front learning but once you get the hang of it youll never go back.  Heck you will even find your homemade crust is better than most well known pizzerias.  And when cooking on bge, heat up stone for an hour, and good pies are cooked at around 650.  Much more than that doesnt work for me...lower results in crust that is not properly baked for good puffiness amd thin center that is pretty crispy.   
  • kdink
    kdink Posts: 336
    Options
    I was told once to add less lump, have lower grate open slightly and top wheel open larger to increase the flow up through the egg.  It worked for me,
    2 Xl's, MM and Forno Bello
    Pizza Oven in Bergen County, NJ